News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Okay.

Started by Asmodean Prime, January 14, 2007, 06:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean Prime

I'm not an atheist, or even an agnostic.  I grew up in a part-Muslim part-Catholic household (one parent from each faith), and I was raised Muslim, even though I grew up in the US.  I'm just wondering what makes some of you more vocal atheists tick.  You know, your ideas, your motivations, etc.  I'm not trying to indoctrinate or convert anyone here; my interest is purely "intellectual", I guess.

Kestrel

Not being an atheist, the most I will say is....Hi.  :)
The thing that I call living is just being satisfied, with knowing I've got no one left to blame. - Gordon Lightfoot

joeactor

Hi Starless - and Welcome!

I'm an Agnostic Theist myself, but I can tell you what gets my jaws flapping the most is when others try to push their views.

I don't mind if you believe differently than me.  In the end, nobody knows the answers.  But please don't tell me that I'm going to suffer eternal torment because I don't buy into your beliefs.

(and, no, I don't mean you - I'm sure you're very nice ;-))

I would assume that most atheists would remain silent about their viewpoints if not prompted by conversations attempting to convince or convert them...

Where's everyone else stand on this?

C'mon Atheists - speak up!
  JoeActor

Whitney

Hey Starless

The main reason I care about religion because so many people here in the US think it okay to combine religious beliefs with government in order to get others to do what their religion dictates as right....some have even gone so far as to try an argue that separation of church and state was never an intention of the founders.

I don't care if people believe in something I don't think exists as long as they don't expect me to believe the same or think less of those who don't have that belief (it's very common for theists to associate immorality with atheism...that's a view which needs to somehow be changed).  It also can be very frustrating, even angering, to see idiots hating, fighting wars, each other just because they believe in different religions.  

The main problem I see with religion is that in most cases followers are taught to accept rather than question....it's this sort of blind acceptance which leads to most of the atrosities related to religion.  Many atheists see this as a reason to push for a religion-free world; yet that wouldn't do any good since there are other organizations/governments which people could follow blindly.  I think humanity just needs to take steps to ensure that everyone is taught how to be free thinkers....

So, as far as being vocal goes:

I stand up for free thought, tolerance, and keeping church/state separate.

Kestrel

Quote from: "laetusatheos"The main problem I see with religion is that in most cases followers are taught to accept rather than question....it's this sort of blind acceptance which leads to most of the atrosities related to religion...  

...I think humanity just needs to take steps to ensure that everyone is taught how to be free thinkers....

Be vewy, vewy careful here.

Highlight not withstanding I agree with the gist of your post.
The key however, is this;
QuoteI stand up for free thought, tolerance, and keeping church/state separate.
The responsibility is on the individual. For example your willingness for tolerance.

The paradox is this;
Once one believes that their ideas or ideals of tolerance should be taught to another, it voids the idea of individual responsibility.

See what I mean?
The thing that I call living is just being satisfied, with knowing I've got no one left to blame. - Gordon Lightfoot

donkeyhoty

Quote from: "Kestrel"The paradox is this;
Once one believes that their ideas or ideals of tolerance should be taught to another, it voids the idea of individual responsibility.

Wrong, individual responsibility is even more important in that case.

Being caught up in a riot(mob rule) does not excuse the individual from heinous acts, just as a dogmatic belief structure should not excuse an individual from heinous acts done for the supposed "greater good" of that belief i.e. Inquistions, suicide bombings, killing abortion doctors, etc.

Individual responsibilty(accountability) is the most important aspect of a "civil" society, without it you destroy the need for such things as foresight and empathy.  If we blindly accept whatever absolutes are forced upon us, we, as individuals excuse our responsiblities because "God wills it" that we proselytize, demonize other beliefs, and kill non-believers.

As an atheist, something that makes me tick, is the removal of accountability from the world as we further devolve into a planet of absolutists shirking planetary responsibilty for our own dogma infused self-interest.

To sum it all up, 6 billion people asleep at the wheel...
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

Kestrel

Quote from: "donkeyhoty"
Quote from: "Kestrel"The paradox is this;

Wrong, individual responsibility is even more important in that case.

Being caught up in a riot(mob rule) does not excuse the individual from heinous acts, just as a dogmatic belief structure should not excuse an individual from heinous acts done for the supposed "greater good" of that belief i.e. Inquistions, suicide bombings, killing abortion doctors, etc.

Individual responsibilty(accountability) is the most important aspect of a "civil" society, without it you destroy the need for such things as foresight and empathy.  If we blindly accept whatever absolutes are forced upon us, we, as individuals excuse our responsiblities because "God wills it" that we proselytize, demonize other beliefs, and kill non-believers.

As an atheist, something that makes me tick, is the removal of accountability from the world as we further devolve into a planet of absolutists shirking planetary responsibilty for our own dogma infused self-interest.

To sum it all up, 6 billion people asleep at the wheel...

I understand your position.