News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Re: Why God doesn't exist?

Started by Recusant, December 14, 2009, 09:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

:hmm: Were you planning on writing something?

LoneMateria

Quote from: "Whitney":hmm: Were you planning on writing something?

I don't think he was.  Very unimaginative.  If you don't want this thread to end up in the troll post section at least try and promote discussion.  Ask a question like why do you atheists think there is no god?  Then go from there.  We can give you tons of reasons why we don't think god exists.  All you need to do is ask.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

AlP

I rather like SeekerOfKnowledge's concise question. I'll turn it around.

Why God does exist?

And out of interest, what does existence mean?
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Will

Why doesn't god exist?

Interesting question. I'd have to start out by citing that most gods in history are inherently contradictory. If something has traits which contradict other traits, either the thing does not have one more more of those traits or it cannot exist. Let's say, for example, I know of a god that has a perfect memory but that's also quite forgetful. Either I'm wrong about the perfect memory or the forgetfulness, or the god cannot exist because two of its traits are logical contradictions.

Let's apply this to, say, the god mentioned in the Islamic faith (as you've put "Muslim" as your religious belief). It's well established in the Qur'anâ€"in Surah 6:131, 7:28, and 16:90 for exampleâ€"that Allah does not command indecency or evil. This is an established trait which is presented as universal, or without exception. Unfortunately, in Surah 17:16, Allah does just that; he commands abomination. This is an internal contradiction, therefore either important passages in the Qur'an are wrong, meaning that all Muslims are reading an errant scripture, or Allah cannot exist.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Ellainix

Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

Whitney

Quote from: "LoneMateria"I don't think he was.  Very unimaginative.  

Indeed....very pointless question too.  That's like asking why the light spectrum works so that the sky normally appears to be blue.  Some things just are the way they are and there isn't a real reason for it; at least not one we can claim knowledge of.

Squid

Quote from: "SeekerOfKnowledge"...

Because I like to party....

LARA

QuoteEllainix wote: I think therefor I am.

Excellent.  Descartes proof of his own existence.  Now prove mine, or anyone else's for that matter, without God.  Descartes was not able to do it.  (Discourse on Method by Renee Descartes.  I think this is the title of his treatise where he first introduced the proof of his existence.)

And after you prove my existence, would you be so kind to prove the existence of, say, a rock?  

As we all know, rocks don't think.  <smartmouthed weirdness>Or do they?</smartmouthed weirdness>
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

LARA

SeekerOfKnowledge, what is God?
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

SSY

Note the significance of "..." . Three dots, not two, not four, but 3, little dots. I think we can all see what he is getting at here, if we just look hard enough, truly poetic. Such sublime use of the full stop, in a post modern ironic context, run through with a dash of Dickensian whimsy, obviously betrays the presence of a superb mind, a true intellectual powerhouse, who transcends boundaries even as he redefines them. A voice of our generation.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Recusant

Quote from: "SSY"Such sublime use of the full stop, in a post modern ironic context, run through with a dash of Dickensian whimsy, obviously betrays the presence of a superb mind, a true intellectual powerhouse, who transcends boundaries even as he redefines them.

Once again the uncanny perspicacity which I've previously noted in SSY's contributions here is displayed.  

Now that you've pointed it out, SSY, the shattering eloquence of the OP is clear to me.  Too bad he's wasting such a gift here, where only a very few especially astute individuals can recognize it.  I think he might be better appreciated if he took his breathtakingly concise writing style elsewhere.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken