News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Teen Here Requiring Girl/Prom Advice

Started by Godless, May 18, 2009, 11:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

I think you should also kinda prepare yourself for the idea that she never had any intention of having a long term relationship right now.  She is apparently very focused on college since she went to a boring orientation instead of a party.  It will also be hard to maintain a friendship, let alone a romantic relationship, if you are not going to the same college.

In addition to the "that guy" advice (which is very good advice) make sure you don't only talk about Sydney to Megan...you'll end up annoying Megan to the point she doesn't want to be around you anymore (esp if Megan secretly likes you).  You know how the 'cool' guys on tv pretend they are not excited about the girl they like...try a bit of that (but not so much that you appear to be a heartless jerk).

Godless

I'm a little relieved because I tried calling her cell on my home phone and the same thing happens as when I call her on my cell phone so I don't think she's gotten a new cell phone yet, which means that she probably isn't actually ignoring me. One other thing, my friend has the school directory with everyone's home phone number... I got her home phone from the school directory... now would it be creepy if I called her house under that circumstance?

BadPoison

At some point you have to decide what would have to happen for you to move on. Maybe for you that means calling her home phone number and seeing what happens. Whitney brought up an excellent point that she is probably not looking for a serious relationship right now. She could be distancing herself so that the inevitable good-bye isn't as hard.

My advice: If you think you'll regret not calling her later on, or if you think calling her might help you move on then by all means. Just don't expect a phone call to change the very real fact that each of you are going separate directions. Don't be too sad about that either - it might sound cliche, but you'll be meeting so many new girls at college you'll have trouble sorting them all out.

Just do whatever you feel you have to do. I wish you the best of luck. :catjuggle:

Godless

Quote from: "BadPoison"At some point you have to decide what would have to happen for you to move on. Maybe for you that means calling her home phone number and seeing what happens. Whitney brought up an excellent point that she is probably not looking for a serious relationship right now. She could be distancing herself so that the inevitable good-bye isn't as hard.

My advice: If you think you'll regret not calling her later on, or if you think calling her might help you move on then by all means. Just don't expect a phone call to change the very real fact that each of you are going separate directions. Don't be too sad about that either - it might sound cliche, but you'll be meeting so many new girls at college you'll have trouble sorting them all out.

Just do whatever you feel you have to do. I wish you the best of luck. :catjuggle:

Sydney was pretty much the only girl I ever liked from my high school and I really don't want to give up that easily. I'll only give up if it's obvious that she doesn't like me or isn't into me. Besides, I've heard of people having long distance relationships in college and getting married later on with the same person. Yes, there are about ten times more people at Virginia Tech, my college, but that doesn't even mean I'll meet a tenth of those people and on top of that, I may not even find a girl that I like.

BadPoison

Quote from: "Godless"
Quote from: "BadPoison"At some point you have to decide what would have to happen for you to move on. Maybe for you that means calling her home phone number and seeing what happens. Whitney brought up an excellent point that she is probably not looking for a serious relationship right now. She could be distancing herself so that the inevitable good-bye isn't as hard.

Just do whatever you feel you have to do. I wish you the best of luck. :lick:
In reality though, I had no idea what I wanted out of life, much less what I wanted out of a relationship. I was young and silly. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being young and silly - it's part of life - and for many of us, we never give it up  :cool:

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "BadPoison"You might not. You might.

When I had just turned 18 and graduated high school I met Alyssa. We dated for June and July that summer, and I thought I was having the time of my life (in fact, up to that point, I was having the time of my life.) She was a year behind me in school so she would be staying behind in August when I went off to University. I thought we would try a long distance relationship too. It only made sense, I loved her, she loved me.  :headbang:
To make an otherwise long and boring story short, I met tons of new people. I hung out with people that caused me to think about things in ways I never had before. Experiences change your perspective, and it wasn't long before I broke up with Alyssa. For me, she was too far away, and she wasn't experiencing who I was becoming. Trying to catch up on the weekends quickly became absurd, and it was unfair for us to hold each other back.

These days, I still don't know what I want - but now I realize that I don't quite know. The point is that life is an adventure. One day you think you know it all, the next day you discover something new and incredible. :D
-Curio

Whitney

Quote from: "Godless"Sydney was pretty much the only girl I ever liked from my high school and I really don't want to give up that easily. I'll only give up if it's obvious that she doesn't like me or isn't into me. Besides, I've heard of people having long distance relationships in college and getting married later on with the same person. Yes, there are about ten times more people at Virginia Tech, my college, but that doesn't even mean I'll meet a tenth of those people and on top of that, I may not even find a girl that I like.

Over the next 4 to 5 years you are probably going to change so much that anyone you like now will seem a horrible match down the road.  People who marry their highschool sweethearts are rare (esp when they hardly dated in high school) and those who manage a long distance relationship are rare too (esp when there was almost no relationship prior to the distance).

Call her house one time if it will make you feel better...leave a message.  Then if she doesn't return your phone call within a timely manner (like 3 days or less) assume she's not interested in a relationship and move on.

Personally, I think it sounds like she just isn't interested right now  (or is playing hard to get...which is such a stupid game...I have told any guys who try that that I won't go on another date with them even if I otherwise would have).  So, if I were you, I'd figure out a way to be disinterested as well.

And remember....college girls tend to be smart and goal oriented (high school kids tend to be immature and clueless...no offense..it's just part of being a kid); so you are going to have a much better selection in college.

Godless

I called Sydney earlier today and she finally answered! Now that I can actually reach her now I want to take her out to do something. I was going to ask her out to see Public Enemies, but she already saw it and she said there aren't really any other movies out right now that she wants to see. I'm not really sure what to take her out to do... any suggestions?

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Godless"I called Sydney earlier today and she finally answered! Now that I can actually reach her now I want to take her out to do something. I was going to ask her out to see Public Enemies, but she already saw it and she said there aren't really any other movies out right now that she wants to see. I'm not really sure what to take her out to do... any suggestions?
Picnic. :) Get some take-out and go to the park!
-Curio

jrosebud

I'm one of the weirdos who married her high school sweetheart and dated him two years long-distance.  We're going on 8 years of marriage this month (and 12 years together come September).  So it can happen.  We've both changed a lot since high school, but luckily our changes complemented each other's.   :)

Hope it works out for you, Godless.
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

Godless

Quote from: "jrosebud"I'm one of the weirdos who married her high school sweetheart and dated him two years long-distance.  We're going on 8 years of marriage this month (and 12 years together come September).  So it can happen.  We've both changed a lot since high school, but luckily our changes complemented each other's.   :)

Hope it works out for you, Godless.

How was it like when you two were away for college?

Godless

Alright... I'm pretty certain that she's ignoring me because she doesn't answer any of my calls or texts anymore and she also doesn't respond to anything on Facebook. Damn this really sucks and I'm kinda sad  :(

MommaSquid

Quote from: "Godless"Alright... I'm pretty certain that she's ignoring me because she doesn't answer any of my calls or texts anymore and she also doesn't respond to anything on Facebook. Damn this really sucks and I'm kinda sad  :(

I'm sorry things didn't turn out the way you had hoped.    Ah, young love heartbreak...it will pass.