News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Hi from a new member

Started by Jumile, June 10, 2009, 05:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumile

Hi all,

Well, I finally signed up! I'm quite active in humanist/atheist and skeptical topics via Twitter and my blog, and had this forum recommended to me (sorry, I don't remember who).

I won't give you my road to reason here -- as I've already blogged about it extensively -- save to say that I was brought up by believers, was one myself, I've subsequently explored a number of beliefs, and have now realised that evidence-based reality is the only logical position. My conclusion and position are based on logic and deduction rather than incident or anger, so I find secular humanism to be the most appropriate world view, due to its naturalistic world view with inbuilt ethics and compassion. I'm inclined to think that belief/credulity is a human trait, so don't vilify others for their beliefs -- even if I do think such beliefs are stupid. :)

I look forward to joining in. Nice to be here.

Cheers,
Jumile
Jumile
[size=50]Carl Sagan on the pale blue dot]home[/i]. That's us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys & sufferings... every saint & sinner in the history of our species - lived there on a mote of d

joeactor

Nice to meet you, Jumile - Welcome!

Your views seem fine by me.  You have definite opinions, with a "live and let live" attitude...

Resident Agnostic Theist,
JoeActor

thedove62001

Hi all, I just registered a little while ago. I am 54 years old. I was raised Christian, was very zealous for the faith and doctrine. My journey has taken me through several different types of christianities as I now like to call them, ended up Hardnose Calvinistic separatist for several years, became a preterist (believing all end time happened by 70A.D or so and then lost faith in the Bible and religion in general.  I Left Church after 9-11-2001 and haven't been back since.   I find my life is much more peaceful and freer.  I do alot more listening these days than debating.   I don't have much time these days because of work to be active in much but look forward to listiening in and maybe I will enter the discussions from time to time.

Whitney

Welcome to the forum Jumile and thedove.  I'm glad to have you here.

Quote from: "Jumile"mature discussion without irrational emotion, dogma or unsupportable beliefs. Or so I hope... :) ) Btw, I just added you on twitter, I'm HappyAtheist on there.

McQ

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Jumile

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

And welcome to the forum, thedove62001
Jumile
[size=50]Carl Sagan on the pale blue dot]home[/i]. That's us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys & sufferings... every saint & sinner in the history of our species - lived there on a mote of d

oldboy

Hello Everyone,

I've just registered with the Happy Atheist Forum. I can't tell you how good it feels to be among like-minded friends. Coming out as a longtime atheist is certainly much easier now thanks to the internet and forums like this. I'm looking forward to learning much through discourse with you.

Cheers

Oldboy
Blackadder: If you can't make money, you'll have to marry it.
Prince George: Marry? Never! I'm a gay bachelor, Blackadder; I'm a roarer, a rogerer, a gorger and a puker! I can't marry, I'm young, I'm firm buttocked, I'm...
Blackadder: Broke?
Prince George: Well, yes, I suppose so.
Blackadder: And don't forget sir, that the modern church smiles o

Recusant

Wow; three for one deal going here.  And two from

"This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself..."

(I'm an American currently visiting--and loving it.)

Welcome, Jumile, thedove62001, and  oldboy!

I think Blackadder was one of the best comedy series ever to grace the small screen.     Wibble.   Wibble, wibble.  :hail:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken