News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Re: Everybody Draw Mohammed Day!

Started by Whitney, May 03, 2010, 12:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSY

We already had a thread over in the media forum.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Whitney

Quote from: "SSY"We already had a thread over in the media forum.

it was actually in current events but now the threads are merged.

SSY

Good point, you've won this round.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Tank

Quote from: "kokaki1g"Have you guys heard of the Facebook group Everybody draw mohammed day? It's a protest against Islamic hipocrisy. I think it was wrong for Pakistan to censor South Park.
Pakistan didn't censor South Park, the producers did. There is a Facebook group Everybody draw mohammed day and Pakistan shut down Facebook in protest AFAIK.

Welcome aboard!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Byronazriel

I tried scetching Mohammed, but everyone thought it was the Unibomber...
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

Asmodean

I'd draw Mohammed if I had even the slightest idea of what he looked like. Beyond the assumption that he likely had a beard though, I can claim no knowledge.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Byronazriel

He looks kind of like a mixture of these two:

and

"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

Asmodean

...And you know that how, exactly..?

Maybe he looked like Gandalf in stead?  :hmm:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Byronazriel

I asked the local clergyman, that's the exact wording he used...

A mixture of Ted Nugent, and Ted Kazinskie (SP?)

Well not really, but that's what I got out of the conversation.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Byronazriel"I asked the local clergyman, that's the exact wording he used...

A mixture of Ted Nugent, and Ted Kazinskie (SP?)

Well not really, but that's what I got out of the conversation.
How would your local cleric know that Mohammed did not look like Gandalf?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Byronazriel

I don't know, he probably asked his god...

Intercourseman72

This whole controversy/fervor around "draw Muhammad day" has been very strange and confusing to me on several levels and has been further complicated since the recent outrage over the "not mosque at not ground zero".

First, it is obvious that this was one big grandiose troll event with slightly more of a principled message to stand on than that of most 4chan raids, but much less amusing. I personally enjoy hearing about things 4chan does in the news and so forth, but can also admire their base disregard for anyone they have contempt for in an honest way. In other words, they don't attempt to mask what they are doing by saying they are entitled to piss people off and deliberately offend because "goddamnit, this is the west (America) and we have the right not just to say whatever we want, but to say whatever the fuck we want!". It is self-evident that people are not entitled to keep everyone around them (as well as thousands of miles away from them) from offending them. The concept is absurd at least in my opinion. It however, does not seem to be so self-evident to most people who are so fervent about this draw Muhammad day.

I criticize those who support "Draw Muhammad Day" but don't apply these principles (buzz words in their contexts) of free speech and people not being entitled to retribution because they are offended to different scenarios. For instance, I seriously doubt many of these people would advocate dedicating a day to denying the holocaust, which is actually illegal to do in these "western" countries who supposedly support rights to freedom of speech and so forth. Nor would they advocate dedicating a day to calling Hispanics/Latinos/w/e wetbacks/spics/etc nor black people niggers just to say "deal with our insults towards you because it's my right to do so". I hear a lot of draw muhammad supporters saying "organized religion and/or Islam offends me, so I am entitled to offend people who believe in religion" (as they rightfully are entitled). However, I cannot imagine them saying "the arbitrary nature of political correctness and certain words and/or ideas warranting a hyper-sensitive response offend me and I will, therefore, retaliate by doing those very things that offend people."

There is this theoretical hypocrisy that I find in many supporters of "Draw Muhammad Day" that hasn't really been tested but I think can be reasonably assumed. There is also the demonstrated hypocrisy by many of these people who think that the city of New York should not allow the Park 51 Community Center to be built in downtown Manhattan because they are outraged and offended by such a gesture. Given the reactions of many Christians, Jews, and Atheists towards the construction of the community center had in recent months who also supported the antagonistic event of "Draw Muhammad Day", I can't see them as deserving of any praise for supporting the principles they claim to support. Thunderf00t is a prime example of this. While he said "the Muslims" in his ever so bigoted and ignorant language "have a right to build the 'mosque' but deserve whatever reaction they receive from those who are opposed to it." During the heat of the "Draw Muhammad Day" event, he expressed vehement disgust (as well as amusement) to the distasteful, pathetic actions of censorship the Pakistani government committed on that day and denounced retaliations made by Muslims in the past, but basically said that those who participate in the "mosque at ground zero" should accept whatever happens by those who wish for vindication.

Thunderf00t along with many others are clear and quintessential examples of un-principled ideologues who do not think reasonably nor skeptically when it comes to issues for which they have emotional investment but claim to be "rational skeptics".

I honestly would have preferred this "Draw Muhammad Day" thing to be done by 4chan because at least they would not claim some sort of moral high ground or bullshit defense of civil liberties when they clearly could not give a shit about such issues applied to other situations. At least it would have been funny and more successful if they did it.

PoopShoot

>Implying the holocaust actually happened.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Intercourseman72

Quote from: "PoopShoot">Implying the holocaust actually happened.

Yes, along with the Armenian genocide, the Japanese atrocities against the Chinese, the Stalinist purges throughout the Soviet Union, etc. There are no laws denying those other things, however. It's just that when someone publicly denies the evidence for the holocaust happening, they get into legal trouble. Denying evolution, deaths under communist China, gravity, etc are not. Infringement of freedom of speech and special pleading? yes.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Intercourseman72"
Quote from: "PoopShoot">Implying the holocaust actually happened.

Yes, along with the Armenian genocide, the Japanese atrocities against the Chinese, the Stalinist purges throughout the Soviet Union, etc. There are no laws denying those other things, however. It's just that when someone publicly denies the evidence for the holocaust happening, they get into legal trouble. Denying evolution, deaths under communist China, gravity, etc are not. Infringement of freedom of speech and special pleading? yes.
Nothing like some honest denying the holocaust in the morning though when you are just itching to break the law just a little... My country tends not to prosecute or even investigate such cases unless they are massively public and are recorded by at least four different media.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.