The GOD Theory's Universal Flaw “Existence”

Started by TheJackel, December 23, 2009, 06:16:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McQ

I'm going to ask that everyone relax and stop the pettiness that has ensued here. I don't want to hear, "Well he said it first!" or anything like that.

The facts are that yes, indeed TheJackel's initial post was very long and had the first appearance of a lot of the spam we've been getting recently. But he is right in saying that the issue was quickly addressed. Any sniping about "dump pile of crazy troll posts" or antagonizing messages after that were unwarranted. TheJackel is also right about feeling that this isn't the "Happy Atheist" forum with such messages still pouring in after several explanations. So I'm asking members to knock it off. Just knock it off...no smart-ass replies to this post or any other.

Now, to you, TheJackel. You are not engendering any good will or positive attitudes by your attitude. You came into this forum with guns blazing and have repeatedly insulted the membership at large by generalizing the actions of a few people to the whole forum. Not good. If you are here to participate in the forum and share your valuable insights with others, then by all means, do it. We are always happy to have people join and love the interaction and addition of new ideas.

You'll find this forum is happy, by and large. But it is fairly tightly moderated for all members (one of the reasons I'm stepping in now is that replies in this thread is an example of something not tolerated). So please do not make the mistake of generalizing this forum based on both your errors (one of which was not bothering to make an initial post describing why you're here, introducing yourself, and letting us know you before posting a wall of text and links) and the responses of a few people.

I hope you find this to be helpful, as it is only meant to be so. Again, the responses of some of the members was inappropriate not will not continue, and you also need to tone it down.

Thank you all.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

TheJackel

Quote from: "McQ"I'm going to ask that everyone relax and stop the pettiness that has ensued here. I don't want to hear, "Well he said it first!" or anything like that.

The facts are that yes, indeed TheJackel's initial post was very long and had the first appearance of a lot of the spam we've been getting recently. But he is right in saying that the issue was quickly addressed. Any sniping about "dump pile of crazy troll posts" or antagonizing messages after that were unwarranted. TheJackel is also right about feeling that this isn't the "Happy Atheist" forum with such messages still pouring in after several explanations. So I'm asking members to knock it off. Just knock it off...no smart-ass replies to this post or any other.

Now, to you, TheJackel. You are not engendering any good will or positive attitudes by your attitude. You came into this forum with guns blazing and have repeatedly insulted the membership at large by generalizing the actions of a few people to the whole forum. Not good. If you are here to participate in the forum and share your valuable insights with others, then by all means, do it. We are always happy to have people join and love the interaction and addition of new ideas.

You'll find this forum is happy, by and large. But it is fairly tightly moderated for all members (one of the reasons I'm stepping in now is that replies in this thread is an example of something not tolerated). So please do not make the mistake of generalizing this forum based on both your errors (one of which was not bothering to make an initial post describing why you're here, introducing yourself, and letting us know you before posting a wall of text and links) and the responses of a few people.

I hope you find this to be helpful, as it is only meant to be so. Again, the responses of some of the members was inappropriate not will not continue, and you also need to tone it down.

Thank you all.

My apologies for my own attitude... I let my temper get the best of me here.. I appreciate your stepping in here because sometimes someone needs to step in and say "Hey guys listen, we all need to respect each other here".. And I failed to do that myself...  :shake:

LoneMateria

First off McQ you know me and i'm not bickering here.  When I bicker my post is about as long as the OP :P   In my 2 sentence post I was trying to clarify a misconception that he seemed to have.  Though this post will be longer I am working along those lines trying to clarify a few points.

