News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Religion vs Homosexuality

Started by LoneMateria, March 04, 2010, 09:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkocommie

Quote from: "LoneMateria"http://www.examiner.com/x-8928-Philadelphia-Atheism-Examiner~y2010m3d12-Atheist-group-offers-to-hold-gay-friendly-prom

This one has been popular for a while I don't know why I haven't posted about it.  Basically the Itawamba County Agricultural High School in Mississippi (which as far as I can tell is a public school) was going to hold prom until they found out that one girl was going to wear a tux and take her girlfriend.  When the school found out about it they threatened to eject her if she does it.  To which she contacted the ACLU and threatened the school with a massive lawsuit if they attempted it.  Instead of just letting her take her girlfriend to the dance the school decided to cancel it.  Not only would they try to rob the seniors of their prom and pocket the cash, they made it perfectly clear that they hoped for some private organization or persons to provide a private prom that way they can discriminate if they want.  Unfortunately for them the group that answered was the AHA an atheist group that received a $20,000 donation and will host it and allow everyone to attend.

What no one in the article seems to ask is what the school will do with that pocketed money.  Nor do they get the school board's reaction to these events.  I still think a suit should be filed against the school because their bigotry towards homosexuals is the clear cause of this.  In order to act like they are not discriminating they punish an entire school due to their own shortsightedness and stupidity.  Though this issue isn't resolved, intuition tells me the battle has only been delayed :-/

I hadn't heard about the atheist group who volunteered to finance the prom, that's awesome!  I bet that really grinds the school's gears.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

LoneMateria

It definitely will.  This is good PR for atheists.  It still irks me though that the school would deprive their school (and senior class) of their prom just because they can't handle two women going together.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

LoneMateria

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/mar/17/catholic-adoption-gay-parents

Well in London the Catholic Adoption Society has been exempt from the Sexual Orientation Regulations.  The Catholic Adoption Society somehow found around 100,000 pounds (I don't know how to make the pounds symbol) to fight to be able to discriminate against gay couples looking to adopt children ... and they won.  They are now allowed to discriminate on "religious" grounds.  Not only is that part of the article bad as it is, near the bottom it tells of other catholic adoption organizations that closed down instead of offering equal consideration to gay couples looking to adopt.  

:shake:  The irony in this with all the pedophile stories circulating is astounding.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.

LoneMateria

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/03/24/world/AP-AS-Indonesia-Gay-Conference.html?_r=4&ref=newsThe

Basically the ILGA (an international LGBT group) was going to host a 3 day conference in Indonesia to talk about Asian Gay activists.  This event was to take place this weekend.  This was supposed to be some big event.  Today the Indonesian police told them they can't have it  because they are afraid the muslims might riot (which is the politically correct term for blowing shit up).

This one isn't as much about gay rights as about religious terrorism.  I agree with the creators of South Park on this issue that when a government or people stop doing what they are doing because they are afraid what terrorists MIGHT do, that they are letting these terrorists win.  They aren't standing up for their freedoms they are letting organizations that rely on their fear dictate their lives.  They might as well be saying, "Terrorists we are afraid of you so we will submit to your will."  Which is the cowards way.