News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Re: Point of contention - help please!

Started by Squid, June 08, 2010, 04:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogsmycopilot

Quote from: "AtheistBrit"Hi everyone,

So I'm having a discussion with someone who is a christian and we've reached a point where we seem to be sticking.  He asserts that the burden of proof should be laid at my feet because I am making an assertion ("there is no god") that the majority of the world holds to be false.  I assert that the burden of proof should be laid at HIS feet because he is making an assertion that is a positive assertion ("There IS a god") and negative assertions such as "there is NO god" don't require nearly such a hefty burden of proof.

Which one of us is correct and why?

By the way I've already pointed out the "argumentum ad populum" which he maintains he is not committing because he's not saying "I'm right because most people are", he's saying "the burden of proof lies with you because it's the minority belief".

Thanks guys!  I'd appreciate some help with this one. :)
You are wrong. Don't try to teach the pigs to sing. It won't work. The burden of proof does not have to be on him, as I always see atheists argue. Logic and its rules are great in formal debates but in real life science pretty much proves that there need be no god for us to have come into existence. We have something rather than nothing because nothing is unstable. Read some physics instead of arguing with fools, you'll get more out of it.