News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Cell Phone Contract Workaround?

Started by Godless, July 02, 2009, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godless

I've had my cell phone for a year and I'm on a two-year contract and I'm not very satisfied with it... It's just too basic for me and being the geek that I am I want something nicer. I've been looking at the Blackberry Storm 9530 and it seems really good with some features similar to the iPhone. The thing is I don't want to have to pay full price ($600) nor the cancellation fee. I was wondering if there is a way around the contract to get a new plan with the Blackberry?

joeactor

You'd have to work it out with your cell phone provider.

After a year, you can't really say you didn't like the phone.
I know after about 18 months, Verizon will consider upgrading your phone and giving you a new 2 year contract.

Also, not to start a war, but skip the Blackberry... and the IPhone.

Go with a Palm Pre.
(you're welcome ;-)

JoeActor

Whitney

Quote from: "Godless"I've had my cell phone for a year and I'm on a two-year contract and I'm not very satisfied with it... It's just too basic for me and being the geek that I am I want something nicer. I've been looking at the Blackberry Storm 9530 and it seems really good with some features similar to the iPhone. The thing is I don't want to have to pay full price ($600) nor the cancellation fee. I was wondering if there is a way around the contract to get a new plan with the Blackberry?

I think you should be able to sign another 2 year contract (making your contract 3 years).  We did that with my husbands Tmobile phone because he just had to have a smart phone....ok, by we I mean he did it and didn't tell me till after the contract was signed  :mad:  But, the contract was probably within a few months of expiring anyway...but I do know that ATT has let my dad change phones just by signing a new contract.

curiosityandthecat

Whitney's right. Typically, by signing another contract, you can upgrade. There's a limit to it, though. Otherwise, people would be doing it every few months for a free phone. It's what we did to get our matching Blackjack IIs (wife's idea; I swear).

I suggesting getting an HTC. It's one of the best phones (and least known around the US) in the world.  :)
-Curio

Godless

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Whitney's right. Typically, by signing another contract, you can upgrade. There's a limit to it, though. Otherwise, people would be doing it every few months for a free phone. It's what we did to get our matching Blackjack IIs (wife's idea; I swear).

I suggesting getting an HTC. It's one of the best phones (and least known around the US) in the world.  :)

Does that void my old contract? Or does that mean I'll have two contracts and I have to pay for both phones? I have Verizon btw...

Godless

Do you guys think I should just buy a Blackberry Storm from eBay? Is that even safe?

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Godless"Do you guys think I should just buy a Blackberry Storm from eBay? Is that even safe?
Depends. Are you a gambling man? ;)

Quote from: "Godless"Does that void my old contract? Or does that mean I'll have two contracts and I have to pay for both phones? I have Verizon btw...
Depends on what phones your service provider will allow you to use if you renew your contract. You'll have to talk to them, though. Their contracts and rate structures are insanely complex. It's an American thing, really. Outside the US it's not nearly this crazy. A typical cell phone bill in Asia (outside Japan) tends to run five or ten dollars a month.
-Curio

Whitney

Quote from: "Godless"Does that void my old contract? Or does that mean I'll have two contracts and I have to pay for both phones? I have Verizon btw...

With ours, it just tacked on additional time to the original contract.  Why don't you call Verizon and ask them?

Godless

HAHA GUESS WHAT?! I GOT THE BLACKBERRY STORM UPGRADE! I went to the Verizon store at the mall where I work asked for an upgrade. He asked me to hook him up with a free movie (Harry Potter) later, since I work at AMC Theatres and still had my uniform on, and I agreed. So he then calls his boss and his boss approved it to my delight! I'm so happy right now! :D

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Godless"HAHA GUESS WHAT?! I GOT THE BLACKBERRY STORM UPGRADE! I went to the Verizon store at the mall where I work asked for an upgrade. He asked me to hook him up with a free movie (Harry Potter) later, since I work at AMC Theatres and still had my uniform on, and I agreed. So he then calls his boss and his boss approved it to my delight! I'm so happy right now! :D
Proof that it's not what you know, it's who.
-Curio