News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Survey: 72% of Millennials 'more spiritual than religious'

Started by joeactor, April 27, 2010, 08:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

pinkocommie

That makes sense.  My mom was agnostic and though she was very doubtful of there being a god, she always said that if god was real, logically all it would care about is that you were a good person and you tried your best.  "Be a good person and you'll be fine" seems like an entirely appropriate position, regardless of anyone's personal opinions regarding god.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

elliebean

Quote from: "USA Today"Collin Hansen, 29, author of Young, Restless, Reformed, about a thriving minority of traditionalist Christians, agrees. "I'm not going to say these numbers aren't true and aren't grim, but they also drive people like me to build new, passionately Christian dynamic churches," says Hansen, who is studying for the ministry. He sees many in his generation veering to "moralistic therapeutic deism â€" 'God wants you to be happy and do good things.' ... I would not call that Christianity, however."
Nor would I.

What strikes me about this statement is the interpretaion of the data to mean they need to try harder to get more young people suckered in, instead of looking at themselves and asking why people are starting to turn away and what changes they can make to improve.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Tanker

Quote from: "elliebean"
Quote from: "USA Today"Collin Hansen, 29, author of Young, Restless, Reformed, about a thriving minority of traditionalist Christians, agrees. "I'm not going to say these numbers aren't true and aren't grim, but they also drive people like me to build new, passionately Christian dynamic churches," says Hansen, who is studying for the ministry. He sees many in his generation veering to "moralistic therapeutic deism â€" 'God wants you to be happy and do good things.' ... I would not call that Christianity, however."
Nor would I.

What strikes me about this statement is the interpretaion of the data to mean they need to try harder to get more young people suckered in, instead of looking at themselves and asking why people are starting to turn away and what changes they can make to improve.

Well when your paticular church, in your paticular sect, in your paticular branch, of your paticular religion are the only people in the entire world that have "god's word" exactly right you can never be wrong. It must be the other 99.99% of the population that are wrong.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Chewbie Chan

I read "really more spiritual than religious" as "really more self-possessed than indoctrinated". Awesome!

elliebean

[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais