News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

A Chance to Be Heard

Started by braxhunt, August 19, 2009, 08:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

braxhunt

Hi, I am a Christian apologist and was attracted to this forum because I like (and applaud you for) the idea of being positive about your worldview rather than angry. I am looking for individuals who would be willing to have a friendly and respectful Email debate regarding the existence/nonexistence of God, Divinity/historicity of Jesus Christ or some other subject.

It would, after completion, be posted on my website unchanged. Anyone is welcome to respond.

Will

Welcome to the forum. I'm not personally interested in an email debate, but I'd be really happy to engage you in polite discussion here on the forum. Are there any particular topics you'd like to discuss?
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

rlrose328

Ya know, the majority of atheists are not angry, but thanks for the backhanded compliment.   :D
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

jbeukema

braxhunt

It really wasn't intended as a backhanded compliment. There are a lot of Christians and atheists who just leave unkind statements made with such glib certainty on many sites. I was genuinely complimenting the unique intent of this forum. However, I apologize if it did sound like I was damning you with faint praise. It was not my desire.

Thom Phelps

Quote from: "braxhunt"I am looking for individuals who would be willing to have a friendly and respectful Email debate regarding the existence/nonexistence of God, Divinity/historicity of Jesus Christ or some other subject.

It would, after completion, be posted on my website unchanged. Anyone is welcome to respond.

That debate always boils down to a fundamental difference that can't be resolved. What I would like to see you do is have a Catholic, a Southern Baptist, and a member of the LDS debate you about the validity of their denominations. What might the list of topic questions look like, anybody?    ;)

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "braxhunt"It really wasn't intended as a backhanded compliment. There are a lot of Christians and atheists who just leave unkind statements made with such glib certainty on many sites. I was genuinely complimenting the unique intent of this forum. However, I apologize if it did sound like I was damning you with faint praise. It was not my desire.
Part of the problem is the nature of the internet. Anonymity breeds open and careless hostility. People will say and do things on the net that they would never even consider in person. Much of what atheists do that Christians see as unkind are really just generalized reactions to specific events. It's important to look at it from a sociological point of view: what atheists are going through right now is much like what women went through, then what African Americans went through, then what the gay community has been going through. It's a push for equality, the desire to have a voice, the abandonment of the historical fear to be ourselves in open view. I truly believe that if more Christians understood the atheist movement in those terms, they would be at least a little more understanding.

I actually just posted a link to a little story about a couple Christians who tried being atheists for a day. It's rather enlightening. Sounds like a good idea for a book, really.
-Curio

braxhunt

Well, I guess all I can say is I gave it my best shot. I still am very interested in finding individuals who would be willing to have an email debate. I wanted it to be friendly and academic that is why I came to this forum. Nevertheless, I find that while no one here is being as aggressive as Christians and atheists are on other sites, some of you seem to be a bit touchy (which would be warranted if I had said anything negative, but all I have done is be respectful). I have atheist friends and we have preached at eachother quite often, so as much as I appreciate the advice it is not necessary. As for the poster who asked about debates within Christian communities, these are had quite regularly.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "braxhunt"Well, I guess all I can say is I gave it my best shot. I still am very interested in finding individuals who would be willing to have an email debate. I wanted it to be friendly and academic that is why I came to this forum. Nevertheless, I find that while no one here is being as aggressive as Christians and atheists are on other sites, some of you seem to be a bit touchy (which would be warranted if I had said anything negative, but all I have done is be respectful). I have atheist friends and we have preached at eachother quite often, so as much as I appreciate the advice it is not necessary. As for the poster who asked about debates within Christian communities, these are had quite regularly.
I disagree that some of us are touchy. We're just more keenly aware of the hegemonic presuppositions made my theists.
-Curio

PipeBox

I was hoping someone else would oblige.  I'm no expert on the historicity of Jesus and I'm probably one of the few people here who doesn't know the Bible as well as you, but I'm familiar with the philosophical arguments against your god, and I know a bit of the problems with Jesus (like the lack of contemporary mention of him).  I'll PM you my email and you can respond if you think I offer good enough latitude.  You may want to read some of my posts on this forum before you make that choice.
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

Will

Why an email debate instead of a forum debate? If I ask people nicely to allow you and one other person to have a thread to debate in, people would probably be fine holding off until it's done before commenting.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

hismikeness

Quote from: "Will"Why an email debate instead of a forum debate? If I ask people nicely to allow you and one other person to have a thread to debate in, people would probably be fine holding off until it's done before commenting.

I would agree to that. It would be an interesting read.

I don't want to risk my email because of the spam issue... it's not that I don't trust you to keep my email safe, it's that I have worked hard to funnel all spam to one account and use the other strictly for email. Plus, my work email is monitored, and my boss is Christian, and I'm not quite "out" at work yet. I would honor you request to stay away from posting a person to person thread.

Hismikeness  :)
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

braxhunt

I appreciate the response. And once again I apologize for anything I have said in the above posts that may have sounded insulting.  It was not my intent, but that is the nature of text discussion. Sometimes things are misunderstood because tone and inflection can not be heard. I have recieved an email address from oe of you and am excited about the debate we will have. I also would be open to the idea of a public debate on this forum in a thread created for that purpose between myself and one other individual. Great Idea! Whoever would be willing to do that just PM me so we can decide how it will work. Thank you so much (everyone) for taking this post seriously.

Kylyssa

Quote from: "hismikeness"
Quote from: "Will"Why an email debate instead of a forum debate? If I ask people nicely to allow you and one other person to have a thread to debate in, people would probably be fine holding off until it's done before commenting.

I would agree to that. It would be an interesting read.

I don't want to risk my email because of the spam issue... it's not that I don't trust you to keep my email safe, it's that I have worked hard to funnel all spam to one account and use the other strictly for email. Plus, my work email is monitored, and my boss is Christian, and I'm not quite "out" at work yet. I would honor you request to stay away from posting a person to person thread.

Hismikeness  :)

A lot of people don't understand how an email can be connected to a real-life identity - and they don't understand that giving out your email and admitting your atheism could jeopardize your job and safety in many situations.  I can understand why people wouldn't think of this, it's crazy that people would hurt or fire a person for being an atheist so no reasonable person would think of that unless they'd heard of it.

braxhunt

I am sensitive to that. I would hate for anyone to be negatively affected because of this. For this reason I happily accept the invitation to debate on this, or any other site. However, if someone does want to I would like it if we could use first names in our posts (even if it is a pen-name). I look forward to any takers. I will be respectful at best and cordial at least.