News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Is hypnosis science or pseudoscience?

Started by Whitney, June 20, 2009, 01:15:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanReal

I'd agree that it's psychological so would be a soft science.  I did a session with a therpist in Plano about two Summers ago for smoking cessation and I have to say it really worked.  But, while he was talking me out of smoking and had me all relaxed, watching the aves on a beach, and the "white noise" was playing I still was very aware of my surroundings and at any moment could have sat up, said "this is bunk" and not have had any problem. (Like when people walk around hypnotized until the hypnoist snaps them out of it on tv.)  However, I was hoping it would help, since my addiction to cigarettes is psychlogical why not use something that is psychological to combat it?  So, I was receptive and although I felt silly at first that went away and I laid back and kept an open mind.  Actually after ward I felt as thought I'd had the best nap EVER, even though I never "went to sleep".

Now, I still had to wear the patch for the chemical addiction, and to keep from rapidly swinging into mood filled rages, but truly the desire for a cig went away with the triggers he gave me and I was smoke free for months with no relapse.

Of course, I have a teenage son who provided the perfect excuse for me to jump back on the Marlboro train...I keep meaning to listed to the CD the guy made for me.  I don't because I'm not a willing participant so I think it would be a waste of time at this point.
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. (Kathy Norris)
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)

michael

Quote from: "Whitney"I am wanting educated opinions on if there is any validity to hypnosis and its ability to cause changes in people.

Hey Whitney,

I can give you an educated opinion.  About 10 years ago I studied with a hypnotist to learn what it was all about.  There are many people who will tell you different, but hypnotism is no more or less than a way to reach the subconscious mind more easily.

The reason why this can sometimes help change people is that your subconscious mind to a large extent controls your life, your actions, your thoughts.  I'm not sure if I can explain this as well as I understand it, but, for example, let's say that the entire time you were growing up, your parents always told you that you were worthless, good for nothing, etc.  So then a "proper" use of hypnosis would an attempt to reach your subconscious mind to counteract that.  Because reaching the subconscious mind is a faster way to make changes.

Someone mentioned NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) and they are right, this is all pretty much the same thing.

But the idea that hypnotism is somehow magical or that it can make you do things that you don't really want to do is BS.

All of the above based on my experience and training.
Hi.  Click these links to follow me on Twitter, friend me on Facebook, and visit my personal website.
[size=85]"But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under

Invidy

Hmm, I suppose a late comment is better than no comment at all.

I've only taken high school psychology, but I do remember the subject a little.

One type of change that can be almost instantaneous is change brought about by the use of hypnosis to remember repressed memories.  Essentially there is a memory you intentionally don't want to think about because it makes you uncomfortable, but without facing the memory many people wind up having destructive personalities.  Hypnosis puts you in a state of ease that allows you to face things you might otherwise not want to.

However the use of reclaiming memories with hypnosis often yields false memories, not necessarily to the fault of hypnosis, but more likely due to the fault of human memory retention.  

I watched a news story once that showed a person who used hypnosis instead of regular numbing agents for his root canal. He didn't make a noise the entire time.  I was shocked.

Destin897

Thank you for sharing such a nice and informative thoughts and experience here. Hypnosis is a scientifically verified and effective technique that can promote accelerated human change. I have seen lot of improvement and changes in me after trying the Hypnosis. I got the complete information and Hypnotherapy from  thoughtsbecomereality.co.uk.

admin edit:  your post seems like spam so I removed the url.  If it was not intended to advertise the website then be aware that posting a link with promotional text for a site on your first post without any real content is spammish.

LoneMateria

Since this thread is brought back to life (and since I only read the spam part) i'm going to point out that Penn and Teller did a Bullshit! episode on Hypnosis (season 2 episode 13).  Check it out if you think it has any remote relation to science.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Ellainix

Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

Alrick_Benjamin

Hypnosis helps to make us normal and relieve us from stress, smoking, insomnia, etc. Even though its a brain washing it is good for us. By the way i go more information about the hypnosis from thoughtsbecomereality. I took a good hypnosis treatment from them to quit from smoking. They provide a best treatments and better advice. And they also provide a hypnosis DVD it was very helpful for me. TO get more information about the hypnosis go to thoughtsbecomereality site

squidmin edit: This is the second post with this url from two different accounts.  This is suspect.

LoneMateria

Quote from: "Alrick_Benjamin"Hypnosis helps to make us normal and relieve us from stress, smoking, insomnia, etc. Even though its a brain washing it is good for us. By the way i go more information about the hypnosis from thoughtsbecomereality. I took a good hypnosis treatment from them to quit from smoking. They provide a best treatments and better advice. And they also provide a hypnosis DVD it was very helpful for me. TO get more information about the hypnosis go to thoughtsbecomereality site

squidmin edit: This is the second post with this url from two different accounts.  This is suspect.

Somebody obviously didn't watch Penn and Teller's Bullshit! episode.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Whitney

Quote from: "Alrick_Benjamin"squidmin edit: This is the second post with this url from two different accounts.  This is suspect.

Thanks, IP matches Destin897.

I'm going to assume they are simply spammers and ban both of the accounts.  Alrick_Benjamin and Destin897; if you just happened to both be friends/siblings/spouses or whatever that are simply really excited about the link you posted then you can email me to request access to the forum. admin at happyatheistforum.com