News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Writers Block

Started by quizlixx, August 23, 2009, 02:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quizlixx

I have been suffering from writers block for the past week, any suggestions or tips to get those brain gears moving or that creative juice flowing?
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

curiosityandthecat

Write. It doesn't matter what, if it makes sense, or if it's even good. Just write. It oils the parts, as it were.
-Curio

Whitney

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Write. It doesn't matter what, if it makes sense, or if it's even good. Just write. It oils the parts, as it were.

Agreed, I do the same thing with design.  I almost always have a block when starting a project, so I just throw together whatever comes to mind.  It may look like crap at times but it gets the gears moving in the right direction.

AlP

I do the same when I get stuck while programming. If in doubt, just do it! =) How did people manage before software and the edit-undo command?
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Kylyssa

Whenever I have writer's block, I switch subjects for say, an hour or so, and then get back to writing what I'm supposed to be writing.  If I'm still blocked, I make myself a cup of tea and write something else unrelated or maybe come to HA and post stuff on the boards.  By the time my tea is gone, I'm usually ready to write what I'm supposed to.

If I can't write anything real - like for a client - I write an article or two about something I want to write about.  For instance, right now I'm blocked on a script I'm supposed to write for a client.  So between visiting some forums, I'm writing an editorial about what it's like to have Asperger's.  While I won't be able to sell that piece I'll put it up somewhere like Squidoo and collect a few dollars a month from it.

You can see some of my writer's block pieces through the links in my signature.

HandsandDreams

Quote from: "Kylyssa"Whenever I have writer's block, I switch subjects for say, an hour or so, and then get back to writing what I'm supposed to be writing. If I'm still blocked, I make myself a cup of tea and write something else unrelated or maybe come to HA and post stuff on the boards. By the time my tea is gone, I'm usually ready to write what I'm supposed to.

I think that's great advice.  I'd add that taking a walk, running an errand, cooking, or some other unrelated activity usually helps me shake things up a bit.  Once I get back to writing, I'm usually ready to go.

I also use journalling to help me sort out my thoughts and feelings when need be.  I start writing without any objective in mind except to explain what's on my mind, and it eventually clarifies anything I'm confused about.

Finally, if you've got a subject matter in mind, I'd recommend mapping; you know, write the subject in a bubble on a sheet of paper, and draw lines to more bubbles with related thoughts as they come.  This helps me clarify the important notes I need to touch on in my writing.

Hope that helps.  Good Luck!

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "GJenkinsXoXo"There is no such thing as writers block.
Even if you plan your writing thoroughly, you still have to make many connections between sentences, and even words, to make it good.  This is a subconscious process, so any mental block will definitely hinder it.

QuoteHere, I wrote a blog on swords

Ooo, that is VERY advanced spam.

Kudos.  Your site should rank slightly higher in the searches now.

Good luck with your swords, both fake and real.

Sophus

Writer's block means you're thinking too much. Relaxing with you work, as Curio suggested, should help. Good creativity comes from an overflow of energy. Any stress from the writer's block could feed itself, creating loop.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

buttercupbaby

Stop trying so hard.  Take a break.  Get drunk, instead.
If we evolved from a lower life form, why are there still  creationists?  

Whitney

Quote from: "Heretical Rants"Kudos.  Your site should rank slightly higher in the searches now.

Aww...too bad I just deleted the post.

Heretical Rants

ooo, I'd better remove the link, too, then.

It now goes to:http://www.**********.com/

Ninteen45

Quote from: "Kylyssa"I'm writing an editorial about what it's like to have Asperger's.

I could write a book on it. Well, type a book. I've never written much, and I'm crap at maths but i'm in one of the top classes for physics and chemistry.

On the plus side, I never get writer's block! I get typer's block. Actually I don't get either.  I could write a book on a person thinking of hydrogen. Actually I might. It may be fun!

Enough of those jokes. Umm, who is your client, by the way? i'm hoping you aren't working for any of those "Helpful at first but we'll twist your words to bring the second coming of all powerful hitler" people. I've seen it happen in so many ways too many times.
Now I can be re-gognizod!

Kylyssa

Quote from: "Ninteen45"Enough of those jokes. Umm, who is your client, by the way? i'm hoping you aren't working for any of those "Helpful at first but we'll twist your words to bring the second coming of all powerful hitler" people. I've seen it happen in so many ways too many times.

I have a fair number of clients, mostly just people that want intelligent (ghost) writing for their business websites, scripts for short videos or commercials, (ghost) content for pay to enter erotica sites, or a little custom erotica to share with a friend.  Who they are changes on a frequent basis.  I also submit to magazines but that's almost like playing the lottery.  Writing to spec is steadier.

My client (when I wrote that post) needed a few scripts with some cat fight action and I just wasn't feeling it at the time.  I wrote the pieces but probably won't do any more for that client.  I like my naughty bits to be nice, not mean, and it shows in my writing.  The client was satisfied but I wasn't.  I can usually whack off (pun intended) an erotic script like its nobody's business but those scripts took me way longer than they should have.