News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

How do you repsond to someone who is ignorant?

Started by AprilRose, September 26, 2009, 12:12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AprilRose

I asked a few questions in a religion and spirituality forum..
Why do some people have certain religious beliefs but don't know how to defend them?
Why would someone believe in their religion but not know the history or have not read the texts?

How do you respond to someone who is uneducated about your dis-beliefs/beliefs but then proceeds to stereotype you?
Not only on forums but in face to face conversation.

This person didn't read my question or information then insults other members by his stereotyping.

An example of a insulting answer:

"Sorry but your bringing up one isolated incident and projecting it over a whole group of people. . Most atheists dont even know that atheism contradicts the beliefs of 90% of atheists.
Most of them dont know that their doctrine is an absolute belief that god does not exist. Im christian and I know my beliefs, but christianity as well as other theist beliefs have an intrinsic factor that atheists cant possibly understand and that is faith and love. Love to an atheist is a chemical reaction and electric nerve impulses firing in a harmonic way. Atheists believe that basically we are machines that are incapable of being more then what our bodies and minds are.

As far as christians not defending themselves, thsi has been changing over the last 10 years. Look at the christian powerhouse debater doctor william lane craig who is absolutely humiliating atheists in debates everytime he steps onto the podium. Richard hawkins is so scared to debate him that he refused his challenge. Atheists are good at using intellect to bend the truth their way but when a truely knowledgable christian debater gets in there with them, they are crushed pretty easily.

Watch the youtube debate between Doctor craig and christopher the drunk hitchens on objective morality, and you will see how craig gets hitchens to even agree with him on it. For an atheist to agree with a christian on morality is one of the humiliating things his fellow atheists could watch.

At the end of the debate Doctor Craig even had atheists come up to him and shake his hand in the end of the video and call him awesome.
If dawkins does accept doctor craigs challenge to a debate atheism will go further down the toilet than it allready is.

As far as religion, I respect every religious persons beliefs . We arent supposed to judge each other. As far as atheism, I dont respect them at all because of atheists are vain, loud mouthed, rediculing and judgmental people. My first runin with one of these extreme neo-atheist is when they started spilling their mouth that we believe in an invisible man in teh sky. You can also see other examples of thsi disrespect with the rational response squad having a guy dressed as jesus and putting his face in between the breasts of 2 big breasted women. These kinds of people are scum and are actually going to get more christians and other religious people starting to read and gain knowledge about their religions. By their stupidity they are causing religion to grow again, and I say THANK GOD FOR MOST OF THESE IDIOT LOUD MOUTHED ATHEISTS.
god is working through them to make all theists more knowledgable in their belief."

** I asked my original question because someone was telling me about their religion which is Christianity but then told me that they hadn't read the whole bible.

Will

My response would read something like this:
QuoteSorry but your bringing up one isolated incident and projecting it over a whole group of people. . Most atheists dont even know that atheism contradicts the beliefs of 90% of atheists.
Can you demonstrate this by citing a specific and independent study? If not, what makes you think you're qualified to make such a bold (and patently false) statement? Are you not used to people questioning what you say? Atheists sure are. I'm quite comfortable with and capable of backing up everything I say. Perhaps there's something to read into there.
QuoteMost of them dont know that their doctrine is an absolute belief that god does not exist. Im christian and I know my beliefs, but christianity as well as other theist beliefs have an intrinsic factor that atheists cant possibly understand and that is faith and love. Love to an atheist is a chemical reaction and electric nerve impulses firing in a harmonic way. Atheists believe that basically we are machines that are incapable of being more then what our bodies and minds are.
Most atheists disbelieve the existence of god or gods, much the same way you undoubtedly disbelieve in the existence of the Easter Bunny or Thor. It's not an active belief but rather a position of being unconvinced.

