News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

10 Things About Yourself

Started by Cecilie, May 16, 2010, 10:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

En_Route

I've no doubt that some cultures have healthier attitudes to sex. Though I must say that for the most part in the UK and Ireland a lot of the old taboos have been abandoned and homophobia has greatly abated.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

technolud

All things being equal aside, I agree with this:

QuoteI'm not a fan of cultural relativism. Some cultures are barbarous and their mores and values create  far more unneccessary pain and suffering than liberal, democratic cultures. So it is not a matter for lamenting if they are displaced. Of course how they are displaced is another issue and that has to be weighed in the balance. I'm simply saying that all other things being equal the disappearance of some cultures should be a cause of celebration.

Morality may be relativistic, but unnecessary pain should be avoided when possible.

Recusant

Quote from: harte.beest on May 14, 2012, 11:17:22 PM
Quote from: Firebird on May 14, 2012, 09:15:58 PM
Quote from: harte.beest on May 13, 2012, 05:05:53 AM7. Feel uncomfortable around jews.
Care to elaborate here?
Everyone keeps trying to kill them, but there still here ....it's awkward is all I'm saying

I see that DeterminedJuliet has already asked you about this. I also will ask you to clarify your position. What exactly is awkward for you personally about the history of the oppression of the Jews, and the fact that they still exist as a distinct people? Your cryptic response to Firebird, as you can see, only raised another question.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

harte.beest

Quote from: Recusant on May 15, 2012, 12:10:11 AM
Quote from: harte.beest on May 13, 2012, 05:05:53 AM7. Feel uncomfortable around jews.
Care to elaborate here?
Everyone keeps trying to kill them, but there still here ....it's awkward is all I'm saying

I see that DeterminedJuliet has already asked you about this. I also will ask you to clarify your position. What exactly is awkward for you personally about the history of the oppression of the Jews, and the fact that they still exist as a distinct people? Your cryptic response to Firebird, as you can see, only raised another question.
They hold the record for the most attempted genocides. Alot of successful genocides (filled with child rape, slavery, torture) have occured, and many races are now extinct. But everytime someone tries to kill the Jews they never succeed.

The Native Americans are very jealous

DeterminedJuliet

Doesn't really explain the awkwardness
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Firebird

Quote from: harte.beest on May 15, 2012, 12:41:23 AM
Care to elaborate here?

They hold the record for the most attempted genocides. Alot of successful genocides (filled with child rape, slavery, torture) have occured, and many races are now extinct. But everytime someone tries to kill the Jews they never succeed.

I'm not sure I know what you're trying to imply here. Personally it sounds like you're trying to make an indirect anti-semitic comment while trying to cloud it with some sarcasm or irony. Deny it all you want, but I've seen too much crap like that before. So please cease and desist. I'd say more, but luckily I don't have to considering the great job that the moderators do. I say that with absolutely no sarcasm or irony.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Firebird

Quote from: technolud on May 15, 2012, 12:09:53 AM
All things being equal aside, I agree with this:

QuoteI'm not a fan of cultural relativism. Some cultures are barbarous and their mores and values create  far more unneccessary pain and suffering than liberal, democratic cultures. So it is not a matter for lamenting if they are displaced. Of course how they are displaced is another issue and that has to be weighed in the balance. I'm simply saying that all other things being equal the disappearance of some cultures should be a cause of celebration.

Morality may be relativistic, but unnecessary pain should be avoided when possible.

Yeah, I sympathize with this view more as well. Ayaan Hirsi Ali talked about this in her book "Infidel" about how Holland tried to form a multicultural society with the Islamists who were coming from Africa and the Middle East. Instead of integrating, they simply set up their own ghettos with their own schools and own rules, etc. Which was not good for the women, or people like Theo Van Gogh who were merely trying to express themselves in their Western country.
It does sound a little weird to be saying this. I am not a right-winger by any means, and have no issues with someone practicing their own religion/culture. But they need to respect the values of the country and culture they have chosen to live in, including rights of women, voting, respecting the court system, etc.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Tom62

