News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

'' You're disrespecting theists ! '' ... What ??

Started by xxMaryJane, September 19, 2009, 02:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xxMaryJane

I've talked about mean comments, questions and attitude I get sometimes from some theists. For my own happiness, I chose to ignore mean things some people say to make me feel bad about my beliefs. Well, I ignore most of them because some of the things they say sometimes stick in my mind.
It doesn't hurt my feelings anymore, I just question myself : Why do they say that ? Why do they need to say that ? What's going on in their minds ?
I guess I can only try to understandthose people better by trying to get ''answers'' to these questions.

One of the things that I ( still ) don't understand is when people ask me sooo many questions about me being an atheist or just religion in general and when I answer, they get all mad and tell me : Shut up ! You're disrespecting theists ! You're disrespecting our beliefs !
I know it's not every theist who act like that but when some of them do, I barely know what to answer.
I don't get it. I'm giving my opinions about what they ask me. I'm talking about my personal beliefs. I'm giving my own arguments about what we're talking about. I never say things like : I think that God doesn't exist, and you shouldn't as well! If you do, you're a retard!
I think talking like THAT is disrespectful... and retarted.

I guess we're not seeing things from the same angle.
They're telling ME to shup up. They're getting mad at ME.
Because of what ? Because I'm being honest and they don't want to hear what I have to say ?
The moment they know I'm an atheist, they should know they're not going to agree with what I say ( obviously.. )
If so, why are they asking me my opinions about religion KNOWING that I'm an atheist ?
Even when they don't know, I still think I need to speak calmly and honestly so this is what I do. I think I need explanations on this one...
''The world is a tragedy to those who feel but a comedy to those who think.''

Will

Doubt, then guilt, then anger. The first one is only natural, the second is programmed by religion, and the third is the natural reaction to being programmed to be unthinking: frustration.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

LoneMateria

A lot of people have poor definitions of themselves (i'm included).  People solve this by defining themselves by their religion.  When you point out to these people whats wrong with their thought process when it comes to religion they take it as a personal attack.  Not your fault.  

Depending on the situation I might say something along the lines of, "You are disrespecting my beliefs by being willingly ignorant of your own beliefs.", or, "Are your beliefs so weak that they can't handle a little criticism"(stolen quote btw), or, "If God wants me to shut up he'd tell me himself he wouldn't need you to tell me."  Maybe if the situation was just right, "The doubts you are having now are perfectly normal after all you are a smart and rational person, and your rational mind is trying to dislodge the irrationality known as religion from your mind.  Why would we have these large brains if we aren't supposed to use them?"
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Renegnicat

I hope you don't say that last one in the middle of a teen christian center.  :eek2:

I usually say something along the lines of, "No I'm not. You asked me about this.", then I wait for them to respond.

But also, I do tend to make more blunt and tactless comments than most. I see debate as a sport, you see, so it's no wonder so many people get upset with me.
[size=135]The best thing to do is reflect, understand, apreciate, and consider.[/size]

SSY

Considering the way in which these people view their religions, it is unsurprising they react this way.

Their whole lives they have been taught not to question, it rankles them when people do, especially an outsider. It also seems like a factor if they have some doubt in their beliefs, lacking a way to rationalise and ignore the critique of their ideas, they simply attack the critic.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Chimera

I've faced this same situation a lot lately, from both theist friends and family and an atheist friend who doesn't think it's right to speak against anything, apparently. I think that in the case of some theists, they may feel threatened by the things you write. Not that you mean to be threatening, of course, but when people start to hear things that go against what they hold most dear, and those things make more sense, it can be very scary. It's terrifying to be challenged like that--I know that much from my own deconversion experience. They won't come out and say it, of course, but they'll use all the old arguments about intolerance and respect to make you feel and look like a bad person. I don't think they really want to know your opinions...it's more of a morbid curiosity on their part because they don't know what it's like not to believe.

I don't know if any of this made sense, I'm just thinking 'out loud'...but those are some of the things that have gone through my mind when I'm faced with things like this. It's really hard not to take their comments personally at times, especially if they resort to name-calling or slander. When that happens, I tend to lay low for a few days, get some advice from my atheist friends, and then I'm back in the game. But no matter how softly or gently you put it, any time you say something against religion, someone's feathers are going to get ruffled.
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

Renegnicat

I remember wanting to write an angry letter with plenty of expletives and hearty all-caps back when I was still a theist, so I can relate. It's pretty much how you say it, you're so entrenched in these ideas of yours, and then you have no response to this atheist who is kicking your butt in debate.

I got off on winning debates. The fact that I was losing really scared me, as I also believed in all that christian bs.  :shake:
[size=135]The best thing to do is reflect, understand, apreciate, and consider.[/size]

Ellainix

They more so disrespect us. Their entire religion is devoted to saving everyone from the wraith of their terrible god. Of course, they will try to convince you that Satan is the one they are saving you from. I don't remember reading any scripture in the Bible where Satan kills anyone or sends billions to hell.

I'm pretty lucky, considering that I was raised in a household where my parents almost forgot that religion existed. I feel sorrow for all my brothers and sisters in humanity that are born into the terrible wasteland of Christianity. I don't believe in evil because I'm Buddhist, but if something were evil, it would be their God.
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.