News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Good free software

Started by AlP, August 15, 2009, 05:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForTheLoveOfAll

Ah, good man! Thank you for these.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

DirtyLeo

PCs are so old style :D we should open a thread for smartphones:

"Good free Android and iOS (iPod, iPhone & iPad) Apps"
Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie
* "Often, the last thing men believe is the truth."
* "Right y'are! I must be the stupidest bastard in the Circle of the World, er? It's a wonder I can hold my own shit in without paying mind to my arse every minute."
Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay
* "We

The Magic Pudding

fester30

7zip for rar files
Daemon Tools for iso disk image files
Bit Torrent in case I want to find more free things (of course not for pirated software, I'm not a criminal)
There's an add-on for browsers called Adblock Plus.  I like it.
I have AVG and I found out that the problems 2011 caused me were all related to the ID theft protection.  Sometimes it runs on hyperdrive in the background hogging resources.  I turned it off and it works great now.
Along with AVG for virus protection and scanning, I have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.  It's a great program for anything that gets through your virus software.  Just open, update, and quickscan, and gets rid of anything attacking your AVG, Norton, McAfee, etc.  Then uninstall it and wait for the next problem.

I didn't like VLC UI so I use Media Player Classic.  Seems to do the job for me so long as my codecs are updated.

If you have an older, slower computer, I definitely recommend OpenOffice over Microsoft Office.  Takes some getting used to at first.  Microsoft Office 2007 slows down your computer even when you don't have any of its components open.  When I switched from Open Office to MS Office and back on my old crappy computer I noticed a definite difference.

joeactor

... if you're on Android, there's the new Amazon App Store - they feature a different free app daily.
Not sure how long that'll last, but it's worth a download...

Whitney

Fitness phone app:  Adidas miCoach
audibly announces when to run slower/faster etc based on either heart rate or pace; can integrate with playlists.

http://www.adidas.com/us/micoach/#

(their website has been having some issues lately but it doesn't affect the app)

Tom62

From the Mac App Store:

Caffeine - a small utility that prevents your Mac from going to sleep and displaying the screen saver (great if you are watching a long video on YouTube)
TouchFly - a very addictive and funny game
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

missedtheboat

Sorry if this has already been posted! There is a really awesome website http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ that is pretty self explanatory! Free software daily, sometimes its really crappy stuff, but if you check everyday there is usually something good that pops up every now and then :)

curiosityandthecat

Gizmodo.com has a monthly "Best Of" list of apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Windows 7 phones. They're mostly free, and the ones that aren't are easily replaceable with ones that are with a little Google-Fu.

http://gizmodo.com/#!5787471/the-new-essential-apps-march-2011-iphone-android-ipad-and-windows-phone
-Curio

Cecilie

The world's what you create.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Cecilie"^ Uh oh.

Reported a bit ago. Just ignore. :)
-Curio

Tom62

DirSync Pro - keeps folders/directories in sync. Written in Java, so it runs on any PC.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

joeactor

Quote from: "Tom62"DirSync Pro - keeps folders/directories in sync. Written in Java, so it runs on any PC.

I've been using SyncToy for that - also free...

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "joeactor"
Quote from: "Tom62"DirSync Pro - keeps folders/directories in sync. Written in Java, so it runs on any PC.

I've been using SyncToy for that - also free...

Check out Syncless. Uses tags to sync rather than just folders and has include/exclude filters. Also runs constantly in the background in "seamless" mode. I combine it with Dropbox for some really easy, powerful backup and organization.
-Curio

original_gender

Macromaker and Textcrawler – especially if you do any data entry work.