News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What do atheists claim to know nothing about?

Started by Yrreg, August 13, 2009, 11:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Fyi everyone, Yrreg is on a one week ban for disregarding previous moderator requests.

iNow

Quote from: "Yrreg"Perhaps one day those religious peoples killed in atheist-communist regimes will take a poll, I mean their countrymen, to find out why they were killed: for being religious or because of wrong politics.
Truth is not determined by popular opinion, and regardless of what such a poll might show, the reason for their being killed does not root itself in the rejection of theism... aka atheism.  You can repeat your false assertion all you want, but repetition alone does not validate ones argument.

Recusant

Quote from: "Yrreg"Perhaps one day those religious peoples killed in atheist-communist regimes will take a poll, I mean their countrymen, to find out why they were killed: for being religious or because of wrong politics.

History is not written via polls, it's written by historians with various agendas.  So it's actually possible to find historians who will agree with your interpretation of the motivation behind the destruction of churches and imprisonment and execution of religious leaders in Communist countries.  They are exclusively Christian historians, who want to portray events in a particular light.  I'm not sure what credentials they might have, but I found at least some writing that followed that line.

1) It fulfills the prophecy that believers in Jesus will be persecuted for their beliefs.
2) It's convenient to portray atheism as violently anti-Christian, and thus attempt to draw attention away from the undeniable history of violence motivated (partly or wholly) by Christianity.

If one believes that all atheists are under the influence of Satan (and that does seem to be a sub-text of several of your questions here, correct me if I'm wrong) then of course they want to attack Christian churches simply because they are at war with the Christian god.  Why then, would they want to attack (for instance) Buddhist monks and temples? I mean, being non-Christians, Buddhists are at least deluded by Satan, and therefore should be in league with atheists.
  The simple fact is that a totalitarian regime will not countenance any competition when it comes to controlling the population.  Although it's rarely or never self-acknowledged, religion is to a great extent a means of controlling people, and thus is in direct competition with any regime that does not co-opt it.  Did the Bolsheviks and Stalin purge and imprison/murder Mensheviks (those who were unlucky or foolish enough not to emigrate) because of religion?  No, they were seen as competition, and therefore had to be eliminated.

(I was writing this post and did not see the two previous until after I submitted it, but I figured, "what the heck," so here it is anyway.)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Arctonyx

Yrreg

Then we can take a poll as to whether penicillin works, or to whether being shot is painful, or to whether ducks can swim.
This situation requires a special mix of psychology, and extreme violence! - The Young Ones

Ellainix

Quote from: "Yrreg"please tell me on what questions do you claim to know nothing about.

I guess this is like saying "Atheists sure do know alot!"

And that's why we don't believe in God.
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

Renegnicat

Shoot did I miss the party?

Hold on! I brought some Kahlua! Don't go... :drool
[size=135]The best thing to do is reflect, understand, apreciate, and consider.[/size]