News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

A time when the pledge didn't include "under God"

Started by Whitney, January 28, 2010, 11:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

kenh

I remember the pledge (just barely) without "Under god", in the first and second grade.  We moved to Florida in 1952 and I noticed that it then had under god added.  I thought it was a Florida thing, but it was added during the Eisenhower administration.

Nahuel

Here we have to swear loyalty to the flag in the 4th grade. They mention God somewhere, can't remember.
In Manuel Belgrano[li]'s proclaim, he says:
QuoteEa, pues, soldados de la patria: no olvidéis jamás que nuestra obra es de Dios; que El nos ha concedido esta Bandera, que nos manda la sostengamos.
Roughly translated:
Hear me, soldiers of the homeland: Do not ever forget that our work [the flag] is God's work; He gives us this flag and commands us to sustain it
He mentions God a few more times, but that one speaks of how God actually created the flag and how it was commanded to us to sustain it.

[li]Creator of the flag.
No soy un hombre de plegarias, pero si estás en el cielo sálvame por favor Superman!

Prometheus

Yeah I heard they slipped that one in during the "Red Scare". Funny how religion thrives when people are frightened.
"There's a new, secret hazing process where each new member must track down and eliminate an old member before being granted full forum privileges.  10 posts is just a front.  Don't get too comfy, your day will come..."-PC

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Prometheus"Yeah I heard they slipped that one in during the "Red Scare". Funny how religion thrives when people are frightened.
Funny's one word for it.  :shake:
-Curio

SSY

Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

theTwiz

My family has a currency collection that has some old $1 silver certificates that lack the "In God We Trust" insignia found today.  IIRC they were issued in 1934 or 1935.  I'm also currently trying to track down the Washington dollar coins that were struck without the phrase on accident back in 2006 or 2007.  They're well-known  among coin collectors though so I'm not holding my breath.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

PeytonFarquhar

The original Pledge of Allegiance salute:

Gotta love those fascist symbols.  The next time someone tries to tell you that the Pledge of Allegiance is patriotic, direct them to the early salute that was "required" for all "patriotic" citizens.

McQ

Quote from: "kenh"I remember the pledge (just barely) without "Under god", in the first and second grade.  We moved to Florida in 1952 and I noticed that it then had under god added.  I thought it was a Florida thing, but it was added during the Eisenhower administration.

Just now catching this thread, and all I gotta say is I'm so happy someone here is an older fogey than me! Thanks, Ken!
 :D
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

pinkocommie

Wow, those pictures are both amazing and frightening.  I had no idea about that original salute.  Heil America, indeed.  :/
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

theTwiz

Quote from: "pinkocommie"Wow, those pictures are both amazing and frightening.  I had no idea about that original salute.  Heil America, indeed.  :/

You have to keep in mind that back when these pictures were taken, that salute carried a different meaning than it does today.  For that reason, I don't necessarily find them frightening, but you won't find me using that salute either.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

pinkocommie

Quote from: "theTwiz"
Quote from: "pinkocommie"Wow, those pictures are both amazing and frightening.  I had no idea about that original salute.  Heil America, indeed.  :secret:
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/