News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Climate Change (AKA Global Warming)

Started by Sophus, November 16, 2009, 04:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

templeboy

Quote from: "Sophus"Out of curiosity: how do scientists claim to know the temperatures from hundreds as well as thousands of years ago?  :hmm:

I think the most common way is ice cores in places like greenland

Just like tree rings, really, -icecores you can quite literally tell how cold was the year 232341BC.

And if there is a weakness in one core, there are multiple cores to compare and compute against each other.

This would be directly taken out of Al Gores film!

Overall the thing that strikes me about the climate change debate is how oversimplified it is, as Will said. Honestly, even if climate change is less anthropologically caused than is the current scientific consensus (bar a few dissenters), there are still so many other disasters that we are not doing enough to avoid. We are running out of oil. We are losing our freshwater reserves. We are running out of minerals. Climate Change or no Climate Change, something is going to give, and if we don't take action to avert it, it will result in starvation, bloodshed and misery.

Just my two cents worth :p
"The fool says in his heart: 'There is no God.' The Wise Man says it to the world."- Troy Witte

Sophus

Anybody read Not By Fire but By Ice? Here's a little tid bit:

http://americandaily.com/index.php/article/2950 ..... thoughts?
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Kidnapkid

moved this thread.
"We never know just where our bones will rest. To dust, I guess. Forgotten and absorbed into the earth below." -Billy Corgan

Kidnapkid

Quote from: "Sophus"Out of curiosity: how do scientists claim to know the temperatures from hundreds as well as thousands of years ago?  :hmm:

I know that it's actually studies from glaciers that give scientists a good idea about global temperatures. Coring into the ice from various glaciers give an idea about the temperatures going back millions of years. Less ice layered more warmth more ice layered more cold. It's all really scientific. Check this out about how ice coring works in relation to temperature. http://www.gisp2.sr.unh.edu/MoreInfo/Ice_Cores_Past.html

It's kinda sad that our best resource for looking into past temperatures and things like asteroids and things like volcanoes erupting and what not are being destroyed while we sit here and debate global warming.
"We never know just where our bones will rest. To dust, I guess. Forgotten and absorbed into the earth below." -Billy Corgan

Kidnapkid

One more non response post

Earth Now

Earth After

North America

http://vrstudio.buffalo.edu/~depape/warming/100meter.html

Just some maps that show how the earth could change if the ice really does melt.