Now to TheJackel you are correct what looks like spam and what is spam can be 2 very different things.  Your OP is indistinguishable from spam to the casual users and I realize you've apologized for it.  That was just the point I was trying to get across.   Some of our better posters like Will and SSY who would be able to go 12 rounds with you and would promote a very well thought out discussion will look at this as spam and disregard it accordingly.  I understand that you aren't demanding we read this (due to time reasons I have yet been able to) however if you genuinely want a discussion about it you should try to make it as reader friendly in the beginning as possible.  You know rope a few people in and then get to the nitty gritty parts.  ^_^

Also having something labeled as spam will discredit it and rightly so.  It shows the user has no interest in debating the topic s/he is  putting forth and that the user is unable to back up the points s/he is trying to make when faced with opposition.  To me, at least, spam looks like intellectual dishonesty from someone who just wants to be an ass.  However this isn't spam it just looks like it.  When you get a few more posts under your belt you will be able to post something this long without scrutiny.  I'm sorry if I came across as an ass like I said in the beginning i'm just trying to clarify a few misconceptions out there.  ^_^
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Tanker

Quote from: "LoneMateria"First off McQ you know me and i'm not bickering here.  When I bicker my post is about as long as the OP :P   In my 2 sentence post I was trying to clarify a misconception that he seemed to have.  Though this post will be longer I am working along those lines trying to clarify a few points.

Now to TheJackel you are correct what looks like spam and what is spam can be 2 very different things.  Your OP is indistinguishable from spam to the casual users and I realize you've apologized for it.  That was just the point I was trying to get across.   Some of our better posters like Will and SSY who would be able to go 12 rounds with you and would promote a very well thought out discussion will look at this as spam and disregard it accordingly.  I understand that you aren't demanding we read this (due to time reasons I have yet been able to) however if you genuinely want a discussion about it you should try to make it as reader friendly in the beginning as possible.  You know rope a few people in and then get to the nitty gritty parts.  ^_^

Also having something labeled as spam will discredit it and rightly so.  It shows the user has no interest in debating the topic s/he is  putting forth and that the user is unable to back up the points s/he is trying to make when faced with opposition.  To me, at least, spam looks like intellectual dishonesty from someone who just wants to be an ass.  However this isn't spam it just looks like it.  When you get a few more posts under your belt you will be able to post something this long without scrutiny.  I'm sorry if I came across as an ass like I said in the beginning i'm just trying to clarify a few misconceptions out there.  ^_^

Ditto.

I honestly wasn't being a smart ass. I was attempting to give the OP examples of why he was originaly thought to be spam and thought I was rather cordial about it.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Ihateyoumike

Now, if anyone wants to be shown what spam really looks like and why we are so quick to jump on it... Idiots like "a man" posting the same wall of text throughout the forum will show you why.
That is until they get the well deserved boot.

As for this thread... Read the thread, but admit not the whole op cause I too assumed it was spam. Look forward to going back and reading the op when I get more time.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

TheJackel

I made quite a few grammar and spelling errors in that post :O... When I have the time, I will slowly go through it and make it more reader friendly ;)...

LoneMateria

Quote from: "TheJackel"I made quite a few grammar and spelling errors in that post :O... When I have the time, I will slowly go through it and make it more reader friendly lol everyone sucks at spelling and grammar.  What browser do you use?  Google chrome has a built in spell checker (no grammar checker though) and it comes in handy when I post on the forums.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Whitney

TheJackel, I just got home from visiting family for the holidays and will respond to your comments later.  I skim read what you said and apparently I need to read your whole "wall of text" thing to see what in the world you are talking about as you seem to have an issue with accepting that everything not existing is possible and with the theistic idea of us being a part of god (which I am prepared to defend as much as I can being an atheist).  I don't really have time to do that now so "later" may be a while.

TheJackel

Quote from: "Whitney"TheJackel, I just got home from visiting family for the holidays and will respond to your comments later.  I skim read what you said and apparently I need to read your whole "wall of text" thing to see what in the world you are talking about as you seem to have an issue with accepting that everything not existing is possible and with the theistic idea of us being a part of god (which I am prepared to defend as much as I can being an atheist).  I don't really have time to do that now so "later" may be a while.

I think you have some of what I said backwards :P

TheJackel

BTW.. I have corrected many of the spelling errors and grammatical errors in Microsoft Word..... I will be posting this Edited version as soon as I get it formatted.. It will replace the original, so I won't be posting it twice... :D However, I am sure there are many errors that still  remain :/