As for love, prove to me that you love someone and then prove to me using the same definition that I don't love my girlfriend, my family, my dog, and my friends. If you can do that, I can prove your definition is incorrect.
QuoteAs far as christians not defending themselves, thsi has been changing over the last 10 years. Look at the christian powerhouse debater doctor william lane craig who is absolutely humiliating atheists in debates everytime he steps onto the podium. Richard hawkins is so scared to debate him that he refused his challenge. Atheists are good at using intellect to bend the truth their way but when a truely knowledgable christian debater gets in there with them, they are crushed pretty easily.
Dr. Craig lost his debate with Hitchens. I could beat him and I've never been involved in a professional debate. If you'd like proof, I would be glad to engage him at the time of his choosing. And I don't even have an advanced degree in science.
QuoteWatch the youtube debate between Doctor craig and christopher the drunk hitchens on objective morality, and you will see how craig gets hitchens to even agree with him on it. For an atheist to agree with a christian on morality is one of the humiliating things his fellow atheists could watch.
You didn't understand what you were watching. If you'd like, I can carefully and completely explain where morality comes from and not mention religion or gods once.
QuoteAt the end of the debate Doctor Craig even had atheists come up to him and shake his hand in the end of the video and call him awesome.
If dawkins does accept doctor craigs challenge to a debate atheism will go further down the toilet than it allready is.
I've shook the hands of many theists, and they mine. I can respect a person without agreeing with them. After your personal attack against Christopher Hitchens (the drunk comment), I'm afraid I won't be shaking yours.
QuoteAs far as religion, I respect every religious persons beliefs . We arent supposed to judge each other. As far as atheism, I dont respect them at all because of atheists are vain, loud mouthed, rediculing and judgmental people. My first runin with one of these extreme neo-atheist is when they started spilling their mouth that we believe in an invisible man in teh sky. You can also see other examples of thsi disrespect with the rational response squad having a guy dressed as jesus and putting his face in between the breasts of 2 big breasted women. These kinds of people are scum and are actually going to get more christians and other religious people starting to read and gain knowledge about their religions. By their stupidity they are causing religion to grow again, and I say THANK GOD FOR MOST OF THESE IDIOT LOUD MOUTHED ATHEISTS.
god is working through them to make all theists more knowledgable in their belief.
How ironic to be called loud mouthed by someone that uses all caps on the internet.

I'm not really bothered that you don't respect atheists because by your incorrect definition, I wouldn't be one of those atheists you seem dead set against. It's unfortunate that you've chosen to be vitriolic instead of being honestly interested in discussion, but that's your decision. If I may offer you a bit of advice, in the future you may want to familiarize yourself with the things you choose to rally against before going off on rants against them. Had you done your homework regarding atheism, this would likely have been a much different dialogue.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

LoneMateria

I'd leave a once sentence response.  Are you joking or just retarded?  If this isn't a joke logic won't be useful.  You can cite how she is fractaly wrong (wrong at every conceivable point) but it won't do you any good.  If its a forum I doubt you will get in trouble since she started flaming.  Good luck putting up with that much stupid don't let it rub off ^_^
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Renegnicat

By attempting to educate someone, you've allready made the first mistake. A person won't learn anything unless they want to learn something. I've had experience with that.

But I'd probably say something along the lines of, "suk mai plums, jee-bus is GAY.", to ensure that I would be banned from the forum.
[size=135]The best thing to do is reflect, understand, apreciate, and consider.[/size]

ragarth

The fellow is ignorant, delusional about said ignorance, and proud of said delusion. There's no debating, no educating this fellow. Me response would have been:

"Perhaps you should stop telling me what I think, you're doing a very bad job of it."
Then set them ignore.

Just to be a jerk I might make some lengthy spiel about the categorical error- Christian is not equivalent to atheist, etc., but really, that would be only to educate other readers, not the moron. I really do grow tired of this false comparison between Christianity and atheism, it's like comparing apple to fruit, then saying apples are better because they have a particular flavor.