News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

New Here

Started by Mike M., December 28, 2009, 05:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike M.

Hey everyone, I'm Mike.  I'm 15 and live in Ohio.  I was/am raised in a Roman Catholic Family, but recently have debated my own beliefs in God and religion.  What triggered this might have been the more in-depth reviews of the Old Testament that we have been doing in my Religion class.  So many parts of it just seem to have so many holes, and a lot of it seems like nonsense, such as God telling the Israelites to place any conquered people under the "ban".

Right now, I don't know if I think God exists yet.  I currently don't think that the Roman Catholic interpretation of God is quite accurate though.  So I think that right now I'm leaning more towards Agnosticism/Atheism.  It seems to me that belief in a God and religion as a whole seems to just be a coping mechanism for people, and a way for them to feel comfortable about their origins and inevitable ends.  So I'm not someone to say that if you believe in God or follow a religion that you are ignorant, but rather quite normal, because religion is a way for people to feel comfortable.

Well, that's all I have to say for now....

Thanks,
Mike M.

Whitney

Hi Mike, welcome to HAF.  Take your time figuring things out.  It's a personal journey that for many can take years.

Tanker

Hello and welcome. While reassesing your beliefs can often be a difficult journey it is often a very fulfilling one. It's a journey I have not reached the end of and doubt I ever will. While today I am very comfortable in what I believe and why, I never decide I'm finished learning. All I can recomend is you try to do the same. Again welcome and enjoy your stay.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

AlP

Hi Mike. I was brought up atheist. I know. Weird right?  lol

Enjoy your stay.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

G-Roll

ah the old testament....
you should look into the book The Bible Unearthed. or just browse through online articles about it.

"The historical saga contained in the Bible -- from Abraham's encounter with God and his journey to Canaan, to Moses' deliverance of the children of Israel from bondage, to the rise and fall of the kingdoms of Israel and Judah --was not a miraculous revelation, but a brilliant product of the human imagination."
it was written by a jewish archeologist named Isreal Finkelstien(sp).

it covers topics like
-biblical chronology, abraham and the people of genesis were active roughly 2000 BCE. the stories constantly mention camel caravans. however, archaeology has shown that camels were not domesticated until much later; camel caravans were no earlier than 1000 BCE.

-there is no evidence for the exodus as the Bible describes it.

-there is no evidence for a swift, decisive military conquest of canaan by israelites by 1200 BC.

-and calls BS about king david and solomons kingdom.

im just all about keepin' it real you know.  lol

anyways welcome.
Quote from: "Moslem"
Allah (that mean God)

LoneMateria

:welcome:  :welcome:

Take your time with your journey, and be honest with yourself.  It bothers me that you are reading a bible with an interpretation under it.  If you want to know what someone means in a book you need to read their words.  You don't need some translation.  That being said (since it sounds like you have to read the interpretation and everything) I would like to suggest reading the skeptics annotated bible http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com after you read a section of your bible.  I don't know if it contains the extra books the catholics believe in (it probably does) but it will point out contradictions, immorality, sexism, slavery, etc. in the bible.  Good luck on your journey and don't be afraid to ask us questions on here.  
Many of us were Christians before we became atheists and I think one or two people here were catholics.  We will do what we can to answer your questions and address your concerns.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Mike M.

Thanks for all the welcomes guys, I can tell I'm going to enjoy my stay here!