News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Meaning of Life

Started by and2premiere, June 26, 2009, 05:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glintofpewter

QuoteAlp wrote
My answer: the meaning of life is whatever it is you have done.

It has been said that we seek meaning because we are aware of mortality. That's why we choose to "make something of it."

AlP

Quote from: "glintofpewter"
QuoteAlp wrote
My answer: the meaning of life is whatever it is you have done.

It has been said that we seek meaning because we are aware of mortality. That's why we choose to "make something of it."

I agree with that. Death as the ultimate yardstick.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Sophus

Quote from: "AlP"His ideas are intriguing. I would recommend his work if you are interested in existentialism. His most famous work is Being and Nothing. I recommend reading Heidegger's Being and Time first though because in many ways Sartre's ideas follow on from Heidegger's. Be warned though, their writing style is nothing like that of Nietzsche. They go into precise analysis that is difficult to follow (at least I found it so). I read "Existentialist Philosophy: an introduction" by L. Nathan Oaklander before either of these. Had I not done so, I think I would have given up on both books. That also contains selections from the works of 6 existentialist philosophers with the longest by Heidegger and Sartre.

Thanks! I'll have to check him out.  :hail:
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Recusant

Quote from: "AIP"...precise analysis that is difficult to follow...

I agree with this, though I have found almost all serious books on philosophy take careful reading.  I would recommend some of Sartre's "lighter" stuff too:  I particularly enjoyed Nausea and No Exit and Three Other Plays.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken