News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Prophecy thread

Started by Adam4, June 22, 2009, 06:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam4

Can anyone link me resources that refutes ALL biblical prophecies?
P.s. yes I tried google, and the skeptics annonated bible.

Whitney

That might be a tough one since not any one denomination tends to agree on what is and is not prophecy.

McQ

Wish I could help. But also, you can't even get christians to agree on what a prophecy is. Like they don't even agree on a definition of it. You'd think that would be a slam dunk, but it isn't.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

thiolsulfate

The problem with indefinite Prophecies is that one can never really be wrong.

I can say "One day we will ride unicorns to the moon," and I can never really be wrong. "It simply hasn't happened yet," is what I would say if I was a priest of the Church of the Moon Unicorn.

-- Also, all hail Luna, the Moon Unicorn!

Adam4

Ok then, any resources proving that they were written after the fact?

thiolsulfate

Adam4

Quote from: "thiolsulfate"All "successful" prophecies are postdictive.

That is probably true, but what I'm looking for is historical proof.

Heretical Rants

I'm pretty sure I can list all the prophecies in the Jefferson Bible:

thiolsulfate

Just off the top of my head.

QuoteEzekiel 29

29:10  Behold, therefore I am against thee, and against thy rivers, and I will make the land of Egypt utterly waste and desolate, from the tower of Syene even unto the border of Ethiopia.
29:11 No foot of man shall pass through it, nor foot of beast shall pass through it, neither shall it be inhabited forty years.

29:19  Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will give the land of Egypt unto Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon; and he shall take her multitude, and take her spoil, and take her prey; and it shall be the wages for his army.   
29:20 I have given him the land of Egypt for his labour wherewith he served against it, because they wrought for me, saith the Lord GOD.

Ezekiel 30

30:4  And the sword shall come upon Egypt, and great pain shall be in Ethiopia, when the slain shall fall in Egypt, and they shall take away her multitude, and her foundations shall be broken down.
30:5  Ethiopia, and Libya, and Lydia, and all the mingled people, and Chub, and the men of the land that is in league, shall fall with them by the sword.
30:6  Thus saith the LORD; They also that uphold Egypt shall fall; and the pride of her power shall come down: from the tower of Syene shall they fall in it by the sword, saith the Lord GOD.   
30:7 And they shall be desolate in the midst of the countries that are desolate, and her cities shall be in the midst of the cities that are wasted.    
30:8 And they shall know that I am the LORD, when I have set a fire in Egypt, and when all her helpers shall be destroyed.

30:10  Thus saith the Lord GOD; I will also make the multitude of Egypt to cease by the hand of Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon.   
30:11 He and his people with him, the terrible of the nations, shall be brought to destroy the land: and they shall draw their swords against Egypt, and fill the land with the slain.

30:25  But I will strengthen the arms of the king of Babylon, and the arms of Pharaoh shall fall down; and they shall know that I am the LORD, when I shall put my sword into the hand of the king of Babylon, and he shall stretch it out upon the land of Egypt.   
30:26 And I will scatter the Egyptians among the nations, and disperse them among the countries; and they shall know that I am the LORD.

Book of Ezekiel 29,30, god says that Nebuchadnezzar and the Army of Babylonia will destroy Egypt and smash all her idols and pulverize her into the desert and dry up the Nile and set her alight-- which we know are all empirically false and never happened. We know this is false for two reasons: 1. Egypt still exists, the Nile is not dry and all the of idols are still there and more are found with every passing day. 2. The bible says that Egypt was not destroyed and therefore Babylonia must pay.

This however was only kept in the Bible because it justifies god's command for the "destruction of Babylon" for failing to fulfill god's prophecy to destroy Egypt. In a new Prophecy in Jeremiah 51, god promises the obliteration of Babylon.

QuoteJeremiah 51

51:12  Set up the standard upon the walls of Babylon, make the watch strong, set up the watchmen, prepare the ambushes: for the LORD hath both devised and done that which he spake against the inhabitants of Babylon.

51:29  And the land shall tremble and sorrow: for every purpose of the LORD shall be performed against Babylon, to make the land of Babylon a desolation without an inhabitant.

51:34  Nebuchadrezzar the king of Babylon hath devoured me, he hath crushed me, he hath made me an empty vessel, he hath swallowed me up like a dragon, he hath filled his belly with my delicates, he hath cast me out.   
51:35 The violence done to me and to my flesh be upon Babylon, shall the inhabitant of Zion say; and my blood upon the inhabitants of Chaldea, shall Jerusalem say.   
51:36 Therefore thus saith the LORD; Behold, I will plead thy cause, and take vengeance for thee; and I will dry up her sea, and make her springs dry.   
51:37 And Babylon shall become heaps, a dwellingplace for dragons, an astonishment, and an hissing, without an inhabitant.

Apparently this was "fulfilled" when Babylonia fell to the Persians therefore "proving" the prophecy of the destruction of Babylonia who had failed to fulfill the other prophecy of destroying Egypt.

-- oddly, Babylonia and Babylon in particular existed as one of the Crown Jewels of the Persian Empire for over 900 years and is lovingly referred to as "the Cradle of Civilization" -- so... so much for prophecy.

Those are all I can think of off the top of my head.

(Bible verses are King James version -- as though that should make any difference)