News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

A philosophical idea that changed your life

Started by Chewbie Chan, April 17, 2010, 07:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Sophus"
QuoteConfessions of Augustine
Ewww, Augustine.  :puke:  Sorry, but he's one of my least favorite "thinkers" of all time.

Oh, what's not to like about a guy who prays "Lord, keep me from temptation -- just not yet"?
Illegitimi non carborundum.

coltcat

Quote from: "Tom62"Murphy's Law
aw yeah , I was gonna said that. XD

and 3 SF movie that totally blow my mind alway when I was under 20. (not exactly hilosophical,but ideas)
Contact,2001 space odyssey and the matrix.
Off course there is a god , Who else do you thinks brought us pastas?

The Magic Pudding

Treat others as you would have them treat you.
I don't know when I first heard it.
I don't know who to attribute it to.
It's as simple as 1 + 1
If the world is going to work it is the bedrock.

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"Treat others as you would have them treat you.

I prefer, Do not treat others as you would not have them treat you.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Tank

Quote from: "Ihateyoumike"
Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"Treat others as you would have them treat you.

I prefer, Do not treat others as you would not have them treat you.
Glass half full or glass half empty  :hmm:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Kylyssa

Love.

It started with my mother and it is an ongoing process.  Learning to love and be loved has been (and continues to be) the most important endeavor of my life.

Miss Anthrope

How big is the smallest fish in the pond? You catch one hundred fishes, all
of which are greater than six inches. Does this evidence support the hypothesis
that no fish in the pond is much less than six inches long? Not if your
net can’t catch smaller fish. -Nick Bostrom

wildfire_emissary

The political philosophy of Machiavelli and Talleyrand.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

deekayfry

Plato's Idealism.  I love how it makes a mockery of a concept that is impossible to achieve.

First, it says that everything is a less perfect than the most perfect version of itself.  As such, that version exists just beyond our reach.

and, just as important,

It is pointless to try obtain that perfection
I told the people of my district that I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but if not ... you may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.-  Davey Crockett, 1834

Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.- Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Sophus

Quote from: "deekayfry"Plato's Idealism.  I love how it makes a mockery of a concept that is impossible to achieve.

First, it says that everything is a less perfect than the most perfect version of itself.  As such, that version exists just beyond our reach.

and, just as important,

I've always thought this concept was only useful in Geometry. In every other aspect of philosophy "perfection" seems too abstract to start with. I see your point though. We can always dream up something better.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Thumpalumpacus

Two things --

First, a line from Dune, by Frank Herbert:  "Those who see only what they wish are doomed to rot in the stink of their own perceptions."

Second, Socrates's old saw about the unexamined life being unworthy of living.

And if you think about it, they're both really saying the same thing.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

deekayfry

Quote from: "Sophus"
Quote from: "deekayfry"Plato's Idealism.  I love how it makes a mockery of a concept that is impossible to achieve.

and, just as important,

I've always thought this concept was only useful in Geometry. In every other aspect of philosophy "perfection" seems too abstract to start with. I see your point though. We can always dream up something better.

I saw it just a little bit differently :)

To me it seemed like Plato, or whoever came up with this thinking, was being sarcastic.  It was like, "Sure go ahead and think there is something more perfect, but if you want to try good luck getting to it!"

Having said all thought, I have not delved into this school of thought, but from my limited understanding Plato was never serious about the "perfection" part of it.
I told the people of my district that I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but if not ... you may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.-  Davey Crockett, 1834

Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.- Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"