News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Bible contradictions...

Started by taylor5172, November 11, 2009, 04:34:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taylor5172

Hello, I am a Christian.

I would like to offer you all the chance to see the biblical contradictions many of you say exist answered and explained..so feel free to post some and I will explain them for you

preferably with scripture references so i can do it quickly and not have to search...

taylor5172

guess not..lol figures..deleting my account now

LoneMateria

Half hour worth of work and a person is self vindicated.  I guess he never had interest in debating this subject that I like.  In the unlikely chance that he comes back or in case anyone else is interested I'll post a book I own called "The Bible Handbook" by W.P. Ball, G.W. Foote and others.  Originally this book was released about 100 years ago but since then there have been many additions.  ISBN 0-910309-26-4

It basically lists passages side by side showing the contradictions.  Including some that have been, "corrected" in recent years.  Oh and taylor if you are genuinely interested in talking about this i'd be more then willing to discuss it with you.  But you need to make the effort and don't expect me to instantly respond.  Unless you aren't honest about your convictions.  On the chance you do come back here is some busy work for you can you explain why Genesis 2:17 and 5:5 don't contradict each other?  Did God get it wrong?  Is God a lier?  Is the bible itself in error?  Is this an inconsistent made up story?  Or can you make up an answer that somehow makes these reconcile?
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Recusant

Yes, it's obvious that you were sincere in your offer.  You waited about half an hour from your first post before you decided to scurry off.  What, do you think that the members of this forum just lurk around here waiting for some itinerant  biblical scholar to stop by and enlighten them?  Actually, that post is nearly identical to the one that started this thread, which went for 15 pages or so.  At least you managed to spell 'contradictions' correctly.  Thanks for your offer.  I'll probably live in regret from now on that I've missed the chance to revel in your sparkling repartee and be educated by your profound knowledge.  Somehow I'll just have to find the strength to go on... :shake:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Whitney

Quote from: "taylor5172"guess not..lol...chill.  You gave everyone a whole half hour to post.  btw, you can't delete your account.

LoneMateria

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "taylor5172"guess not..lol...chill.  You gave everyone a whole half hour to post.  btw, you can't delete your account.

We need a smiley to show this type of failure.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.

SSY

Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Whitney

Quote from: "LoneMateria"
Quote from: "Whitney"

We need a smiley to show this type of failure.
how about all of these together?   :sigh:  wtf  :twak:  :spam2:

LoneMateria

Quote from: "Whitney"how about all of these together?   :sigh:  wtf  :twak:  :spam2:

I don't think I will remember that ... perhaps we can get a smiley to wet itself and then failure scrolls in front of it ^_^ ... or something along those lines.

Mark L Holland

Please respond to these lies as told by Luke and Matthew

Baby Jesus lies & Contradictions
December 14, 2009 by Mark Holland
  In Luke they go to Bethlehem to be taxed, Mary has the baby, And there was great fan fare with the shepherds spreading the word abroad. eight days later Jesus is circumcised and after Mary’s purification they went to Jerusalem where Jesus is proclaimed the Christ by Simeon.  They then went back home to Nazareth and every year journeyed to Jerusalem for pass over. Verse 42 clearly says this was an ongoing ritual for Jesus was 12 at this time that they went and they had gone every year since his birth.

In Matthew Joseph, Mary and Jesus were in a house in Bethlehem, according to the wise men Jesus should have been around two years old, two years past the taxing recorded in Luke.  It was their estimation that Herod used to kill all children under two in Bethlehem and in the coastal cities.  Joseph is told to take Mary and Jesus to Egypt until the death of Herod. After the death of Herod, Joseph feared the son of Herod and turned aside into parts of Galilee. Joseph was returning home to Bethlehem in Judea before God told him in a dream to turn aside into Galilee where he came into and dwelt in Nazareth.

Let’s take it from the top, Matthew claims that Herod only found out about the new born king when the wise men showed up.  But in Luke the shepherds were spreading the word abroad that the king was born a full two years earlier. No secret there and a big deal was made at the temple in Jerusalem when the infant Jesus was presented and Simeon declared Jesus the Christ, according to Matthew, two year old baby Jesus and family went into Egypt and stayed there until Herod died.  According to Luke, Baby Jesus and family lived in Nazareth and journeyed to Jerusalem every year for Passover which is where Herod lived for the first 12 years of Jesus’  life.

According to Matthew Herod wanted Jesus dead so badly that he ordered the killing of all two year olds and younger in Bethlehem. But Jesus visited Jerusalem every year after birth for 12 years this of course while Luke claims baby Jesus and family were happily living in Nazareth awaiting their next pilgrimage to Jerusalem for Passover while Matthew claims the mass murder of all children 2 years and younger was happening in Bethlehem while baby Jesus and family were hiding in fear in Egypt.

These two stories are lies. Neither story has any evidence to back them and they contradict each other they are lies. The Rama prophecy that is claimed to have been fulfilled by Herod’s killing of the children is a false claim and is a lie Matthew 2:17 Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, Mt 2:18 In Rama was there a voice heard, lamentation, and weeping, and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children, and would not be comforted, because they are not.

The Rama prophecy that is claimed to have been fulfilled by Herod’s killing of the children is a false claim and is a lie

Jeremiah 31:15 Thus saith the Lord; A voice was heard in Ramah, lamentation, and bitter weeping; Rahel weeping for her children refused to be comforted for her children, because they were not. Jer 31:16 Thus saith the Lord; Refrain thy voice from weeping, and thine eyes from tears: for thy work shall be rewarded, saith the Lord; and they shall come again from the land of the enemy. Jer 31:17 And there is hope in thine end, saith the Lord, that thy children shall come again to their own border.

This is a rule two prophecy, the author of Matthew tried to show that the killing of the children had been prophesied. It had not been, In Jeremiah, 31:16 and 31:17 God says the children would return home. Also the name of the prophet is not Jeremy.

Matthew 2:23 And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.

I could find no reference in the Old Testament to, He shall be called a Nazarene. The closes I could come, was to Sampson the Nazarite. So either the author lied again or his reference was to Sampson not Christ.

Also according to Matthew it was Herod the Father who wanted Jesus dead, and that it was not until Herod the Fathers death that Baby Jesus and family returned out of Egypt, but look at this.

Herod , also known as Herod I or Herod the Great (born 74 BC, died 4 BC in Jericho, was a Roman client king of Israel.[1] He is often confused with his son Herod Antipas, also of the Herodian dynasty, who was ruler of Galilee (4 BC â€" 39 AD) during the time of John the Baptist and Jesus of Nazareth. Herod is known for his colossal building projects in Jerusalem and other parts of the ancient world, including the rebuilding of the Second Temple in Jerusalem, sometimes referred to as Herod’s Temple. Some details of his biography can be gleaned from the works of the 1st century AD Roman-Jewish historian Josephus Flavius.

So Herod the great died 4 years before Jesus’ Birth, Herod’s son ruled from 4 years before his birth to 39 years after Jesus’ birth so according to this Jesus would have had to have stayed in Egypt for 37 years if he moved there when he was 2 years old, before attempting to return to Bethlehem and Joseph deciding to move to Nazareth.

So it would be impossible for Jesus to have spent his first 12 years living in Nazareth and journeying to Jerusalem 12 times for Passover as Luke claims if he spent 37 years after he was 2 years old living in Egypt. As Matthew claims. Sorry, but as the old saying goes it simply does not compute.

:bananacolor: