News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Oh the delusion...

Started by Rastelin, June 29, 2009, 01:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rastelin

There are times when I feel reason have gone away for a drink, and people indulge them selves in what can only be described as an orgy in self delusion. I overheard two women at a cafe talking about the old Greece and the laughable belief they lived by. It was that god Zeus and lesser gods having sex with mortal women and so on. They talked about how the bible warns against such heathen beliefs and how people at that time got by without the good book.

At which point I leaned over and politely inquired... “Excuse me ladies. Are you aware of Genesis 6:1-6?” They smiled, said no and asked if I was a christian. I said not exactly. Can you please write down the verse and promise me that you will look it up when you have the chance. They looked puzzled but did, and for those who are unfamiliar with the verse in question here it goes.

“And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose. And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years. There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown. And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.”

Now I am not a cruel man, but I really had a slightly perverse desire to be the fly on the wall when they choked on that passage that tells how angels took mortal women to bed. Only for the reason to observe the mouth open and close, and then watch the denial step in to save the feeble minded from facing their own deceit.

Ancient cultures had it much simpler. They knew their gods where drunk lunatics who boned their relatives and waged wars on another as is proper for any genocidal god to do. They didn't have to put up with problematic explaining/excuses to try to fit religion in to a modern world. What depresses me is that I know these two ladies are representative for a great number of born again Christians. And when they run in to an atheist like my self, I feel compelled to be somewhat of an asshole. Not in a vulgar sense, but Christians like these are to easy it's not even fun. You just give them the mouse trap and they will freely add the finger on the trigger.

Anyway. Just wanted to share. Suffer from a slight case of insomania :kitty:
A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
-- Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

thiolsulfate

I suppose it was better when all you had to was acknowledge gods and not revere them.

I have a personal favorite verse.
Quote2 Kings 2:23-24 (King James Version)

23And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

24And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

Is there nothing so divinely benevolent as two bears killing 42 children?

The Book of Job is another great source of god's dickery.

AlP

Lol. It's awesome that you were able to reference a particular verse from memory!
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Rastelin

Quote from: "thiolsulfate"I suppose it was better when all you had to was acknowledge gods and not revere them.

I have a personal favorite verse.
Quote2 Kings 2:23-24 (King James Version)

23And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

24And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

Is there nothing so divinely benevolent as two bears killing 42 children?

The Book of Job is another great source of god's dickery.
Dickery doesn't even begin to cover it. Apparently people at the time felt the mauling and killing of many children was a perfect way of displaying gods love, or what ever passes for love in that damn book.
A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.

Rastelin

Quote from: "AlP"Lol. It's awesome that you were able to reference a particular verse from memory!
Acually I told them to write down Genesis 6: 1-6 so they would remember to read the passages when they came home. I only remembered parts of it, but enough to know these ladies where in for a surprise. Since they felt so strongly about those primitive Greeks :D

thiolsulfate

Quote from: "Rastelin"[...]
Dickery doesn't even begin to cover it. Apparently people at the time felt the mauling and killing of many children was a perfect way of displaying gods love, or what ever passes for love in that damn book.
There's always the "I love you" rainbow after the pan-species genocide flood.

JillSwift

Quote from: "thiolsulfate"
Quote from: "Rastelin"[...]
There's always the "I love you" rainbow after the pan-species genocide flood.
It's tough love.

Humanity: "That doesn't seem much like love, though."
God: "TOUGH!"
[size=50]Teleology]

jrosebud

Quote from: "thiolsulfate"There's always the "I love you" rainbow after the pan-species genocide flood.

And isn't it sweet to see that charming story as nursery decor?   :eek:
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins