News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Is It Easier for Sociopaths?

Started by Sophus, November 20, 2009, 09:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LovingLife

In order to answer this question you first have to have the basic understanding of what a sociopath is as opposed to a psychopath.  Often in the general public those two terms are interchangable but they have vast differences and vastly different implications.  I've written an extensive thesis on this topic so I thought I would give this question a go.

Sociopath is generally made into such a person.  Let me clarify.  Individuals such as Jerry Brudos or Eddie Gein are born into families that are abusive, neglectful, criminal and those children are made to suffer for it by both physical and mental abuse sometimes with sexual.  It is common for a wife beater to pass that behavior onto his son, simply because the boy growing up sees this from an adult that he naturally learns from, and his brain grows (literally, the neurons and paths are created) to accept this as "right" behavior.  Changing that belief system involves changing literally how his brain works.  It cannot be done.  Once those pathways are created that is where those electronic messages get sent that influence the behavior.  Add this component to the above mentioned serial sociopathic murderers of the past, in which their early environment literally shaped how their brain formed to find that certain activities were "right", "normal" or "acceptable".  Where later they develop into criminal behavior, that oft times leads to murder.

Psychopathy however is different.  This is where, for some unknown reason, possibly genetic, one is born "bad".  That famous "bad seed".  Little Mary Bell, the picture of a cute little 10 year old blonde girl who killed two little boys (just imagine the picture, in fact I would label her a sociopath since her mother was a prostitute who on several occasions tried to give Mary and her absent father was a criminal).  They are the ones in which no bad childhood was displayed, their family was good/moral (considering the scrutiny of looking at anyone's family/childhood) and no one can conceive how they "learned" their behavior.  This is still an ongoing research effort into why or how one is born with a conscience, or an inate ability to be compassionate towards others hardships.

As to the question.  I would say on the issue of a sociopath, no it is not necessarily easier for them considering their past, that most if not all of their behavior is learned from the irresponsible adults around them.  Minus the medical mumbo-jumbo, it is least to say that they cannot help their mental status, a lack of feeling empathy towards other in which makes it "easier" for them to harm others.  That is not to say that they have any excuse for their actions, but they do for their mental processes.

As for psychopaths, it depends on what you mean by easier.  Most people will say that the greatest thing about life is the ability to feel for other people.  The love towards your spouse, being proud of a child accomplishment, devotion towards your parents etc.  Human beings are social creatures in which we are bond to one another, the approval of our "pack", wanting to help others succeed (so that we all succeed).  They feel none of that.  They truly have no love for others, they do not feel sadness for others, hope for others, they cannot miss other people simply as markers in their lives, they cannot express their own hope, fears, dreams to friends because they have none other than how to get themselves on top.  When one person say that they want to be a doctor it is because they want to help people or fix their injuries.  For them they want that job for the power, for controlling another.  When someone says they want to join the military, it is for standing up for their country and their values to help those back home.  When they join it is because they want to have the power of life and to harm others. To me, that is a sad lonely terrible existence, void of anything that we value as human beings, as pack animals, as social creatures.

Sophus

Quote from: "LovingLife"In order to answer this question you first have to have the basic understanding of what a sociopath is as opposed to a psychopath.  Often in the general public those two terms are interchangable but they have vast differences and vastly different implications.  I've written an extensive thesis on this topic so I thought I would give this question a go.....

What a great response. Thank you for your input. I had thought that the original coined term was psychopath but was simply changed to sociopath for whatever reason. Looks like the concept alltogether is evolving.

Even though they come about differently they still act in pretty much the same way, or no?

They're not incapable of feeling joy are they? Not just pleasure but a deep joy.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver