News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

The life of an apostate...

Started by Phil McCrackin, January 14, 2010, 03:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil McCrackin

So, I'm not 100% sure where to put this thread so i'll put it here and the mods can direct it in the proper place if I erred in judgment. Ok, so I wrote a little about my background in the introduction forum but to recap I used to be incredibly religious to the point where I was planning on doing full time ministry. Then half way through college after grappling with my doubts and opening my mind to more types of thought I turned my back on my Christian upbringing. Ok, so in that time I amassed many Christian friends and since my de-conversion the fallout over my apostasy has been great.

Just the other day I posted on my facebook that I wish people would keep their religions to themselves and a picture of the flying spaghetti monster because that shit is still funny to me lol. In response I receive this from an old christian associate of mine (who i havent spoken with in years)...

"if i was seein' your posts from a lifetime atheist, i wouldn't have much reason to post responses b/c i'd look like the overzealous idiot (but the difference is that i know you DO have Christ in your life).

if such kind of posts are from an apostate christian who has received christ, but has decided to walk away from Christ and scamper about trying to justify his reasons intellectually, all the while trying to take down as many people as he can with him, then yeah that's pretty upsetting to me.

i don't know what you picked in life that trumped your walk with God, but i've seen this many times. It wasn't anything intellectual that disproved God to you, but yet you've went the intellectual route to try to justify your decision to walk away from God, in an effort to dampen the sound of His voice in your life.
I'd be willing to bet that your knowledge that gets onto Facebook about God has been from the biased effort of shutting out God in order to help you live with whatever you chose over Him a few years ago -- as opposed to an effort to seek Him out.

It sucks for you, b/c you're now trying to find fulfillment apart from Christ in things of this world that don't come through on their promises of fulfillment.
But what's really tragic is that you make efforts to prevent other people from receiving Christ and being made right with God -- the greatest possible news anyone could hear. Who knows how many people you're blinding from that decision.
Man, I hope you change your mind someday "

I have received multiple messages/calls/texts/conversations like this one and it gets old.  Anyone else have similar experiences??