News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Circumcision

Started by Sophus, July 11, 2009, 07:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

curiosityandthecat

I'm cut, and thankful, too. The wife had never seen an uncircumcised penis (conservative Asian, remember), so I told her to look it up on the internet. She came running in from her office, saying, "Can I call your mother and thank her?"  roflol
-Curio

Kylyssa

Quote from: "rlrose328"
Quote from: "Kylyssa"
Quote from: "rlrose328"I know NO ONE who has a crooked penis because of circumcision or who has had ANY problems because of it.  Maybe if I had, it may have been an issue.

Maybe that's why I think of it as a big issue.  I have a friend I dearly love who has almost no sensation in his penis due to a post circumcision infection.  His parents didn't even know that not getting him circumcised was even an option.  

People are remarkably callous when it comes to male sexual dysfunction.

I'm not callous... I don't know if that was directed at me or not.  I feel for ANYONE who has sexual dysfunction... I have no mammary sensation whatsoever and while that's not pertinent to the act itself, it is still a major bummer.

I was just saying I know of no one (emphasis may have been  uncalled for) who has no sensation due to a botched circumcision.  That would definitely make an impact on your view of the procedure.

This is why I didn't want to get involved in this conversation.  I'm seen as callous for cutting my son's penis, apparently not caring whether he's scarred or not </sarcasm>.   We didn't do it for religious reasons or because we're some sort of baby abusers or because a doctor talked us into it.  They asked if we wanted to circumcise and we both said yes without even talking to each other.  Never occurred to us either to or not to do it.  If my son suffers for it, I will apologize profusely and offer to help him to something about it.  But right now, what's done is done and I don't regret it at all.

I'm not calling you callous, I'm saying people are callous to men who experience sexual dysfunction due to circumcision.  My friend first went to doctors and finally a sex therapist for his problem.  Even from doctors he often got a "shit happens" attitude towards his problem.  He's been called a whiner and told "well, some women never orgasm so quit complaining" by some folks.  At least his sex therapist has helped him with it and taught him some alternative ways to experience pleasure without judging or demeaning him for bringing it up.  

In many countries where their medical care is just as good as ours it is not even offered unless asked for because they never adopted circumcision as routine.  Routine circumcision is in place due to religious forces - it was adopted wholesale as an anti-masturbation procedure, not for legitimate medical reasons.  

It's not a "blame the parents" kind of issue.  It's a "change the system" kind of issue.  I don't blame you or any other parent for agreeing to routine circumcision - after all, who is going to think that the norm could be potentially harmful, especially when the hospital asks if you want it?

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: "Kylyssa"In many countries where their medical care is just as good as ours it is not even offered unless asked for because they never adopted circumcision as routine.  Routine circumcision is in place due to religious forces - it was adopted wholesale as an anti-masturbation procedure, not for legitimate medical reasons.  

If it was adopted wholesale as an anti-masturbation procedure, believe me it didn't work. The adoption of the internet as a pro-masturbation procedure more than offset that. ;)

As for the argument going on here, I'm okay with the procedure. Necessary? Probably not. Harmful? Not enough to bring about an anti-circumcision campaign to change the world.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

SSY

Circumcision is cutting of a bit of your penis, a bit of MY PENIS. No, when there is absolutley no reason to do it, no, never.

From what I have seen of snipped penises, the skin on the end looks like a type of tough leather, as opposed to my own smooth and glorious bellend, concealed safley in its soft pink sheath. When said bellend and glans rub on the fabric of my pants, it is very uncomfortable, the degree of desensitization that must occur in order to facilitate the friction of an exposed penis against the fabric of one's pants must be terrible.

This is just one of the points, though possibly the one that disturbs me most, the others, such as possibilities of botched operations, incredible pain inflicted etc have all be discussed quite well already.

I would never have forgiven my parents if they had mutilated me at birth, either for their own silly reasons or if they had just not thought hard enough to look out for my interests. To those people who say they are not pro or anti, they seem to be not backing up their words with deeds, if I am indifferent to something, I do not go through with it, especially if it entails the expenditure of effort and the pain of my children.

I honestly believe that in 200 or so years people will look back at this time and think it terrible and perverse what happened to all the poor chaps out there.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Tom62

I always thought that only Muslims and Jews practiced circumcisions for religious reasons. Never knew that this is also a common practice in the USA. Living in a country where circumcision is practically unknown among the non-Jewish and non-Muslim population, it sounds like a human rights infringement to me that parents send their children to a doctor to mutilate their genitals.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Fellow Traveler

Quote from: "Ihateyoumike"As for the argument going on here, I'm okay with the procedure. Necessary? Probably not. Harmful? Not enough to bring about an anti-circumcision campaign to change the world.