I don't like the way this thread is going. HAF is not the place to make "jokes" about murder, genocide or racial superiority. That borders on hate speech. We are a forum with happy [a]theists as members, so let's keep it that way.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

kitty

Quote from: technolud on May 14, 2012, 09:16:40 PM
I like teenagers, including my own
I like gardening
I like cars
I can fix almost anything.  Its a curse.  Sometimes I get mad and say bad words while I do it.
I almost never get bored.
I'm totally comfortable with being an atheist.  Just seems so right.
I'm really glad I found the Happy Atheist Forum, but it is a little scary.  
I was born without the sports chromosome
My wife keeps me sane.
Everyone in my family, including Laszlo the dog, is smarter then me.  But I try harder

love it. i'm the simple one in the family, everyone else is academic (ish) and i'm the arty one (which is a nice way of saying, yr simple but you can do stuff with yr hands) lol.
i'm never bored coz i always have a bundle of projects going on, so i can pick and choose which one to work on at any time (does mean my house is a frickin mess lol).
and i too fix everything at least 3 times before it eventually goes in the bin (i have two boys that break stuff constantly grrrr).
nice to meet you sir, it that yr dog laszlo?
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? (Douglas Adams)

technolud

I lack the art gene as well as the sports one.  World needs more art me thinks.

Funny thing how being able to fix things can have a down side.  Its a struggle to (necessarily) let them go sometimes.

Laszlo shares my house but he's not really "mine".   I believe he views me as another Beta dog.  He's not very rules oriented.

kitty

Quote from: technolud on May 15, 2012, 11:07:57 AM
I lack the art gene as well as the sports one.  World needs more art me thinks.

Funny thing how being able to fix things can have a down side.  Its a struggle to (necessarily) let them go sometimes.

Laszlo shares my house but he's not really "mine".   I believe he views me as another Beta dog.  He's not very rules oriented.

haha. my terrier knows i'm boss & wouldnt dare step out of line (so far as i know. but she could be dreaming up extensive plans to take over the world).
i find it hard to throw things away too.
worse thing about being able to fix things, is that i can pretty much make anything too (usually with a sewing machine), so when someone wants something, they always come to me. thankfully, i dont have the 'cant say no' gene (unlike my husband), so i dont run myself completely ragged. but i have made some marvellous things, including a massive bedroom for a caravan awning.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? (Douglas Adams)

Ali

Quote from: Firebird on May 15, 2012, 03:01:53 AM
Care to elaborate here?

I'm not sure I know what you're trying to imply here. Personally it sounds like you're trying to make an indirect anti-semitic comment while trying to cloud it with some sarcasm or irony. Deny it all you want, but I've seen too much crap like that before. So please cease and desist. I'd say more, but luckily I don't have to considering the great job that the moderators do. I say that with absolutely no sarcasm or irony.

Seconded. I suspect you may be trying for edgy and funny, but if so, you're failing. Miserably. Cut it.

kitty

Quote from: Ali on May 15, 2012, 03:04:16 PM
Quote from: Firebird on May 15, 2012, 03:01:53 AM
Care to elaborate here?

Seconded. I suspect you may be trying for edgy and funny, but if so, you're failing. Miserably. Cut it.

thirded, as it were.

OldGit

The Magic Pudding

Ye well cut it or say what you mean.  If you're going to enter an area where the worst of humanity wallow I think it best to make your meaning clear, there's too much dog whistling that goes on.

Gypsies are still about.

I'm not aware of many indigenous peoples who have been totally wiped out.  It was claimed the Tasmanian Aborigines were all gone but their descendants beg to differ.

diaspora: 1) The body of Jews (or Jewish communities) outside Palestine or modern Israel
              2)The dispersion or spreading of something that was originally localized

It is no wonder that a widespread population can't be wiped out by a few hostile regimes.

That sounds kind of fatuous, in the absence of anything else I'm inclined to dismiss it as such.
I suppose native peoples could learn from the Jews, how to maintain their culture within another.  The problem of others resenting your success is a tricky one, I don't know if anyone has resolved that.