News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

How far do you go with Xmas?

Started by keepitlow, November 23, 2009, 06:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClicheGuevara

Like many here, I use it as a reason to get together with the family and exchange some gifts. No religious connotations for us, no one in my family is really that religious.

skwurll

Well, I live in a very religious home. My parents are Wesleyan Christians and harp on the inclusion of jesus in christmas. Really, I'd prefer to think of it as time to spend with family, even if they are extremely annoying with their preaching. For Christmas my family exchanges gifts, cards, and loving sentiments.

fairylewis

The festival of Christmas celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ and conveys his message of love, tolerance and brotherhood we celebrate this festival very well and enjoy a lot decorate a Christmas tree at our house with lots of gifts,lights.bells,etc..Holiday food is cooked with great passion, and families relish the delectable meals together during the holidays.

Albino_Raptor

I love christmas. Hell, I love winter in general. Nothing beats looking out of my living room window and seeing: [attachment=0:gmziftgw]Winter2.jpg[/attachment:gmziftgw]
Add a few lanterns to it with candle light in the garden, how could anyone deny the beauty of that picture of nature!?

Add to that the festivities of Xmas. For me, it is about seeing my dear friends and the parts of my family that I give a damn about. The company. The food. The pretty, shiny lights. I absolutely love to give eccentric, sometimes bizarre gifts - that always have a useful purpose though. I am a huge fan of finding a cool present and seeing people first confused about it, then being explained it, then thrilled.

The religious concept I don't care about at all. If someone tells me atheists have no reason to celebrate christmas - which HAS happened - I tell them I am not celebrating christmas, I am celebrating "treevopolis" - an atheistic holiday in which all nonbelievers erect a green tree in the house, because trees are awesome and bring joy to the eye of the wanderer as well as tasty cherries to their mouths. So on treevopolis, atheists come together to share their joy of trees with the people they love (because no tree can form a forest of its own) and give gifts to one another (just like trees present animals with fruit to have a cool relationship). Oh, it just so happens by strange coincidence that christmas and treevopolis take place at the same day. When I am told that I am full of shit - which HAS happened - I just tell the offender that it is not cool to mock another man's religion.  :headbang:
And GOD created the earth, covered with water by 70%, for man, who has no gills.

Whitney

Quote from: "fairylewis"The festival of Christmas celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ and conveys his message of love, tolerance and brotherhood we celebrate this festival very well and enjoy a lot decorate a Christmas tree at our house with lots of gifts,lights.bells,etc..Holiday food is cooked with great passion, and families relish the delectable meals together during the holidays.

^spammer?

elliebean

Quote from: "fairylewis"The festival of Christmas celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ and conveys his message of love, tolerance and brotherhood we celebrate this festival very well and enjoy a lot decorate a Christmas tree at our house with lots of gifts,lights.bells,etc..Holiday food is cooked with great passion, and families relish the delectable meals together during the holidays.

He loves christmas so much, he's still celebrating in April.  lol
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Cecilie

I celebrate christmas much like any christians do, exept I don't go to church. Decorating, being with family, eat and exchange gifts is what christmas is to me. I also celebrate easter which is all about candy, reading crime novels and soving quizzes (yeah, we do that in Norway). There's really not enough non-religious holidays (at least not here) seeing as we don't celebrate Halloween or Thanksgiving.
The world's what you create.