News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Hello all. Finally Came out the closet about my atheism.

Started by Eclecticsaturn, March 15, 2007, 08:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticsaturn

Well everyone this is my first of many posts. My names Droo (pronoued Drew) and im out of pasadena california. Im married to full blown highly active christian woman and have a beautiful 5 month old boy that attends church, bible study, bible lunchins, and womans bible group with my wife. Hes my first and only child and before we had him i told my wife i had no problems with her teaching him the bible but when hes old enough to decide on his own and come to rational desicions about it then he no longer needs to go. She was fine with that and that was our compramise. Weve been married now for 4 years and together for going on 8 years. (since i was 18). Ok well that was just a lot of background on me. Fact of the matter is, my parents are very christian, my wifes 2 sets of parents (divorsed and remarried to other people. Ironic huh? Divorced christians, lol). Just some more background on her and how long little things like this happened, she tried to break up my wife and Is wedding because im and atheist and she christian. She made my wifes own dad not walk her down the isle during the wedding and almost didnt attend. anywho, im sick of being the "respectful" one and biting my tongue so i dont hurt anyones feeling but i want to be more educated so i may, from here on out, have logical discussions with them rather than let them preach to me and polute my sons mind. thanks for reading this if you did. youll be hearing more from me.

MrE2Me

Welcome!

Quote from: "Eclecticsaturn"a beautiful 5 month old boy that attends church, bible study, bible lunchins, and womans bible group with my wife. Hes my first and only child and before we had him i told my wife i had no problems with her teaching him the bible but when hes old enough to decide on his own and come to rational desicions about it then he no longer needs to go.
Shouldn't it be the other way around?  I mean, if you force the child to do these things until they're capable of making their own decisions, odds are they'll already be indoctrinated by then and it won't make a difference.  I've never understood this phenomenon.
[size=92]I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. - Stephen Roberts[/size]

Kestrel

Welcome, Eclecticsaturn.
Certainly a challenging situation.

Good to meet you.
The thing that I call living is just being satisfied, with knowing I've got no one left to blame. - Gordon Lightfoot

doubter5

Sorry to hear about your situation... It's becoming more and more common though, as people who are tired of Bush's ties to the Religious Right make their Atheism known.  And I'm one who believes that it is important that we do so.

I have put a series of 6,  5min. Vids on YouTube calmly explaining what Atheism is..  I call it Atheism 101.  You might get some "ammunition" for your logical discussions with your in-laws from them...

Just go to YouTube and do a search for "digitalfreethought".. Or check out the latest versions at my site: http://www.digitalfreethought.com.

Hang in there!

McQ

Welcome eclecticsaturn. Yes you are in a tough situation. You can definitely pick the brains of the members here for help. Except mine. It's already mush. ;-)

Really, feel free to post and share. You are not completely alone.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

doubter5

You might want to read about others who have gone through the same process of deconversion, and have stories to tell much like yours..

Check 'em out at:
http://www.positiveatheism.org/mail/eml8361.htm
and: http://www.abarnett.demon.co.uk/atheism/why_become.html

In Reason!
Doubter5

Eclecticsaturn

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I figured i made the right choice to join this forum. Im mean shoot its the title, Happy Atheist. To many other sites are so down right negative and disrespectful i was starting to understand why we get a bad rap in society. Thanks for turning that around.

Quote from: "MrE2Me"Welcome!

Quote from: "Eclecticsaturn"a beautiful 5 month old boy that attends church, bible study, bible lunchins, and womans bible group with my wife. Hes my first and only child and before we had him i told my wife i had no problems with her teaching him the bible but when hes old enough to decide on his own and come to rational desicions about it then he no longer needs to go.
Shouldn't it be the other way around?  I mean, if you force the child to do these things until they're capable of making their own decisions, odds are they'll already be indoctrinated by then and it won't make a difference.  I've never understood this phenomenon.

Yes it should be the other way around but years ago when we first started to talk about having a child certain questions arrised, with how he was to be raised was one of them. You see im not oppossed to the possitive teaching of the bible and as long as my son gets the messeges of being good to others, helping your fellow man, blah blah, i dont care were he gets it from. You see, in church they dont talk about when you want a wife find a prostitute, or its ok to have slaves, or slaughtering woman and children is ok, even though its in the bible. Its when you do the research you find these horrid things in the bible. They talk about the "good parts" and preach about those. and of course they also talk about were it says that you must tyth a certain percent of your money time your there, lol. If your married then you understand that to have a strong relationship you must comprimise. Her desicion was to have go to church for life. Mine was to have him have nothing to do with it untill or unless he choose to go, or learn about. Our comprimise was just what was above stated.  I have faith that my son will come around. WHich is more the reason i want to get educated so that i may be there for the questions that he will have about the bible and its teachings.

Squid

Welcome aboard.

Whitney

Welcome to the forum.  It sounds like you and your wife are doing a good job of handeling dealing with sharing opposite worldviews; a lot of people have problems with that.

SteveS

Hello Eclecticsaturn.  Wow on the family thing - keep on keepin' on.  

Quote from: "Eclectisaturn"WHich is more the reason i want to get educated so that i may be there for the questions that he will have about the bible and its teachings.
This sounds like a really good plan to me.  Consider what the church will tell him about non-believers, and how an educated rational response coming from you will contrast.  Best wishes!

Steve