News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

vid: Atheists of Florida blast city commission prayer ritual

Started by VietnamVet-BRIGHT, March 16, 2010, 04:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VietnamVet-BRIGHT

Atheists of Florida in action:
March 15,2010, Lakeland (Florida) City Commission meeting protesting government sponsored prayer (invocation)

Tampa Bay CBS affiliate Ch. 10 ...

http://www.wtsp.com/video/default.aspx? ... 2171834001

Atheists of Florida website ...
http://atheistsofflorida.org/

Tanker

I wish you luck in your quest. I would like to say I was surprised by the news reporting it neutraly and I shouldn't be. I guess I've gotten so used to Fox New's brand of "impartiality" that I'd forgotten some news stations still have ethics.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

VietnamVet-BRIGHT

Quote from: "Tanker"I wish you luck in your quest. I would like to say I was surprised by the news reporting it neutraly and I shouldn't be. I guess I've gotten so used to Fox New's brand of "impartiality" that I'd forgotten some news stations still have ethics.

We just started in with Lakeland, FL; 2nd visit.  However, we've been doing the same thing with the Tampa City Council for about two months (4 protest visits).

All the news reports on these events have been surprisingly positive.  

The key point that I have been making is that when these councils/commissions hold public meetings with the prayer, they give atheists like myself only two sorry options:  1) stand up with everyone else and PRETEND to pray (so that I blend in and am not noticed); or 2) stay true to my worldview and remain seated thus identifying myself to everyone else who is standing (including government officials) that I'm a religious outsider.  

Tanker

I've always been a pretty unrepentant atheist. Without the law being changed I would probably just sit there and if they take issue wth it thats there problem. As I'm sure you remember, in the army, prayers and memorials are pretty common (especialy in time of war). I always kept my head up and I could usually find a few others in formation (especialy Batalion/Brigade foramations) who did the same.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Sophus

Oh man, I saw one of the guy's from Atheists of Florida on Fox 13 Tampa Bay tonight. What an ignoramus that news anchor was. Didn't know what was in the First Amendment, and they portrayed the "Good without God" billboard as if it was attacking religion. Then they attacked the atheist representing AOF. Jesus Christ! Atheists of Florida is just trying to form a community and break stereotypes.

I had no idea the local FOX News station was as bad as the national one. :shake:
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver