News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

HAF Member Art Thread

Started by Whitney, December 06, 2009, 05:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elliebean

Well, since I introduced myself as an artist and claimed it as my occupation in my profile, I might as well share some examples of my work. :D Here are a few samples of my paintings from grad school:

And some images of my porcelain sculpture, as well:

Enjoy! :D
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

McQ

Ellie, I like this style. The fourth painting is my favorite of the group. Can you tell me more about it and them? Also, the porcelain sculptures are really wonderful. Take this as a compliment that I love them, even though I can't really describe why. They just look and "feel" right.

I've come to love many kinds of art even more in recent years as one of my sons is in his Junior year at MICA, in Baltimore, MD. I've been able to see his work change, expand, and mature. It's so cool to see.

Thanks for posting and sharing these!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tom62

I fully agree with McQ. Your artistic skills are truly awesome. The  fourth picture is also my favorite one and the porcelain sculptures reminds me of some of the best pieces of art that I've seen at MOMA in New York.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

curiosityandthecat

Ellie, those are fantastic. Like Tom, it reminds me of the time I spent wandering around MoMA just before New Year's.  :hail:

Never noticed this thread before... guess I'd better add some of mine.

-Curio

elliebean

Thank you, Tom and McQ for those amazing compliments!  :)
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

elliebean

Those are beautiful, Curio!

The first one looks a LOT like my first painting professor, except that he always kept his hair in a tight little ponytail. I think I only ever saw it down once in four years.

Whitney

ellie, very nice art.

Interested in http://pecha-kucha.org/ ?    I'm helping with one (either under that name or something just like it) here in dallas and was told to start getting a list of artists together from the area.

elliebean

Quote from: "Whitney"ellie, very nice art.

Interested in http://pecha-kucha.org/ ?    I'm helping with one (either under that name or something just like it) here in dallas and was told to start getting a list of artists together from the area.

Thank you and, OMG YES! You have no idea how much that could help me to get back on track, in terms of having my work seen again and being involved. Anyway, I've got to create some appearance of a career before I get shunned by my inlaws. :D

Whitney

great, I don't know when it will be yet but will let you know as soon as I find out.  I'm doing this through AIA but if we don't do something there is a guy running PKN in dallas whom I can get you in touch with.

McQ

I thought that work looked like mixed media, but this being a two-dimensional web page I didn't want to assume anything. Really great work. You can post anything you want here. Personally, I'd love to see all of your work. We seem to have a very talented group of members here. Some of the artistic expressions we've seen here are extraordinary.

Curio, I really like your photos as well. The first one, which looks like a really cool candid/street shot, is great. That guy's face just tells a story. The colors in the sunset photo are so bold and crisp. On that last shot, it's very cool, but one thing I'd do if it were mine would be to crop it so the person bending over in the lower left corner isn't visible. Otherwise, it's very cool and a little scary! LOL!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Kylyssa

I'm still recovering from nerve damage to my dominant hand.  But I guess I'm finally willing to put up a little of my art with my new limitations.  Since I've lost a great deal of fine control, I've gone to picking out light and shadow rather than line and contour - if that makes any sense.

Rich Sleeping
Chalk, charcoal, and graphite pencil.  

How Light Attaches to a Girl in Darkness
Colored chalk and charcoal on dark paper.

I know, representative art is sooo last century but I'm not an artist, I'm just a writer.

pinkocommie

Wow.  Those are both beautiful.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Tom62

Wow 2. Three super talented artists posting their beautiful art work on a single day on this forum.  :hail:
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

elliebean

Quote from: "Kylyssa"I'm still recovering from nerve damage to my dominant hand.  But I guess I'm finally willing to put up a little of my art with my new limitations.  Since I've lost a great deal of fine control, I've gone to picking out light and shadow rather than line and contour - if that makes any sense.
It makes perfect sense. If I were still teaching drawing, one of the first things I'd tell my students is to learn to do what you're doing - even if they have to bind their fingers together with bandages before trying to draw. This will have a huge impact on your technique and how you 'see' what you're drawing. An excercise I was taught for linear/contour drawing was to draw with a piece of charcoal fixed to the end of a stick, at least three feet long, gripping the other end with only your fingertips, and having only a few seconds to complete a full figure. Most of the drawings done in that way are total crap and don't resemble anything but scratches, much less figures. But most people who try it, after a few days, are much more skillful renderers.

By the way, those two drawings are just gorgeous!

It's late now, but maybe tomorrow I'll share with you some of my work from the last century.  ;)

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "McQ"Curio, I really like your photos as well. The first one, which looks like a really cool candid/street shot, is great. That guy's face just tells a story. The colors in the sunset photo are so bold and crisp. On that last shot, it's very cool, but one thing I'd do if it were mine would be to crop it so the person bending over in the lower left corner isn't visible. Otherwise, it's very cool and a little scary! LOL!
On the print I actually did. That was just the one that I had handy (didn't want to search for the edited version). The guy in the first one was exactly what you said, a candid street shot taken during an international street fair here in town. There was a Jamaican band playing and he was just daaaaaancing, the only guy in the world.  :bananacolor:
-Curio