News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Re: Gimme That Ol' Time Atheism

Started by Recusant, December 16, 2009, 08:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

I came across the ancient Indian philosophy known as Cārvāka (Sanskrit: चार्वाक) this evening in my wanderings around the electronic wonderland.  I'm going to keep looking for stuff about it, but for now, the wiki article I link to above isn't too bad.  One thing that amused me is the idea that even back then, over a thousand years ago, there were apparently Hitchens types around:

QuoteThe etymological meaning of the word carvaka is 'a person who is clever in speech and is extremely fond of wrangling (debate)'.

And:

QuoteThe three authors of the Vedas were buffoons, knaves, and demons.
All the well-known formulae of the pandits, jarphari, turphari, etc.
and all the obscene rites for the queen commanded in Aswamedha,
these were invented by buffoons, and so all the various kinds of presents to the priests,
while the eating of flesh was similarly commanded by night-prowling demons.

I really had no idea before this that there had existed a school of atheist thought in India such a long time ago.  
I'm considering the idea of changing my world-view denominator.  I probably won't, but it sure is tempting.   8)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Miss Anthrope

QuoteI really had no idea before this that there had existed a school of atheist thought in India such a long time ago.
I'm considering the idea of changing my world-view denominator. I probably won't, but it sure is tempting.

NOOOO! "Infidel Barbarian" is too funny.
How big is the smallest fish in the pond? You catch one hundred fishes, all
of which are greater than six inches. Does this evidence support the hypothesis
that no fish in the pond is much less than six inches long? Not if your
net can’t catch smaller fish. -Nick Bostrom

coltcat

hmm.... what does atheism school actually taughts?

1.training your thinking and debating skill for engaging crazy peoples
that sounds more like a phlilosophy class focus on some issue.

2. math, logic, politcs, scientific knowledge...blahblah
thats.... schools by todays definition
Off course there is a god , Who else do you thinks brought us pastas?

Recusant

Quote from: coltcathmm.... what does atheism school actually taughts?

Hello, and welcome, coltcat.

In this particular case, when I write "school," I'm referring to what's known as a "school of thought."  A school of thought is not really a place of instruction.  It's actually more of a doctrine or set of doctrines that a group of people hold in common.  Though I would imagine that the Cārvāka did indeed instruct its members in techniques of debate, since they were apparently known for that. So the Cārvāka school of thought may have had actual schools in which instructions were given.  They're two different things though.  

Quote from: "url=http://www.thefreedictionary.com/school+of+thought]Free Dictionary.com[/url]"]noun--  school of thought:
The point of view held by a particular group.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

coltcat

Quote from: "Recusant"
Quote from: "coltcat"hmm.... what does atheism school actually taughts?

Hello, and welcome, coltcat.

In this particular case, when I write "school," I'm referring to what's known as a "school of thought."  A school of thought is not really a place of instruction.  It's actually more of a doctrine or set of doctrines that a group of people hold in common.  Though I would imagine that the Cārvāka did indeed instruct its members in techniques of debate, since they were apparently known for that. So the Cārvāka school of thought may have had actual schools in which instructions were given.  They're two different things though.  

Quote from: "url=http://www.thefreedictionary.com/school+of+thought]Free Dictionary.com[/url]"]noun--  school of thought:
The point of view held by a particular group.
oops, my bad :blush:
just check some pages about Cārvāka,
it seems for me it's more like a anti-brahman,materialism idea.
Off course there is a god , Who else do you thinks brought us pastas?

Renegnicat

Wow. Looks like there's always been atheists, huh?

That does not bode well for the final destruction of religion.  :eek:
[size=135]The best thing to do is reflect, understand, apreciate, and consider.[/size]