News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

School Prayer

Started by BadPoison, August 07, 2009, 07:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadPoison

I received a chain email today from my uncle. It's filled with lies and propoganda fueling the supposed 'war on Christianity' us secularists are waging. It really upsets me to read how ignorant and uninformed people respond to such BS

Here is the email:

QuoteWRITTEN BY A 15 yr. Old SCHOOL KID IN   ARIZONA  

New Pledge of Allegiance (TOTALLY AWESOME) !

Since the Pledge of Allegiance

And The Lord's Prayer

Are not allowed in most Public schools anymore

Because the word 'God' is mentioned....

A kid in   Arizona    wrote the attached

NEW School prayer :

Now I sit me down in school

Where praying is against the rule

For this great nation under God

Finds mention of Him very odd.

If Scripture now the class recites,

It violates the Bill of Rights.

And anytime my head I bow

Becomes a Federal matter now.

Our hair can be purple, orange or green,

That's no offense; it's a freedom scene.

The law is specific, the law is precise.

Prayers spoken aloud are a serious vice.

For praying in a public hall

Might offend someone with no faith at all.

In silence alone we must meditate,

God's name is prohibited by the state.

We're allowed to cuss and dress like freaks,

And pierce our noses, tongues and cheeks.

They've outlawed guns, but FIRST the Bible.

To quote the Good Book makes me liable.

We can elect a pregnant Senior Queen,

And the 'unwed daddy,' our Senior King

It's 'inappropriate' to teach right from wrong,

We're taught that such 'judgments' do not belong.

We can get our condoms and birth controls,

Study witchcraft, vampires and totem poles.

But the Ten Commandments are not allowed,

No word of God must reach this crowd..

It's scary here I must confess,

When chaos reigns the school's a mess.

So, Lord, this silent plea I make:

Should I be shot; My soul please take!

Amen

Whitney

Sigh...this is what happens when you jump on the believers in the evil atheist conspiracy bandwagon without understanding what the law really says.

The kids can pray in school all they want.  The pledge still says under god and is recited in all classrooms that I know of (the kids just aren't legally required to stand or say all or part of it) The only thing not allowed is the teacher or other school representative leading the kids in prayer or otherwise preaching as part of a school sponsored event.

Are you going to reply to your uncle?

BadPoison

Probably not. There wouldn't be much point. Unfortunately, he's convinced that his life has been changed since he found christ, and is unwilling to see any other viewpoints. He gets so happy when he gets emails of this nature, regardless of it being loaded with false information. Also, he has some severe health problems, and likely won't be with us much longer. Posting it here, instead of pointing out the plethora of erroneous statements in a catty reply is probably for the best.

And I hope everyone has been doing well! I haven't checked in for a bit  :beer:

curiosityandthecat

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/newprayer.asp

This is what our country has become. People are more inclined to believe charismatic emails than do any damn research themselves. Pathetic.

It's no different from the Obama-Muslim emails or those emails you get with all the pictures of the babies with funny faces. Stupid shit for simple people to do when they're sitting at their computers at work pretending to be earning their salary. If ever I get one of these emails I first add the sender to my kill file, and then reply to all with a breakdown of all the things wrong with it. Makes the sender look like an idiot (I hope) and makes sure that I get taken out of all those peoples' address books. Snopes comes in really handy with that sort of thing.

I don't get those kind of emails any more, really.  :D
-Curio

Big Mac

Hey guys,

Long time no see, I know. Had a lot of stuff fall on my lap and I sort of had to grow up a lot faster (lulz) but anyway I'm back and a lot calmer.

I grind my teeth when I hear this one. I have a coworker who is a Christian (great guy though, I enjoy working with him) and has said this but he's not so psycho he doesn't listen to reason. I explained to him that actual law and he didn't agree with it but figured it's not as bad as he thought.

Funny thing is his brother "came out" as an Atheist and he said that scared him. He knows I'm a heathen and we have (limited) convos about the subject. Perhaps we as a group should be a little less aggressive, eh? It tends to turn off people of faith.

The one thing that really grates me is the whole "When they took prayer out of schools, America became a decadent whore..." type of rant. I look up at the sky and say "If you're actually up there, why do you give me this shit?!?"

Ugh. I just noticed the gun ban reference. I hate it how these morons get all gun owners painted as religious whackos.

I just noticed the irony that this is alleged to have come out of Bagdad, AZ. That place has the same name (sort of, spelling off by mistake) as that place full of evil towel-head ayrab muslims....OH NOES!!!
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Tom62

Welcome back, Big Mac  :bananacolor: .
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein