News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Anti-Abortion SuperBowl Ad

Started by Sophus, January 21, 2010, 05:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

http://www.towleroad.com/2010/01/tim-tebow-shoots-super-bowl-ad-for-antigay-focus-on-the-family.html

All that money could go to Haiti... but no. Opposing human rights is more important to Focus on the Family and Tim Tebow.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

AlP

It looks like an anti-abortion campaign. I agree of course. The money could have been better spent.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Whitney

Quote from: "AlP"It looks like an anti-abortion campaign.

Ya, it seems to be since that is what the sponsoring group is about.....but i'm sure they are all anti-gay, anti-bunnies, and anti-fun too.

QuoteI agree of course. The money could have been better spent.

Well, ya....but so could the money spent on all the other adds; this one just happens to have an obviously shitty message rather than "buy this item so you will kick ass at football and women will fall all over you"

Sophus

Oops! Misread. Good catch.  :blush: Whitney, if you could make some magic happen, that'd be cool.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Whitney

Quote from: "Sophus"Whitney, if you could make some magic happen, that'd be cool.

that kind? (see op title)

AlP

Quote from: "Whitney"Well, ya....but so could the money spent on all the other adds; this one just happens to have an obviously shitty message rather than "buy this item so you will kick ass at football and women will fall all over you"
And all the money we spend on things that do not benefit humanity in the most efficient way possible: cable subscriptions, cars, our children, etc. How much does one's own child cost compared to 66.58 years of life for a person living in the third world? A lot more! And yet we have the audacity to call ourselves humanists!

Joking of course. lol

churchgoingatheist

This article infuriates me.  I hated Tim Tebow and his evangelism before this, but the idea that 2.8 million dollars is going to this ad turns my stomach.  I hope Tim Tebow doesn't play football ever again, foisting his self-righteousness on everyone.  I don't wish injury on him, but if Tim Tebow found himself unable to play football ever again, I'd be happy. Maybe if he had macular degeneration, like my wife, wherein his eyes are fine but the retinas are so loosely attached that contact sports could potentially cause blindness and he's fine as long as he's not hit in the head, I'd be happy with that.  What a piece of work that guy is.  Focus on the family.  Those bastards destroy good families.  When I'm driving on long car trips, I'll put on their talk radio station just to listen for fun to get angry.  My favorite moment was when I heard a commercial.  it was a commercial for a taxidermy business. Their slogan was something like, "Such-and-Such Taxidermy, Preserving God's Creation Since 1983."  I laughed out loud and then felt sad.  For the deer.  And for America.

G-Roll

i cant open the article. but im curious now about this "focus on the family."
how far does freedom of speech go? could the kkk run an add during the super bowl? if not why not? why wont we allow racists bigots to drop millions of dollars if we allow homophobe bigots to do so?

i hate tebow as well. i cant wait till he gets his ass kicked in the pros. i dont wish any injuries upon him, but i hope he discovers that he enjoys penis and biceps a little too much. then climbs his way out of the closet to announce he is indeed gay. and likes to touch little boys.

i knew it all along...

Quotethis one just happens to have an obviously shitty message rather than "buy this item so you will kick ass at football and women will fall all over you"
Lol sounds like money well spent to me!!!
Quote from: "Moslem"
Allah (that mean God)

AlP

Quote from: "G-Roll"how far does freedom of speech go? could the kkk run an add during the super bowl?
It would depend on what their message was. If it could be argued to be defamatory, I think it might be possible to get around the First Amendment.
QuoteLibel may be a private wrong or a public wrong (or perhaps both), depending on the identity of the party bringing suit and the type of remedy sought. As a private wrong, it involves an individual or small group claiming to have been defamed and suing for civil libel â€" also known as the tort of libel â€" and possibly collecting monetary damages for harm suffered. As a public wrong, on the other hand, libel involves the state criminally prosecuting a person who it believes has defamed another (including another individual, a public official, a government entity, a large group, even a deceased person). If the government proves its case beyond a reasonable doubt, the individual may possibly be imprisoned, though fines are the more likely remedy.
Link

G-Roll

Thank you AlP. interesting info.

So I was curious about Focus on the Family and this is what I found on their website. I decided to post it incase anyone hasn’t had their dose of dogma yet.
God hates gays:
QuoteAnd the spark, the power of that union is meant to gloriously reveal the very image of God to angels and archangels and all the company of heaven and earth. That is why Satan fights tooth and nail to pervert and distort rightly ordered human sexuality, holy matrimony, the family, and fatherhood in particular.
In fact, the amount of time and effort that Satan expends to destroy the image of God reflected in marriage, fatherhood and human sexuality is a barometer of just how incredibly important it is to God's plan and the expression of His glory.
Beloved, there is a profound and awesome reason for the way God ordered the creation of manâ€"one that is commented on throughout Scripture, and one that we must observe if we are to find the fulfillment of our very being as humans. It is ordered as the union of a man and a woman in marriageâ€"heterosexual and monogamousâ€"an order that Jesus unambiguously reaffirmed in Matthew.
If you aint christian, you are dirty:
QuoteHow does a biblical worldview get diluted?
Here is the big problem. Nonbiblical worldview ideas don't just sit in a book somewhere waiting for people to examine them. They bombard us constantly from television, film, music, newspapers, magazines, books and academia.
Because we live in a selfish, fallen world, these ideas seductively appeal to the desires of our flesh, and we often end up incorporating them into our personal worldview. Sadly, we often do this without even knowing it.
For example, most Christians would agree with 1 Thessalonians 4:3 and other Scriptures that command us to avoid sexual immorality, but how often do Christians fall into lust or premarital and extramarital sexual sin? Is it simply because they are weak when tempted, or did it begin much earlier, with the seductive lies from our sexualized society?
Just to piss you off:
QuoteIf we don't really believe the truth of God and live it, then our witness will be confusing and misleading. Most of us go through life not recognizing that our personal worldviews have been deeply affected by the world. Through the media and other influences, the secularized American view of history, law, politics, science, God and man affects our thinking more than we realize. We then are taken "captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ" (Colossians 2:8).
However, by diligently learning, applying and trusting God’s truths in every area of our lives â€" whether it's watching a movie, communicating with our spouses, raising our children or working at the office â€" we can begin to develop a deep comprehensive faith that will stand against the unrelenting tide of our culture's nonbiblical ideas. If we capture and embrace more of God's worldview and trust it with unwavering faith, then we begin to make the right decisions and form the appropriate responses to questions on abortion, same- sex marriage, cloning, stem-cell research and even media choices. Because, in the end, it is our decisions and actions that reveal what we really believe.
"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind" (Romans 12:2).
The war on pro choice?:
QuoteIMPACTING HIGH-ABORTION COMMUNITIES
Focus on the Family has strategically focused its eff orts to impact
high-abortion communities through pregnancy medical resource
centers as well as other impact partners and organizations. _ is will
increase life decisions within the most abortion-prone areas, such
as minority communities (e.g., Hispanic and African-American),
university and college women, and churches (43 percent of women
obtaining abortions identify themselves as Protestant, 27 percent
as Catholic).2
BEAVOICE.NET WEB SITE
We are expanding communication
and mobilization strategies to
include not only PMCs across
the country but other pro-life
organizations and individuals as
well. We believe this Web site
will help
mobilize and motivate local communities,
giving them easy access to resources that will
equip individuals to make personal, life-affi rming
and ethical decisions that uphold the sanctity of life.
The projected FY09 budget for all Sanctity of Human
Life programs is $4.3 million.
FOCUS ON THE FAMILY’S
THE TRUTH PROJECT®
Focus on the Family’s _ e Truth Project is an outreach that
addresses the core make-up of a person’s worldview and explores a
Christian approach to a number of pertinent topics, including:
Absolute Truth Science Philosophy
Theology Arts and Media Politics

Well if anyone was wondering or didn’t know what this cult is about, there you have it.

p.s. Fuck tim tebow.
Quote from: "Moslem"
Allah (that mean God)

churchgoingatheist

Those are enlightening excerpts.  The way that FOTF couches hatred and ignorance and bigotry in the cloak of righteous do-goodedness sickens me.  That radio network and the huge power they have to influence people does massive harm to America.  And the fact that they couch it in pro-America terms makes it even worse.

Prometheus

Quotethose are enlightening excerpts. The way that FOTF couches hatred and ignorance and bigotry in the cloak of righteous do-goodedness sickens me. That radio network and the huge power they have to influence people does massive harm to America. And the fact that they couch it in pro-America terms makes it even worse.

Well said. Yet another way christian values are shoved further down our throats.
"There's a new, secret hazing process where each new member must track down and eliminate an old member before being granted full forum privileges.  10 posts is just a front.  Don't get too comfy, your day will come..."-PC