News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

How can you Atheist claim to base your life on science?

Started by pj084527, May 03, 2010, 03:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: "JillSwift"
Quote from: "MariaEvri"so... if we cant trust science.. is the earth still flat?
Turns out it's kinda burrito shaped.
Hmmmm burrito...
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Shine

I know that the OP will probably never read this, but Isaac Asimov has a great essay which addresses this exact issue of science being "wrong:"

Isaac Asimov: The Relativity of Wrong
http://chem.tufts.edu/AnswersInScience/RelativityofWrong.htm

QuoteWhat actually happens is that once scientists get hold of a good concept they gradually refine and extend it with greater and greater subtlety as their instruments of measurement improve. Theories are not so much wrong as incomplete.

This can be pointed out in many cases other than just the shape of the earth. Even when a new theory seems to represent a revolution, it usually arises out of small refinements. If something more than a small refinement were needed, then the old theory would never have endured.

(I'm sure that most people here have likely read this, so I apologize for the possible redundancy.  I just cannot resist posting this essay every time that I see a rant about science being "wrong.")

pinkocommie

Quote from: "Shine"(I'm sure that most people here have likely read this, so I apologize for the possible redundancy.  I just cannot resist posting this essay every time that I see a rant about science being "wrong.")

Nothing wrong with repeating information if it's relevant.  You never know who's been exposed to what.  :)
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Shine

Quote from: "pinkocommie"
Quote from: "Shine"(I'm sure that most people here have likely read this, so I apologize for the possible redundancy.  I just cannot resist posting this essay every time that I see a rant about science being "wrong.")

Nothing wrong with repeating information if it's relevant.  You never know who's been exposed to what.  :)  I guess that I am just always on the defense when posting on the interwebs, although most atheist fora are not populated by the brats that one sees on other more...juvenille boards.  I blame my defensiveness specifically on all the time I spent on World of Warcraft boards, haha. ;)

pj084527

You people want to know why I didn't reply to your responds here? It is because I I got discouraged debating you atheists.

Although very few of you are nice people, and open to new ideas. But so many of you are rude, condescending, ignorant, and blatanly unable to follow any logical argument. Frustrating!

Tank

Quote from: "pj084527"You people want to know why I didn't reply to your responds here? It is because I I got discouraged debating you atheists.

Although very few of you are nice people, and open to new ideas. But so many of you are rude, condescending, ignorant, and blatanly unable to follow any logical argument. Frustrating!
Nice! What a lovely person you are.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

pinkocommie

Quote from: "pj084527"You people want to know why I didn't reply to your responds here? It is because I I got discouraged debating you atheists.

People tend to react negatively to being insulted.  The sad thing is, you may have found some sympathy here if your posts didn't contain such grossly inaccurate and often insulting assumptions.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Asmodean

Quote from: "pj084527"How can you Atheist claim to base your life on science?
Let me see... I use electricity, drive car, pop pills, have a telephone, watch TV and surf on the Internet. How am I NOT basing my life on science..?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Whitney

Or you could tell the truth and have said it was because you are just a nasty person who was trolling the forum...but you are banned now so your chance to tell the truth here has passed.  If there is a baby jesus you sure have made him cry.

McQ

Rude, condescending, ignorant? What is it when you post and say, "You atheists"? As if ALL atheists are one entity. Talk about the ignorance and rudeness there. Nothing more ignorant than ignorance demonstrated.

I was a christian. I know what many christian sects believe. You seem to know absolutely nothing about the myriad of non-believers, and thanks for showing it here.

Now, you would be better off demonstrating how a christian acts, wouldn't you? Let's see if you know how to do that. Feel free to demonstrate it in your next post.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

kelltrill

Quote from: "Shine"I know that the OP will probably never read this, but Isaac Asimov has a great essay which addresses this exact issue of science being "wrong:"

Isaac Asimov: The Relativity of Wrong
http://chem.tufts.edu/AnswersInScience/RelativityofWrong.htm

Thank you so much for posting that, Shine ^_^ I've been looking for an article/essay like that for a while now and failing. This is perfect, and so well written. Asimov is too awesome. Thank you thank you thank you.
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

Whitney

Quote from: "McQ"Feel free to demonstrate it in your next post.

He can't because he got banned when his sockpuppet got banned.

Shine

Quote from: "kelltrill"Thank you so much for posting that, Shine ^_^ I've been looking for an article/essay like that for a while now and failing. This is perfect, and so well written. Asimov is too awesome. Thank you thank you thank you.

Yay, I'm glad that you enjoyed it!  It's one of my favorite essays.  :)