News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Hiya! Another newbie....

Started by nomadicmom, April 19, 2010, 06:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nomadicmom

Hello! My name is Emily. I am a recent atheist, was agnostic for a few years, before going all the way! I just recently outed myself to a few people, including my fundie husband. We are currently working through our differences and figuring out where to go from here. We also have 2 children. I am glad to find a parenting section on an atheist forum!!

I doubted my faith for a looong time,  but just figured I was being tested. I was a youth pastor in Alabama at a very evangelical type church and that's when I realized I was not a christian. The teens would ask me questions I could not answer. The answers I found, were a joke. It was then I stepped down and started unraveling the truth. A few years later I began to be honest with myself and am working on honesty to those around me who have known me as a christian for many many years.

Look forward to posting more and getting known on the forum!
Emily

All flavor.... no bite.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

joeactor

Nice to meet you, Emily.  Welcome.

Keep those lines of communication with your husband going.
It is possible to "agree to disagree", and who knows... maybe he'll meet you half-way.

Enjoy,
JoeActor

elliebean

Hello and welcome, Emily!

Nice to meet yet another fellow former fundie!  :D
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

SSY

Welcome, it must be a difficult situation you find yourself in, but take heart, I know a few couples who have wildly differing religions and it works for them.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

pinkocommie

Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

McQ

Welcome, Emily. Similar backgrounds in that we were both former youth pastors married to religious spouses. I was raised in the catholic church, but did lots of bouncing around in baptist and fundie-type churches in 'Bama, Georgia, Oklahoma and Ohio before coming to my senses.

Glad to have you here!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

nomadicmom

Quote from: "McQ"Welcome, Emily. Similar backgrounds in that we were both former youth pastors married to religious spouses. I was raised in the catholic church, but did lots of bouncing around in baptist and fundie-type churches in 'Bama, Georgia, Oklahoma and Ohio before coming to my senses.

Glad to have you here!

Oh wow!  Good to see some others I can relate to!

I was in a Southern baptist "cowboy church". It was a trip. Learned ALOT in that time frame!!! When I started questioning what was being taught and believed, I was dropped like a ton of bricks. My husband stayed active with the youth. The pastor ended up moving the church out of state and the group disbanded and went there seperate ways.
Emily

All flavor.... no bite.

karadan

QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Ellainix

Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

Evolved

Welcome, Emily!  If nothing else, have fun!  
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
Chapman Cohen

skwurll

Welcome, I'm sure you'll love it here.

Killa_Kron

I am so young! *squeal* No but seriously, welcome to our chanting circle, where we tell scary stories. Wait no, that's my imagination. Sorry
"WOOOO! FREEBIRD!" -Millions of Metalheads