News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

The gay ex-NBA player

Started by donkeyhoty, February 13, 2007, 07:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donkeyhoty

So, we've all heard about the former NBA player that announced he was gay recently.  And if you haven't, well, look it up, his name is John Amaechi.

What I've been disappointed with, but not surprised by, is the lack of discusion about religion affecting the attitudes about homosexuality in professional sports.

Many professional athletes are insanely religious and many others are just religious(not much of a difference, but it's there).  As we know, homosexuality is condemned by most religions.  Most sportswriters and other journalists know these things, but are failing to connect the dots.  They want the players to be tolerant of homosexuality, but that tolerance is in complete opposition to their beliefs.  Can one journalist say something about this?  Is that too much to ask?  I know most journalists are brainless, but seriously, one is all we need.

Along with the religion/anti-homo aspect there should be some discussion about how religion and team sports go hand-in-hand.  Both require the following:  blind allegiance to an authority figure, a collective goal and mindset, belief that you and your philosophy are better than another.

Also, I can only think of two atheist/agnostic pro athletes.  One, Robert Smith played for the Vikings and was pretty good.  The other is still in the NFL, I think, because I can't remember his name.  He is/was a lineman for either the Eagles or Jaguars or perhaps another team.  Does anyone know of any others?
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

brainshmain

I don't know if you heard, but after a gay NBA player came out, NBA athlete Tim Hardaway came out as a homophobe in a bigoted rant in an interview.  You can hear it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFP9rCnXR54

Big Mac

now everyone, don't get mad but that is the sound of freedom. His bigoted view shows us that freedom is a two-way street. I personally have no problem with gay people. If some asshole wants to mouth off about how he hates gays because he's a big, manly basketball player who handles big balls, gets sweaty with guys, rubs against them, and then winds it all down with a group shower, then he has all the right to do so. He's just a big manly bear who hates faggots.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

donkeyhoty

Quote from: "Big Mac"and then winds it all down with a group shower
Isn't that how all straight men cap off their "day at the gym"?

I don't really care that Tim Hardaway said he hates gay people, only that journalists refuse to identify the underlying reasons behind his beliefs.  They are giving religion a free pass.  

No one gets a free pass, unless you have big boobs, then it's ok.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

Big Mac

Big boobs and nice butt and legs.....and...and.....well I'll leave some to your imagination on that.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?