News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Hello from the UK, and a question on atheist fiction...

Started by drew, October 21, 2009, 01:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drew

Hi all,

I've been a 'lurker' for a while on here, but was prompted to join by the 'Transcience' post from earlier in the month.

By way of introduction, I'd view myself as an atheist, but with deist weaknesses, having spent something like fifteen years 'un-indoctrinating' (is that a word, it is now!) myself from christianity. Attending both protestant churches and schools from a young age I became a charismatic right-wing evangelist, young-earth creationist pentecostal in my teenage years, utterly convinced of the inerrancy of scripture, miraculous interventionalist prayer and my own personal 'hotline' to God.

My escape? It was prompted by a half recalled series of Astronomy lectures given by Carl Sagan in 1978. I was fortunate enough to have an interest in Astronomy rekindled in the 90s, which slowly but inexorably led me to question aspects of my 'faith'. Each unravelling thread led to another, and the whole edifice eventually crashed around me. I now stand bereft of a God, but secure in the knowledge of my place in the universe, and able to fully appreciate the short span of time to which I have the fortune to be allotted.

To order my own thinking and to assist me in tentatively exploring the world about me without a God present, I wrote a number of bits of dialogue between characters with opposing viewpoints (arguably myself in different contexts). I've decided to put this together as a fictional tale, rather than a drier personal account, so as to best expose what I consider to now be the more dangerous excesses of Christianity, and potential encourage others to follow the path I trod.

Whether this results in a book worthy of publishing is something of a moot point at the moment, though a number of people have expressed an interest in reading it. However, 'they' do say - 'Write about what you know', which is precisely what I've done. I'd be quite interested in comparing and contrasting it with similar genre items, which leads me (rather longwindedly I'll admit) to my question.

I've found a number of atheist/christian novels, but, almost without exception, they are of the "Atheist sees the error of their ways and becomes a Christian" variety. Mine will clearly operate the other way around, with a few plot devices to increase dramatic tension. Does anyone have some "Christian summons courage to deny their faith and becomes an Atheist" fictional novels (not sci-fi or fantasy) they could recommend?

I'm happy to post up some of my work if people are interested, but I didn't want this to appear to be a plug for a book, even if it doesn't yet exist.  ;)

Greetings, by the way.

Cheers,

Drew.

curiosityandthecat

Hi Drew. Welcome. :blush: But hey, if you can make it work, more power to ya!

And welcome, again!
-Curio

drew

Thanks for the welcome... !

In terms of 'uplifting' I've aimed for a sort of "scales falling from the eyes" sense of realisation that a life without religion can be joyously embraced on behalf of two deliberately polarised characters who interact throughout the course of the story. Throw in some fraud, medical problems, financial instability, examples of the best and worst kind of Christian behaviour, bitterness, wasted youth, betrayal, family breakdown, unfulfilled dreams and some 'will-they-wont-they' romance and you're pretty much there. (I've had an interesting life!)

Cheers,

Drew.

curiosityandthecat

-Curio

drew

Many thanks, I'll check those out. Must have missed the Scott Adams' one, I enjoyed the 'Dilbert' strip back in the day  ;)

Cheers,

Drew.

Whitney

Welcome to HAF, Drew.

I think there isn't much content in the pro-atheist novels category because a lot of people in the freethought circle tend to be the nerdy technical oriented type and tend to only read non-fiction.  But, there are exceptions.  I think a good way to appeal to both sides is if you wrote a novel based on actual events.  For instance, maybe your novel is set in the dark ages and gives detailed descriptions of what was going on during that time (from a rational perspective) and that person's interactions which a chrisitain who realizes the folly of belief.  Basically, something that would appeal to the history buff while still falling within the novel category.

The Story of B is about a minister who becomes an animist and antichrist (but not the way we traditionally think of an antichrist).
http://www.amazon.com/Story-B-Daniel-Qu ... 0553379011

It's a novel, but it also addresses philosophical questions.  Quinn is my favorite author...he writes novels but they tend to take on the Socratic method so that while they tell a story they make you think.  The series goes Ishamel, The Story of B, My Ishmael....but you can read them alone without being confused (they just make a lot more sense when read in order).

drew

Hey Whitney,

Thanks for the link, I'll check that out. My current novel is set in the 'now' - well, probably a couple of years back given how long it's taken me to put it together!

I might explore the historical aspect next, but I was trying to avoid doing a lot of background research, at least at the moment - as I only get a chance to write during the commute on the train and don't have any 'net access at that point.

Cheers,

Drew.

Silver Lining

Welcome! I am very impressed with your writing in just this little introduction. I would definitely read a book you might write in the future. Keep us up to date in that area. And good luck with it!
Silver Lining