News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What do atheist think about rape?

Started by theradwun, December 31, 2009, 06:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theradwun

AlP

Well I've been raped and I'll say that it's really not much fun at all. This question is somewhat vague I think. Is there anything more specific that you would like to know about rape?
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

SSY

Well, since I know 100% that GOD does not exist, I face no consequences for rape, as long as I kill the victim after, and burn the body. As you can see, there is nothing stopping me from commiting rape, I do it to fill the time between theft and drug taking.

Wait a minute, I think I see what you were trying to do there. . . . .
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

theradwun

Quote from: "SSY"Well, since I know 100% that GOD does not exist, I face no consequences for rape, as long as I kill the victim after, and burn the body. As you can see, there is nothing stopping me from commiting rape, I do it to fill the time between theft and drug taking.

Wait a minute, I think I see what you were trying to do there. . . . .

First of all, I think you must be grossly arrogant for believing you've discovered the non-existence of God after billions/trillions of people for the past who-knows-how-many thousands of years have been contemplating this question with no definite answers in either direction.

Secondly, I wasn't trying to say that atheists are bad people as you are obviously implying that I'm implying. My point is to point out that it seems strange that we as humans have this idea that rape is "immoral" if it seems be beneficial to our naturalistic purpose.

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: "theradwun"First of all, I think you must be grossly arrogant for believing you've discovered the non-existence of God after billions/trillions of people for the past who-knows-how-many thousands of years have been contemplating this question with no definite answers in either direction.

What??

Quote from: "theradwun"Secondly, I wasn't trying to say that atheists are bad people as you are obviously implying that I'm implying. My point is to point out that it seems strange that we as humans have this idea that rape is "immoral" if it seems be beneficial to our naturalistic purpose.

Wait... What?!??
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

theradwun

Quote from: "Ihateyoumike"
Quote from: "theradwun"First of all, I think you must be grossly arrogant for believing you've discovered the non-existence of God after billions/trillions of people for the past who-knows-how-many thousands of years have been contemplating this question with no definite answers in either direction.

What??

Quote from: "theradwun"Secondly, I wasn't trying to say that atheists are bad people as you are obviously implying that I'm implying. My point is to point out that it seems strange that we as humans have this idea that rape is "immoral" if it seems be beneficial to our naturalistic purpose.

Wait... What?!??

Ok I don't care about the first one.  What's confusing about the second one because I seriously am interested in discussing it?

I'll try to clarify.  It seems that if we are a product of evolution/nature, then the main goal of humanity is to survive and continue surviving... if I'm wrong correct me.  If I rape a girl, she gets pregnant, another human is made.  What is wrong with this? (this is a serious question, if you want to be pissy about thinking i'm a covert christian trying to prove atheists are scumbags don't waste your time, i'm tired of christian/atheist whining.)

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: "theradwun"I'll try to clarify.  It seems that if we are a product of evolution/nature, then the main goal of humanity is to survive and continue surviving...

Sounds good so far.

Quote from: "theradwun"If I rape a girl, she gets pregnant, another human is made.  What is wrong with this? (this is a serious question, if you want to be pissy about thinking i'm a covert christian trying to prove atheists are scumbags don't waste your time, i'm tired of christian/atheist whining.)

I'm truly stumped. How many times can the same questions be asked of us atheists as if we were a religion that dictated how all of us should think.

As an atheist, I don't believe in a creator/deity/higher power/supernatural entity. Anything beyond that is simply a matter of my own opinion.

What do I, as a human being, think of rape? It's wrong. Why? Because. That should be a more than sufficient answer for you.
Unless, of course, there was an ulterior motive in posing the question specifically to atheists...

Also... Rape a girl... she becomes pregnant... it's beneficial?? Where did you come up with this gem? Are you really suggesting that it is common for a rapist to gently rape a girl so as to not cause harm, and that a child is produced from every rape? Really? I mean... Really?!? I'm sorry, but this is just asinine.  :upset:
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

AlP

Secondly, I wasn't trying to say that atheists are bad people as you are obviously implying that I'm implying. My point is to point out that it seems strange that we as humans have this idea that rape is "immoral" if it seems be beneficial to our naturalistic purpose.
Sensitively put. I do not find it strange that some humans, such as myself, find rape immoral. It really is progress. Now lets change the societies where rape is not immoral. Then we can start talk about being anything other than animals.

Sorry, this is a soft spot or me. Usually I go ballistic. Got it under control :)

Will

Sex requires knowing consent. Pedophilia, necrophilia, bestiality, and rape are all lacking knowing consent, therefore are all violations of what I consider to be moral or ethical behavior.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

leonswan2000

Animals sometimes force sex [rape] in nature. This is rare and usualy means a gender is in short supply. {yes its always the female.] I dont rape because I'm not into traumatizing someone for a vicarious pleasure. Besides jacking off is easier.
I lost more than a few tiles upon reentry

AlP

Quote from: "leonswan2000"Animals sometimes force sex [rape] in nature. This is rare and usualy means a gender is in short supply. {yes its always the female.]
I think that needs some fact checking.
Quote from: "leonswan2000"I dont rape because I'm not into traumatizing someone for a vicarious pleasure.
Good for you.
Quote from: "leonswan2000"Besides jacking off is easier.
Amen.

leonswan2000

Quote from: "AlP"
Quote from: "leonswan2000"Animals sometimes force sex [rape] in nature. This is rare and usualy means a gender is in short supply. {yes its always the female.]
I think that needs some fact checking.
Quote from: "leonswan2000"I dont rape because I'm not into traumatizing someone for a vicarious pleasure.
Good for you.
Quote from: "leonswan2000"Besides jacking off is easier.
Amen.
Ive watced two ducks hold down a female while they all had there way. I am not kidding or lying. I'll bet other people here who have worked around animals can colaborate. I mean the ducks didnt do it because they had a bad upbringing or duck peer presure.
I lost more than a few tiles upon reentry

theradwun

you guys are pathetic.  it was a serious question in the philosophy forum.  my question is why we evolved into moral beings, especially if the moral development seems contrary to our purpose.  i was assuming that a naturalist's thought must be that we developed these morals... naturally... because it was beneficial to our survival.  i chose one instance that seemed out of place in that purpose.  for example, why is murder wrong, well obviously if we all kill each other we won't survive.  why is good to help people, well because we'll all become stronger.  these are morals that would make sense to me.

no ulterior motives, please get over it.

I'll admit that when I asked the plain question "what do atheists think about rape?", it probably looked like a facetious question.  i should have elaborated when I asked it, I just wasn't thinking.  I usually start conversations with one simple question to see where it goes.

Kylyssa

Quote from: "theradwun"I'll admit that when I asked the plain question "what do atheists think about rape?", it probably looked like a facetious question.  i should have elaborated when I asked it, I just wasn't thinking.  I usually start conversations with one simple question to see where it goes.

You question looked exactly like the question asked by the Christian fundy nutball that threatened to rape and kill me a couple of months ago is what it looks like.

In some societies some forms of rape are considered moral.  Many Christians in South Africa, for instance, support what is called corrective rape.  Corrective rape is the raping of lesbian women to teach them a lesson.  Police will not arrest the rapists nor will the legal system prosecute it as a crime.

Since most atheists don't believe in the ideological arguments that defend rape, I'd guess that a slightly lower percentage of atheists are cool with rape than religious folk are.

As to why humans tend to find rape wrong - humans (and many other primates, possibly other mammals as well) possess an emotional quality known as empathy.  We evolved it because we are social animals, pack animals.  Humans are slow, weak, and lack adequate natural defenses so we evolved needing to protect each other.  Using empathy combined with reason we come to the conclusion that it's wrong to hurt other people.  But our society didn't evolve to the point where most people think rape is wrong until relatively recently. This is probably because, until recently in human history, many societies considered women to be property, to be used however their owner pleases.

theradwun

Quote from: "AlP"

Sensitively put. I do not find it strange that some humans, such as myself, find rape immoral. It really is progress. Now lets change the societies where rape is not immoral. Then we can start talk about being anything other than animals.

Sorry, this is a soft spot or me. Usually I go ballistic. Got it under control :)

How are we not animals?