News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

How science became cool.

Started by karadan, April 13, 2010, 11:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSY

Dretlin; Adam Hart Davis is enthusiastic if not terribly erudite, Sir Patrick Moore is a huge figure in astronomy, if not terribly dynamic. Allan Chapman is both very learned and very interesting, but unfortunatley, people in charge would rather fill the schedule with reality crap and moronic phone ins than fulfill their mandate to "Entertain and Educate", but hey, who needs to chart the development and discoveries in science that gave birth to the modern world, when  you can watch a load of Z list celebrities dance about and then spend a pound a call to vote for your favourite? No one, according to all terrestrial television channels.

Allan Chapman, for reference.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

karadan

Quote from: "Dretlin"
Quote from: "joeactor"
Quote from: "Dretlin"That is the first time I have ever seen, or heard, of Julius Sumner Miller - and I enjoyed every second.

Yeah, his show "Why Is It So?" is amazing... his excitement for science and teaching is just so evident.
Would have been great to have him as a teacher, no?

I am trying to think of anyone from UK TV, in the past, that was similar.  :hmm:  

Anyone from the UK remember anything at all? If not then we have missed out!

I'm having difficulty coming up with anything. There was chocablock but that wasn't really science and was aimed at really young kids.

Fred Harris was an educational stalwart for me when i was at junior school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-nE0kpk0Lg&NR=1

Soz, link wouldn't embed.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Dretlin

Quote from: "SSY"Dretlin; Adam Hart Davis is enthusiastic if not terribly erudite, Sir Patrick Moore is a huge figure in astronomy, if not terribly dynamic. Allan Chapman is both very learned and very interesting, but unfortunatley, people in charge would rather fill the schedule with reality crap and moronic phone ins than fulfill their mandate to "Entertain and Educate", but hey, who needs to chart the development and discoveries in science that gave birth to the modern world, when  you can watch a load of Z list celebrities dance about and then spend a pound a call to vote for your favourite? No one, according to all terrestrial television channels.

Allan Chapman, for reference.

Ah yes! Sir Patrick Moore! How could that great man have slipped my mind! I also recall Adam Hart Davis. Thank you for reminding me the UK does have such eccentric people in science!

Quote from: "karadan"I'm having difficulty coming up with anything. There was chocablock but that wasn't really science and was aimed at really young kids.

Fred Harris was an educational stalwart for me when i was at junior school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-nE0kpk0Lg&NR=1

Soz, link wouldn't embed.

Keeping on Sir Patrick - do you recall a very old TV show known as Gamesmaster?

I can barely remember Gamesmaster, so Mr Fred Harris could perhaps be just before my time.

Chewbie Chan

I remember Games Master - had Sir Moore dishing out the verdict on gamer's performances.   :D

karadan

Quote from: "Chewbie Chan"I remember Games Master - had Sir Moore dishing out the verdict on gamer's performances.   :D

Of course! Johnny Ball! I'd completely forgotten about him. :)

Dretlin - yeah, i used to watch gamesmaster all the time. Must be very cheesy if watched now.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

kelltrill

Bill Nye the Science Guy made me love science as a kid. That and The Magic Schoolbus. I think the fact that both had interactive computer games to go with the tv shows definitely helped.
Whenever I get jaded with science I always seem to stumble upon things like this:
Immortal jellyfish.
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

SSY

I always felt so sorry for Arnold, the poor guy just wanted to learn, not be shrunk down and have to explore his classmates kidneys. Back in my day, I just had to books, the few episodes I caught on the TV did not live up to my memories of the books.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: "kelltrill"Bill Nye the Science Guy made me love science as a kid. That and The Magic Schoolbus. I think the fact that both had interactive computer games to go with the tv shows definitely helped.
Whenever I get jaded with science I always seem to stumble upon things like this:
Immortal jellyfish.

OMG I loved the Magic Schoolbus when I was a kid! Many happy hours reading those books! :D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey