News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Problematic Code on Reddit

Started by Will, September 28, 2009, 03:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

If you, like me, are a fan of reddit, you may want to hold off for a bit. It seems there's some malicious script running around that's making things difficult.

I'll keep everyone apprised.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Whitney

Thanks for letting us know.  I do use reddit fairly frequently. I won't touch it till I know more.

Will

Update: absolutely, positively disable javascript if you decide to give it a shot. It's some kind of self-propagating javascript in the inbox system. All I know from reddit is "oh crap, we're working on it, spread the warning".

Update 2: Okay, if you go to your inbox without javascript disabled, the malicious javascript automatically changes your previous few comments to spread the malicious javascript. If anyone has already visited reddit and fallen victim, please disable javascript and go delete your changed comments.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Whitney

I think I'll just wait till they fix it....not worth the risk.

Will

Just got the okay from a friend that it's safe. Tested it, and everything's fine.

LoneMateria

You guys are going to hate me but wtf is reddit?
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Whitney

it's basically a social bookmarking site where you can share links but you can also make posts instead of posting a link.

Um...just look at it:  www.reddit.com  It's kinda hard to describe in words.

LoneMateria

okay, I would have went to the site but Will said there was a virus on it so I elected not to.  So its basically like a version of youtube only you share something different then videos, am I understanding this right?
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.

Will

It's not a virus, it's malicious Javascript. Javascript is a programming language people use. It communicates using a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols what your browser does and shows. This particular javascript would change your last comment to a compy of itself so that anyone that looks at your old comment would get the malicious javascript. It spread pretty quickly, but the admins and techs on reddit have it under control now.

LoneMateria

Quote from: "Will"It's not a virus, it's malicious Javascript. Javascript is a programming language people use. It communicates using a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols what your browser does and shows. This particular javascript would change your last comment to a compy of itself so that anyone that looks at your old comment would get the malicious javascript. It spread pretty quickly, but the admins and techs on reddit have it under control now.

Malicious code in any program is considered a virus.  Someone probably used a hook and injected that line of code into whatever they were using JavaScript for on that site.  (Its been a long time since I've used JavaScript, I used it back when I used HTML >.<, from what I know of ASP I think I like it more, probably because I can incorporate C# into my webpage.  But to run asp you need a windows server and most servers use Unix or Linux >.<)  Anyway glad the site is back up i'll look at it in a little bit.

Will

I always thought a virus was a malicious program, not just come script. Oh well.

The perpetrators have been sacked, and then the sackers have been sacked.

LoneMateria

Quote from: "Will"I always thought a virus was a malicious program, not just come script. Oh well.

The perpetrators have been sacked, and then the sackers have been sacked.

A virus is really just code that does something malicious.  You can break programs and insert viruses into them (Assembly languages work well for this incase you were wondering).  One of the dangers with stealing programs is that people will buy the program, crack it, and put a virus in it then distribute it free.  I remember that was bad when I used to use Kazaa and other P2P programs.  You never knew if the stolen program you get was going to screw up your computer even though it would work.  Anyway glad they caught them.  I'm gonna check out reddit in a minute ^_^