No, it's not necessary to change the world. Secular circumcision is only common in the US, so that's the only part of the world we really need to change.  ;)

Quote from: "Tom62"I always thought that only Muslims and Jews practiced circumcisions for religious reasons. Never knew that this is also a common practice in the USA. Living in a country where circumcision is practically unknown among the non-Jewish and non-Muslim population, it sounds like a human rights infringement to me that parents send their children to a doctor to mutilate their genitals.

In most other parts of the world it is. Unfortunately, for reasons that are not at all clear, it caught on in the US and for reasons that are even less clear, it has continued. However, the incidence has dropped considerably and currently only a slim majority are circumcised. There are wide regional variations.

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "SSY"From what I have seen of snipped penises, the skin on the end looks like a type of tough leather, as opposed to my own smooth and glorious bellend, concealed safley in its soft pink sheath. When said bellend and glans rub on the fabric of my pants, it is very uncomfortable, the degree of desensitization that must occur in order to facilitate the friction of an exposed penis against the fabric of one's pants must be terrible.
But you have to wash it more often :sadcry:

...I totally agree.

rlrose328

My husband has been cut since birth and he couldn't possibly BE more sensitive (and the risk of really pissing him off for bringing him up in this conversation... LOL!).  He scoffs at the "rubbing and less sensitive" argument.  

It does hurt my feelings when people go on and on about how it's mutilation and wrong.  I'm one of those people who made that choice (for lack of a better word) for my son and he's got no problems at all... and trust me, he runs around here naked all the time these days ("FREEDOM" he cries at the top of his 9yo lungs) so we get a full view of his soft, pink, straight as an arrow penis almost every day.   lol

As I said before... if he decides later that we mutilated him or that he has problems because of it, I'll do what I can to help him.  Until then, it is what it is and the decision has been made.

I just wonder, though... how many men have no problems and have never had a problem who have heard the mutilation argument and have then decided they are angry about it.  Knowing my son like I do, he'd be easily led down that path.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Heretical Rants"But you have to wash it more often roflol
-Curio

AlP

I'm not cut and I prefer it that way. I sometimes get surprised reactions from women when they first see it now I live in the US but it's never been a big deal. It seems from the guys I've spoken to about it and the posts on this forum that most men are pretty happy with whatever their parents decided to do. I don't think it makes sex less pleasurable and I don't think there are significant health benefits to being cut if you shower every day. I've never had any infection down there but I've had infections in my ear, in cuts, in my gums... I'd love to see some statistics to back up this idea that circumcision is healthier. So male circumcision I don't care about. Female circumcision makes me very angry. That's basically removing the piece of a woman's body that allows her to enjoy sex. That's not remotely comparable to male circumcision. A better analogy would be cutting off the entire head of the penis.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Sophus

Quote from: "AlP"I'd love to see some statistics to back up this idea that circumcision is healthier.
From my understanding it's very low. Will posted a link to information earlier which might ahve your answer. :)

QuoteSo male circumcision I don't care about. Female circumcision makes me very angry.

Oh I agree. It didn't occur to me to to make the topic about that since surely everyone here would be of the same opinion.... (I hope)
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Fellow Traveler

Quote from: "AlP"It seems from the guys I've spoken to about it and the posts on this forum that most men are pretty happy with whatever their parents decided to do.
I think you're right. There are two problems though. First, there are some men who do care. Some intact men choose to get circumcised while some circumcised men try to reverse the procedure. The problem is that if you were circumcised and unhappy about it you're sort of SOL. The second problem is that complications can, and do occur. Considering that it is an unnecessary intervention performed on a non-consenting individual I don't think any risk of complications is reasonable.

Quote from: "AIP"Female circumcision makes me very angry. That's basically removing the piece of a woman's body that allows her to enjoy sex. That's not remotely comparable to male circumcision. A better analogy would be cutting off the entire head of the penis.

Both make me very angry. However you should know that there are many kinds of Female circumcision, it isn't always cutting off the clit or sewing the vagina shut. Some kinds are less invasive then MC.

Kylyssa

An interesting informational site on circumcision.  It was quite interesting to read as an American - the opinions are so different from the average American view on circumcision.  

So does it mean the Brits are a bunch of savages for only performing circumcisions when medically necessary or specifically requested?

Sophus

Quote from: "Fellow Traveler"Considering that it is an unnecessary intervention performed on a non-consenting individual I don't think any risk of complications is reasonable.
That is true. You just convinced me.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Heretical Rants

Regrowing the foreskin.

It sounds rather unpleasant, and you can never get the nerve endings back anyway...