News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Florida atheists "blast" Tampa city council prayer ritual

Started by VietnamVet-BRIGHT, January 22, 2010, 04:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VietnamVet-BRIGHT

Yesterday morning (1/21/10), members of Atheists of Florida, including me, John Kieffer, showed up at the Tampa City Council to request ending the council’s practice of prayer rituals (aka “invocation”), which are officially included a the start of their public business meetings.  Each of the seven of us spoke the allotted 3 minutes each (for a total of 21 minutes) about how stupid, intolerant, unfair and unconstitutional this government religious ritual is.  

The seven council members literally sat there speechless and did not muster any response whatsoever.  

The newsprint article of our city council visit appeared in the St Petersburg Times today as the headliner of the "Metro Report," ...  

You can read the online version at …
http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgover ... il/1067062

Tom62

I read the online version and was astonished by some of the super-silly, pathetic comments that some of the readers posted.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Prometheus

Awesome. I seriously doubt it will change anything but at least you called them out on the issue. I live in Tennessee and have to put up with crap all the time. They pray in school(Offically called a "moment of silence" now) at football and baseball games at townhall meetings and anywhere else people gather.
"There's a new, secret hazing process where each new member must track down and eliminate an old member before being granted full forum privileges.  10 posts is just a front.  Don't get too comfy, your day will come..."-PC

karadan

QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Jolly Sapper

You set quite the example to follow VietnamVet-BRIGHT.

:yay: