Re: 16 percent of biology teachers believe God created humans.

Started by Kidnapkid, March 12, 2010, 02:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cecilie

Quote from: "Kidnapkid"We didn't have evolution or creationism in my high school. It was just left out completely.
The same thing in my school. Which is weird considering where I live...  :hmm:
The world's what you create.

Tank

Quote from: "Cecilie"
Quote from: "Kidnapkid"We didn't have evolution or creationism in my high school. It was just left out completely.
Yes it is. How old are you?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ultima22689

Incredibly enough, my high school, a private catholic school mentioned evolution  as real, we didn't cover it much but they still acknowledged it. Look up Hales Franciscan, if I ever have kids I would send them there.

Cecilie

Quote from: "Tank"
I turn 17 this summer.

Tank

Quote from: "Cecilie"I turn 17 this summer.
That is interesting. I had assumed that you were older and that you were not taught about evolution because you were in education a while ago. There really is no excuse for leaving such a significant idea as evolution out of the education process. I though Norway was also mostly theist free so I'm even more surprised that it was not on your curriculum.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sophus

That is interesting. I had assumed that you were older and that you were not taught about evolution because you were in education a while ago. There really is no excuse for leaving such a significant idea as evolution out of the education process. I though Norway was also mostly theist free so I'm even more surprised that it was not on your curriculum.
I dunno about that, but I knew a girl from Norway who seriously believed in trolls. :eek:
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Cecilie

Quote from: "Sophus"I dunno about that, but I knew a girl from Norway who seriously believed in trolls. :eek:
Wtf?

Sophus

Quote from: "Sophus"I dunno about that, but I knew a girl from Norway who seriously believed in trolls. :eek:
Wtf?
That's what I thought. She said whenever something in the house is moved or you can't find your sock... a troll did it. And THEN that same argument came up in the "How to Train Your Dragon" movie. Is this a common myth in Norway?
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Cecilie

Quote from: "Sophus"
Wtf?
That's what I thought. She said whenever something in the house is moved or you can't find your sock... a troll did it. And THEN that same argument came up in the "How to Train Your Dragon" movie. Is this a common myth in Norway?
It used to be. But not any more...

MehGuy

Eh my teacher just had like a long speech about how you can still believe in God and evolution. At least maybe it would send a message to some of the fundamentalist students to open up a little more. But eh I doubt it really did anything.

karadan

Quote from: "Sophus"
I dunno about that, but I knew a girl from Norway who seriously believed in trolls. :D
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Cecilie

karadan

Nope. It was just fairies. There were a few white witches as well, although i'm not entirely sure what that entails. They were perfectly lovely people though. If someone wants to sleep in a coffin, that's entirely their prerogative.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Cecilie

Quote from: "karadan"Nope. It was just fairies. There were a few white witches as well, although i'm not entirely sure what that entails. They were perfectly lovely people though. If someone wants to sleep in a coffin, that's entirely their prerogative.
I'm sure they were. At least they don't push their beliefs on other people...

Newtonyd

I can't help but wonder what the percentages are for other subjects. It really disappointed me to find out that my creative writing teacher was such a vehement b*tch. On my final project in the 8th grade I had a silly picture of Jesus holding Mentos, and she flipped the biscuit over it. She gave me an F on my project, and an F on the class. Later she told my parents about how I was the worst, most offensive student she'd ever had, all because of one picture.

If a 'creative' writing teacher can't handle something like that, she shouldn't be in the job. She shouldn't be in any job, least of all those which involve children, but that's just my opinion.