News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Why Do More Women Than Men Still Believe in God?

Started by Whitney, October 14, 2009, 07:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Quote from: "Ninteen45"How many women can give candy to children without being called perverts?

I wasn't aware that it was socially acceptable for anyone to give candy to random children (other than on Halloween; and gender doesn't appear to matter then).

Renegnicat

It is for old spanish-speaking immigrant grandfather types.  ;)

Especially close to the border.
[size=135]The best thing to do is reflect, understand, apreciate, and consider.[/size]

Jolly Sapper

Quote from: "Ninteen45"Honestly, You are only Physically oppressed.

How many women can give candy to children without being called perverts?

Now compare that to men.

And Now, For child fostering. Male to Female ratio? Now, Cout out the Goood parents. Male to female ratio?

Yeah, so true.  That's why men in the early 1900's who acted all lippy were given the medical diagnosis of "hysteria" and had their uterus's removed.  Oh wait....

SSY

I speak only for myself here, but i do not live in the early 1900s. Saying X used to happen to Women, therefor women are oppressed today, is a spurious argument.

Having said that, threads going in this direction don't seem to go down well here.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Ellainix

Quote from: "SSY"I speak only for myself here, but i do not live in the early 1900s. Saying X used to happen to Women, therefor women are oppressed today, is a spurious argument.

Having said that, threads going in this direction don't seem to go down well here.

I suppose you could look at what is meant by "oppressed". Men and Women at that time had specific social rights. Some women want the advantages normally associated with men. I assume you are saying that the associated rights appear balanced?
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

SSY

To the best of my knowledge, women today have at least as many rights as do men, that is to say nothing of how these rights are implemented or practiced in society at large.

I am not really sure what point you are trying to get at here.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it

karadan

At the London fashion week recently, a stylist had a big hissy fit and walked out because of the decision to include size 14 models. It turns out (apparently) the stylist was a woman-hating gay man. I personally prefer the look of a curvaceous woman to a size zero twiglet any day.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... -mark-fast

Fact: 1% or anorexic people are male.

There is a continuing row over the payments tennis players receive for competing and/or winning at the Wimbledon tennis tournament. Male players are still paid more than female ones. Also, have you seen the difference in size between the two trophies? :)

"Army rules forbid the deployment of women in operations where they would be expected to “close with and kill the enemy”. But senior officers said last night that all operations outside base camps could be regarded as on the front line."
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/p ... 168044.ece
I've heard the argument that if men saw a female soldier get wounded on the battlefield they would be more inclined toward battlefield hysteria than if the same happened to a male colleague. Is this based upon truth or is it used as an excuse for the continued inequality and/or sexism within the armed forces?

There is a continued issue in the UK with the rights of men over the children they have had with previous female partners. The majority still rule that the men lose out, sometimes completely, after divorce proceedings. I've heard of cases where the mother has been a drug addict. The father has had a stable job and ownership of a house but still has not been granted custody - even when the child involved has not wanted to live with the mother. There's still a blatant failure of the system to treat things on a case-by-case basis whilst excluding any social or gender prejudice.

As far as I'm concerned there is still no true equal rights in today's society. Even though we seem to strive for this, something holds us back.
Sorry if the above isn't anything to do with the OP but I just wanted to say a few things as this seems to be the direction this thread is going.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Ellainix

Quote from: "SSY"To the best of my knowledge, women today have at least as many rights as do men, that is to say nothing of how these rights are implemented or practiced in society at large.

Try wearing a dress in public.
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

SSY

Quote from: "Ellainix"
Quote from: "SSY"To the best of my knowledge, women today have at least as many rights as do men, that is to say nothing of how these rights are implemented or practiced in society at large.

Try wearing a dress in public.

Are you trying to debate or just be obtuse?

Carico

Quote from: "Whitney"
QuoteProfessors at Trinity College in Connecticut analyzed the numbers of Americans unaffiliated to any religion. While the number of male nonbelievers was rocketing, the overall totals were slowed by women hitching themselves to the anchor of faith: “Gender difference is a brake on the growth of the No Religion population,” says the study, which found that 19 percent of men were no longer denizens of a religious America, while only 12 percent of women live outside the faithful fold. In the past, one could say that women tended the hearth, and men participated in the marketplace. But today?

{snip}

Some researchers hypothesize that women are hardwired to believe because of evolutionary imperatives. Belief in Godâ€"or the Mount Olympus ensemble cast, or a phalanx of wood spirits, and so onâ€"has long been connected with tribal ritual, and formed the center of communities. Women relied on these communities for the survival of their children, while men were off spearing buffalo, pillaging neighboring settlementsâ€"or whatever the caveman business trip furnished. The relationship between belonging and belief is an ancient one. It may have resulted in the development of certain alleles connected to a sense of God, or at least a commitment to religion.

Why do atheists spend so much time discussing a God they deny exists?  :)

karadan

Quite simple really. People don't knock on my door telling me i will burn in hell if i don't believe in Darth Vader. People aren't continually discriminated against/lose their jobs/become social pariahs because they don't believe in Darth Vader. We don't get the ideology of Darth Vader forced down our throats on a daily basis and 'In darth Vader We Trust' is not on all the bank notes of the US. Children aren't mutilated and brainwashed and people aren't stoned to death in the name of Darth Vader.

If any of the above were to happen in the name of Darth Vader, you'd see a lot of forums such as HAF, discussing his non-existence.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

SSY

Quote from: "Carico"Why do atheists spend so much time discussing a God they deny exists?  :)

Full Text:  http://www.doublex.com/section/life/why ... elieve-god

Why do Christians spend so much time on Atheist forums? God has made us atheists, and we are happy that way. They don't spend as much time convincing vegans to eat cheese, or hanging out with communists, reading everything they say. Maybe they are trying to deny that they have doubt and are drawn to atheist websites in order to probe the inconstancies they see with their god?

For the record, I do care whether god exists, it is actually quite an important question. Not least because he seems to have an unstable and deeply hateful, violent personality, if you go by what the bible says.

LoneMateria

Quote from: "SSY"
Quote from: "Carico"Why do atheists spend so much time discussing a God they deny exists?  :)

Full Text:  http://www.doublex.com/section/life/why ... elieve-god

Why do Christians spend so much time on Atheist forums? God has made us atheists, and we are happy that way. They don't spend as much time convincing vegans to eat cheese, or hanging out with communists, reading everything they say. Maybe they are trying to deny that they have doubt and are drawn to atheist websites in order to probe the inconstancies they see with their god?

For the record, I do care whether god exists, it is actually quite an important question. Not least because he seems to have an unstable and deeply hateful, violent personality, if you go by what the bible says.

lol troll ownage.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Whitney

LoneMateria

Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl