News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

National Health Care

Started by Sophus, September 10, 2009, 11:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultima22689

Quote from: "Big Mac"
Quote from: "iNow"
Quote from: "andrewclunn"now all you have to do is be alive to be taxed "for your own good."
Read more closely.  You only pay if you can afford it, and by every logical evaluation, the benefits of doing so FAR outweigh the costs.

The problem with that is the government and its bureaucracy tends to judge a lot of people of capable of paying their way. For example I do not qualify for FASFA because my mother makes 60K+ a year after working her ass off and getting a master's and getting a job as a school counselor. She does help pay for my college but I do not qualify for a dime of government aid so I have to work full time and go to school full time as well.

I cannot afford the cost of health insurance at this time. It would literally drain me of my small amount of emergency/fun money.

It's almost as if you are penalized for being responsible and actually having ambition in your life. It's total bullshit.

This is very true but there are a few congressmen who are making a major push to have a lot of the bureaucracy cleaned up and it looks like they'll be having their way starting with the criminal system.

LoneMateria

Something I didn't know was going on.  Apparently religion was being slipped into the Health Care Reform Bill but was taken out.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-2044-Atheism-Examiner~y2009m10d29-House-excludes-spiritual-care-from-Health-Care-Reform-bill
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

AlP

Breaking news:
QuoteWASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- The U.S. House on Saturday passed landmark health overhaul legislation that would extend insurance coverage to 36 million Americans now lacking it, taking a crucial step toward realizing President Barack Obama's top legislative priority. The bill passed by a 220-215 vote. Rep. Joseph Cao, (R, La.), was the lone Republican supporting the bill.

The bill's passage, which came after exhaustive negotiations within the Democratic ranks, was assured only hours before the vote took place. It is the first bill of its kind--a broad-ranging measure aimed at revamping the modern U.S. health sector and moving the nation toward universal health coverage--that has passed the House or the Senate.

Interesting:
QuoteHouse Democrats on Friday had appeared to embrace language offered by Rep. Brad Ellsworth, (D, Ind.), that would clarify that the federal government would not pay for abortion coverage. But the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops indicated that they would not support the bill without stronger language barring federal funding of abortions, which hardened the position of the pro-life lawmakers.

"We thought that we'd met the expectations of those who were against abortion coverage," said House Energy and Commerce Chairman Henry Waxman, (D, Calif.). " The [Conference of Catholic Bishops] disagreed with that and looked at it in a different way, and that was a very difficult issue to resolve."

Link

Edit:
Text of bill
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Will

220 to 215, with 29 Democrats voting against (some because they're in conservative districts, others because they hated the watered-down public option instead of a single-payer universal system) and one lone brave Republican voting for.

The bill as it exists now is hardly a progressive dream, and it does include mandating healthcare coverage, but it's not bad. I'm going to call this a victory for the moment. We'll see how the Senate deals with this.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Ultima22689

Excellent, it's not perfect but maybe I'll be able to go to the doctor soon for that much needed check up I haven't had in two years. It'll be devastating for the republicans if this bill passes and turns out to be an overwhelming success.

Big Mac

Nothing was ever here....got it?
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Ultima22689

Quote from: "Big Mac"We are so screwed if this shit passes. You think it's awesome now but think about the cost and application of it. TO keep it afloat they would have to kill off people. Fuck the government run healthcare. Other countries who have had it have dead babies and old people. Coincidence, I think not. AMERICA RULES, REST OF THE WORLD DROOLS!! LUYLZ!!

Say what? Links plox? No one is going to be killed off to support this plan.

LoneMateria

Quote from: "Big Mac"We are so screwed if this shit passes. You think it's awesome now but think about the cost and application of it. TO keep it afloat they would have to kill off people. Fuck the government run healthcare. Other countries who have had it have dead babies and old people. Coincidence, I think not. AMERICA RULES, REST OF THE WORLD DROOLS!! LUYLZ!!

Is this a serious post?
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.

Whitney

Quote from: "LoneMateria"

Is this a serious post?

I'm going to give Big Mac the benefit of doubt and go with NO....

Big Mac

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "LoneMateria"

Is this a serious post?

I'm going to give Big Mac the benefit of doubt and go with NO....

Whoopsie there..... didn't realize this even posted!!!! Allow me to uh...yeah.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

prestonwatson

Hi Sophus,
I would really like to vote for National Health Care. You can say that I am a fan of President. As I am from England, I don't have any particular idea about this. I want to know for what this plan is made for and why the voting is going on. I hope you will provide me the detail information. Hope to read from your soon. Thanks.

Sophus

Hi Preston,

There has been a lot of distortion of the plan from the Republican party, although I'm sure Democrats aren't completely innocent of it either. It's also undergone a number of revisions. Many people are afraid they will be forced into the plan although it's only a public option for those who do not have Health Care. My largest concern is paying for it, especially when America is already in such an awful economic situation. There was a proposal of a new "Estate Tax" which would basically take about half of the money from %2 of the wealthiest dead people. There's also talk about taxing medical items more than $100. The taxes are there for the companies that make up the medical industry. With Health Care reform they will benefit so much that they have already agreed to pay $80 billion toward health care reform. Cuts in MediCare will probably be made to pay for the new plan, although the size of it has been largely exaggerated by those opposing the change.

So, it's a sticky issue. It's difficult to know who's being more truthful. There's more on the actual plan here: http://edlabor.house.gov/blog/2009/10/affordable-health-care.shtml
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

LoneMateria

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/12/18/MNTL1B607U.DTL

Apparently Christian scientists are now lobbying to make the government pay for their "healers" to pray over sick people.  Those people are a fucking joke.