News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Yes, my grandfather is a monkey!!!

Started by Brakefade, March 16, 2007, 12:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brakefade

Hey all. I just found this forum, and it looks like a nice place to hang out. Doesn't seem to be any religious people around.

Anyways, I've been a full atheist for about 5 years now. I'm 24 now. I used to be a christian, but can't say I had a choice. I, like many of you I'm sure, had scare tactics used on me since as far back as I can remember. Throughout my life as a christian, I always had doubts about god and blble. A lot of the stuff in there just seemed silly to me. Like Noah's arc, the incest, the animal sacrifices, etc.

One thing that I could not wrap my head around was this idea:

God is knows EVERYTHING. He knows everything that has happened in the past, and he knows everything that will happen in the future. So if he knows everything, he must know the fate of every human being. He must know if you are going to heaven or hell. So, even knowing that certain people were doomed to hell, he still created them, or injected a soul in them. If you ever seen Saw III, that reminds of the games that crazy bitch was playing. Her subjects were merely victims, with no chance to win the game. That does not seem like a LOVING god to me.

The thing that really got the ball rolling though, was the day I finally understood natural selection and genetics. After that it was only a matter of time. It's so simple. In a lot of ways it's a lot simpler that the bible's version.

Kestrel

Quote from: "Brakefade"Hey all. I just found this forum, and it looks like a nice place to hang out. Doesn't seem to be any religious people around.
Aye. Butcha never know when one'll pop up.

We'll keep a weather-eye out for 'em, you n' I. :pirate:

QuoteAnyways, I've been a full atheist for about 5 years now. I'm 24 now. I used to be a christian, but can't say I had a choice. I, like many of you I'm sure, had scare tactics used on me since as far back as I can remember. Throughout my life as a christian, I always had doubts about god and blble. A lot of the stuff in there just seemed silly to me. Like Noah's arc, the incest, the animal sacrifices, etc.

God is knows EVERYTHING. He knows everything that has happened in the past, and he knows everything that will happen in the future. So if he knows everything, he must know the fate of every human being. He must know if you are going to heaven or hell. So, even knowing that certain people were doomed to hell, he still created them, or injected a soul in them. If you ever seen Saw III, that reminds of the games that crazy bitch was playing. Her subjects were merely victims, with no chance to win the game. That does not seem like a LOVING god to me.

The thing that really got the ball rolling though, was the day I finally understood natural selection and genetics. After that it was only a matter of time. It's so simple. In a lot of ways it's a lot simpler that the bible's version.

Thanks for sharing that.
Welcome and enjoy your stay!
The thing that I call living is just being satisfied, with knowing I've got no one left to blame. - Gordon Lightfoot

Squid

Welcome aboard.

McQ

Quote from: "Kestrel"
Quote from: "Brakefade"Hey all. I just found this forum, and it looks like a nice place to hang out. Doesn't seem to be any religious people around.
Aye. Butcha never know when one'll pop up.

We'll keep a weather-eye out for 'em, you n' I. :pirate:

QuoteAnyways, I've been a full atheist for about 5 years now. I'm 24 now. I used to be a christian, but can't say I had a choice. I, like many of you I'm sure, had scare tactics used on me since as far back as I can remember. Throughout my life as a christian, I always had doubts about god and blble. A lot of the stuff in there just seemed silly to me. Like Noah's arc, the incest, the animal sacrifices, etc.

Thanks for sharing that.
Welcome and enjoy your stay!

You made me cough while I was drinking my Fresca, reading your reply, Kestrel! Stop it!  :lol:

Welcome to the forum, Brakefade. A good place to start catching up in the forum is the introductions thread. They take a while to read, but you get to know a little more about the denizens of HA Forum that way.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

Welcome to the forum, Brakefade.

Quote from: "Brakefade"If you ever seen Saw III, that reminds of the games that crazy bitch was playing. Her subjects were merely victims, with no chance to win the game. That does not seem like a LOVING god to me.

Great analogy.  I may have to use it sometime when I'm trying to explain to a Christian why the idea of hell doesn't work with the idea of an eternal all knowing and all loving god.

SteveS

Hi Brakefade

Quote from: "Brakefade"... the incest, the animal sacrifices, etc.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of these either.