News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Huffing Post Article: God Crisis!

Started by mokeyatheist, October 13, 2009, 12:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mokeyatheist

One of the best articles I've read in a long time: Landon Ross writes a piece in the Huffington Post describing his journey to atheism and how much more must be done to challenge the religious right.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/landon-ross/the-god-crisis_b_316606.html

LoneMateria

Interesting where did those numbers come from?  How was the survey performed?  Oh and welcome to the forum ^_^ there is an introduction section here so you can tell us a little about yourself.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Recusant

Quote from: "LoneMateria"...where did those numbers come from?

I should give mokeyathiest a chance to reply to this, but in fact, after reading the linked article I had the same question.
So I asked.  Some blighter has already used my chosen moniker, so I had to use one of my other personae.  :|

Quote from: "Landon Ross"...The questionnaire figures were from an National Science Foundation survey 2001, that can be found online. They have five or six subsequent followup years of the survey with similar results. Lawrence Krauss, who often discusses these figures in his talks, initially brought them to my attention. His talks can be found on youtube, I highly recommend them if you are interested in more detail - His musings on cosmology and science are delectable, never dry or dull. "Origins" intiative is fantastic... Back to the numbers: the rest are from ARIS 2001-2008, and more data can be found at pew (but I didn't use these figures).
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

LoneMateria

Thank you I will check it out ^_^.  I don't post on sites like those just because I will rarely go back >.<
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Merlin

Its really great...  because it's bold, not timid like the live and let live people....  Strong supporter of the S.C.A. here, he mentions them in it.