News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

It's Sunday. What are you going to do today?

Started by Tank, February 14, 2021, 10:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Somebody quoted Dr Miriam Grossman to promote their anti-trans belief and I wanted to know more about her. I found a lecture given by her in which she promotes the idea that science is only now confirming the facts about women's fertility that the Torah has contained for millennia. Hmm, a familiar theme, so I looked at what else was on the page with her lecture. I found an article claiming that "accepting Darwinian evolution requires a leap of faith that may be more radical and less substantiated than to believe that G-d created the world in six days and on the seventh day He rested."

My curiosity thoroughly piqued, I began to explore the world of conservative Judaism. An intriguing journey, and it's more complex than I had previously known. There are even the Jewish equivalent of biblical literalists. I had thought that modern Jews believed the Talmud was an essential text. I knew that the Sadducees liked to stick to the book while the Pharisees believed rabbis were essential, but that was a long time ago. Hours later, and I don't think I've explored all the branches of this particular tree of mythology. In any case, as I understand it the site linked above is promoting a Chasidic line of belief, more or less. Not "Torah literalists" per se, but happy to believe that science can only confirm the Torah, and any discrepancy is an indication of failure on the part of science.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

Was going to do some wood carving, but my smashed finger isn't healed enough, and I can't hold the project/tools well enough. It's going to be awhile for that finger nail to grow out enough.  :(  I'll try again later today when it quits throbbing.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Recusant

It's always an exciting moment when you smash a finger. One of my more memorable occasions involved a 22 oz. (0.6 kilo) framing hammer with a waffle head (milled face) during a demolition job.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

^ Ouch! It's funny how things change. In '88 I built an addition on my previous house. I made the forms from 2" X 6" lumber so that I could use them for joists after the foundation cured. I was knocking the forms apart with a 2 pound sledge and smashed my thumb when they slipped.  :rant1:  I went and bandaged my thumb and got back to work. Lot of sweat and blood in that job. It took me 18 months of weekends, holidays and vacation days, including after coming home from work. I sure wish I had some of that energy now!

billy rubin

if you hauled poop like i seem fated to do you discover extra energy running away as it comes out of tbe box.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on November 12, 2023, 09:23:49 PMif you hauled poop like i seem fated to do you discover extra energy running away as it comes out of tbe box.

It's gonna get you one day :rofl: